General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Advice: Planning on getting a Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also... I have heard very good things about John-Deere branded engine coolant. May want to research this some, but has anyone else tried using this product in your engine? I would think it would work well, but I could be wrong...?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's great. I'm glad to hear more of these high mileage stories. I'm thinking about getting a 12 pack of Mopar 5083285AA oil filters from ebay. I heard Mopar, Fleetgaurd and Cummins are the only filters to go with so... Ever since I learned about the Fram filters about 2 years ago, I have never touched another one. I don't really live in a cold climate area, but if synthetic helps build oil pressure faster then I'm certainly down with that. But couldn't switching to synthetic on an engine with this many miles actually do some damage? Not only because it could free up some grime that's in the engine due to its cleaning capabilities but also because it could slip past worn seals?

I already surprised someone today with the mileage. I went to see this guy who does an excellent job with re-upholstery. And when he saw the odometer, I can tell he thought I was crazy for buying the truck . But he said he doesn't deal with diesels and would never buy one (due to the extra initial cost and repair costs)... So I guess he doesn't know about them much.

Hopefully I can do some maintenance this week and get that KDP fixed. How many hours did it take you to do the KDP? And did you use a new gasket for the timing cover?