General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

1982 cherokee Diesel??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1982 cherokee Diesel??? Help

I have a 1982 Cherokee Laredo and the straight 6 is ok but because of smog the cost to get it to work properly is insane. So instead I thought of swapping in a diesel. I figure before I just swap in a Chevy 350 I might look into a early dodge truck engine. Once done I was told the engine will be smog exempt.

What part of the forum or whom should I talk to about the best engine swap to look for??

Thanks for any help.
Quick
Old 02-17-2006, 04:45 PM

If you are trying to avoid the time and effort of getting it smogged you'll find swapping a diesel in to be MUCH harder than you anticipated.

If you just love diesels and gotta have one, then if I were you I would look around at lighter weight engines, something out of a nissan patrol would be perfect since you could use the entire running gear and easily maintain 4wd.

If you really loved Cummins, then a 4bt would be your best bet. But it is still really heavy.

I just got my 81 Jeep CJ with the 4.2 smogged last week. even though it stinks when it starts up and almost dies at idle it passed in CA. It was scary waiting for the results though.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:37 PM

Quick,

The 6BT is much too heavy of an engine for that chassis. Even a 4BT Cummins will weight more than the 350. Your better options would include an engine out of an Isuzu delivery truck or something more along those lines.

But...you probably should consider the vechile first. This is no "simple" swap as you're aware. Is the Cherokee in very good shape? Is it something you really enjoy? Or is it more cost-effective to move to something else instead?

I would really like someday to install a Sprinter 5-cyl diesel into a 98 or 99 Wrangler someday, but that's sort of a pipe dream, a long time off.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That '82, is that a full-size? If so, those frames were strong enough to hold the 6BT. you could swap a 12 valve and a NV4500 in very easily, due to no electronics. I'm not up on the transfer case options for those, but you would most likely need an adapter for it. If it's the full-size Cherokee/Wagoneer, go for it, if it's the little one, you might still look at a 4bt. Needs a special bellhousing at the very least for that swap though.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:18 PM

I admit to not being the greatest wrencher, but easy is not the word I'd use to describe putting a cummins in anything. I've learned through personal experience how hard it really is. Just the weight alone makes almost everything a two man task.

If you have done one and think its easy thats something to be proud of. SO many things pop up especially if you are doing it to a vehicle that has never had it done before. Where is the crossmember in relation to the oil pan, will the accessories have room between the frame rails? Will you make a custom transmission mount/crossmember, motor mounts, radiator support? that tiny stock radiator is likely too small for the cummins too, so throw a big one in there, but how?

Sorry, I'm just angry that my 6 month engine swap turned into 2 years
Old 02-17-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't imagine any normal passenger vehicle that came with a regular gasoline engine being even remotely adequate to safely handle the weight of a 5.9 without some pretty serious beefing up. Pulling that jeep straight 6 and adding the cummins will probably have the jeep sitting on the bumpstops at rest, while completely overtaxing the brakes, shocks, and the rest of the steering gear.