General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

air compressor install / usage questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air compressor install / usage questions

im thinkin of picking up a NIB firestone air bag kit, with the compressor, first thing, i guess its for a half ton, i have a 3/4 ton dodge with a 6" lift, but i also have a welder/mechanical skills so i think i can fab up the bags to work, but mainly, i want the compressor to work for additional things as well. im not sure if this kit comes with a small tank or not, but i want to be able to run a hose to fill up a tire etc, as well as pressure up the bags from the cab with the supplied switch. i would think i should have no trouble doing some plumbing, maybe a check valve here and there so i can use the compressor for other things, as well as work as intended for the air bags. those who've seen the setup, do you think i can do this? thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM

I suppose as long as the bags are rated for the same amount of weight and you can get them mounted up I don't see a huge issue on that end. As to the compressor filling up your (I assume 35-37") tires you most likely will find it lacking depending on it's cfm output and duty cycle. What year is your truck maybe fill out your signature. And how much is this kit you're looking at, and what all is included? There might be some better options available at a price you can live with.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM

ya, i'll fill out the sig here right away, they are 37's, im not sure whats all included, i think its the one with a gauge and a switch to adjust pressure as your going type thing. its not like i'll be airing up tires all the time, just a cool to have, emergency thing.. not 100% sure on price yet, it will involve a trade for some stuff i have lying around type thing. i guess i'd like to hear if this compressor is a complete peice of ****, or is it worth the time it takes to mount it type thing?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:49 PM

this is what he said

The bags are firestone and heavy duty. Comes with a compressor similar looking to a mini tire inflator/ compressor. You can adjust your bag press on the fly. guage and swith mount in dash. Adjust ride to your likeing or load demand. no air tank with the kit, but you can plumb one in easily

think i'm gunna go for it.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM

kits small...

i had the same style kit on a ford with a 4in lift... increased the lift to 12 in and ended up flipping the bracket and adding a 10round by 8in tall big rig bag and a tank.. the tanks easy you just need to set the pump off of a pressure switch for say 80psi and get valves for the bags... kinda better off making ur own.. pick up a viair pump a tank and valves and get the bags at any local truck shop...
thats my .02
Old 10-21-2009, 04:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Firestone kit came with a small tank because the compressor isn't big enough to air up the bags by themselves without working the compressor really hard.

I'd look for another kit with the tank.

Kris
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM

are you sure that is the reasoning behind the tank? its not maybe an extra option type thing? because if this kit doesn't come with a tank, maybe the compressor is better? (hopin here..) i do plan on adding my own custom tank somewhere etc..