12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Planning a rebuild, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a rebuild, need advice

Hey guys, I'm beginning to plan to rebuild my Cummins next spring. The truck in question is the one in my sig, with all the mods listed. It has 242K miles on it, which seemingly isn't a whole lot for one of these things, but this thing worked hard all day everyday before I owned it. I'm getting a LOT of blowby now and it sounds like I have a weak cylinder at idle. It still runs fine under load and pulls hard, but I'd rather just go through it before I have big issues.
The truck is a daily driver, but I have no commute. I use it for moderate towing and hauling, but not everyday. The way it's set up right now works pretty well for what I do with it.
My buddy owns an engine machine shop and he's done quite of few of these engines, mostly for pulling tractors, so I have that end covered. I'll likely have him do the machine work and I'll do the assembly.
I plan to firering the head and install head studs. I also plan to upgrade the valve springs.
Would main bearing studs be overkill for my setup?
Would an aftermarket cam gain me much for what I'm doing?
How far can one of these engines be bored? I see .020 and .040 pistons for sale, but I've heard it's common to bore the engine then sleeve it back to standard.
I've heard some talk that marine pistons are an upgrade...yes, no, maybe?

I'm sure several of you have been down this road before, so please let me know if there's anything else I need to be looking for or I should fix/upgrade along the way. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:36 PM

What's your location?
I'm also looking to do a performance rebuild.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM

Not close to you lol.. I'm 45 minutes south of Buffalo, NY. Should start snowing any time now...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 PM

I've read about coated pistons to tolerate higher EGT's.

Cams seem to be for the higher HP crowd. Higher as in maybe above 500 HP.

Weak cylinder can be an injector or pump calibration. Consider having the pump bench tested as well as injectors before a full tear down.

I've heard of people building an engine because the FUEL PUMP was knocking.

Keep doing the research and you will get your questions answered and form a plan.

Good luck
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ronco95
Weak cylinder can be an injector or pump calibration. Consider having the pump bench tested as well as injectors before a full tear down.

I've heard of people building an engine because the FUEL PUMP was knocking.
Yep, I'm aware, but that won't cause a crap-ton of blowby that puffs along with the sound of the weak cylinder