General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

#1 Diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1 Diesel...

Dad filled up his Dozer with #1 diesel fuel the other day and then added Power Service additive to it. We live in MO and the temperature rarely gets down below the single digits at night but he got the #1 fuel because of the cold weather.

My question is this. Is there any downside to using #1 diesel in his dozer with additive? I told him that in the future he should stick with #2. I have never used #1 and was led to believe that it didn't lubricate as well but figured that since he put in additive that would help with lubrication.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-31-2007, 03:03 PM

He should be fine with the lube side of things, especially knowing that he used PS with it. The only down side to #1 is that is has quite a bit lower energy than #2, There for you will get less fuel economy and less power using #1... And oh yeah its way to expenseve most place!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 PM

and it will not want to start as easy.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
#1 is very dry and doesn't lube the injection pump well.
I'd add at least a quart of two cycle oil to the tank.
Unless it gets below -30F there is no reason to use #1.
#2 with additive will protect just fine.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:26 PM

#1 is for pretty extreme temps. It's -5 here right now and I'm driving around with a blend and stanadyne...no problems.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:57 PM

#2 with howes all year. Gets down around -20 to -30 below around here and ive never had a problem. Ur dad should be fine sticking to #2 and just using an addative when temps drop below 20*
Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I know that #1 sucks; my pickup only makes 10-12 mpg with straight #1, it clatters a little bit more and it has noticeably less power. But, taking other things into consideration, #1 is not that bad. At least you will not be out when it is cold as hell changing the fuel filter or trying to unclog a fuel line (it sucks!). Our neighbor runs #2 with additives in his tractor year-round, and he has had the pleasure of a gelled up machine on more than one occasion. Keep in mind that the colder the weather, the more likely that gelling will occur, and if it happens, you will be out in that weather dealing with it!!!!

On the other hand, my dad uses #1 in the loader tractor ALL WINTER, and I dont think that there are any additives in his fuel. That probably isn't the best idea either.

I have heard that #1 and #2 do not mix well, but I have had good luck down to at least -10. 'Course, if it is -20 to -30 degrees, it might be a good idea to run straight #1 !!!!! An additive should help considerably with lubrication when running #1 and prevent gelling with #2. Stanadyne has been recommended to me by a few different people.

No offense, but you people who think that straight #2 will work down to -30 F must park in a heated garage! Aint no way you get away with that out here on the wind-swept plains!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 PM

No offense, but you people who think that straight #2 will work down to -30 F must park in a heated garage! Aint no way you get away with that out here on the wind-swept plains!
I've been running straight #2 with additive in all my trucks and tractors for about 15 years and haven't had one gel up. It does tend to get a bit cold at 5000 ft in Montana. In fact today felt warm with high temp of 8F.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I've been running straight #2 with additive in all my trucks and tractors for about 15 years and haven't had one gel up. It does tend to get a bit cold at 5000 ft in Montana. In fact today felt warm with high temp of 8F.
Consider yourself lucky then. My wife's brother owns a diesel injection shop and every year he deals with gelled up trucks because people try to get by with #2 and additive. Most stations around here carry a 1,2 blend...and a few have a choice between #1 and #2.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 PM

Montana does get cold but short of the Artic Circle it is extremely cold in the Dakotas. I knew people that had spent years in Alaska and wanted to go back because it was warmer than ND.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Equalizer 2
Montana does get cold but short of the Arctic Circle it is extremely cold in the Dakotas. I knew people that had spent years in Alaska and wanted to go back because it was warmer than ND.
Montana holds the low temp record in the lower 48 at -70°,
S. Dakota's record is a measy -58°.
You are right about Alaska though, most of the populated parts of the state are warmer than the northern interior US.
Low temp records by state here, some are very surprising http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0113527.html