Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

WMO question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
I added another step to the cleaning. Just received a .5 micron bag filter that I will use for the final filtration before pouring into the tank. My process is to cycle the WMO three times through a 1 micron filter and then the .5 micron.

Approaching 200 miles on my first batch of WMO and running great on a 50/50 mixture of Delo 400 and Mobil 1. 2 gallons total.

MikeyB
Mikey, is the flow rate thru the ½ micron sock comparable to the 1 micron? I was thinking of doing that as well, you beat me to it! LOL

Today I made a connection at a car and motorcycle/ATV service center for all the WMO I can use. They pour it into 55 gallon drums and then have to pay some company to come remove it. So they were thrilled that I wanted any of it at all. Now I just need to come up with some system of getting it home to run thru my filter contraption
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DD,
I haven't tried the .5 micron filter yet. Will do so this weekend and report back.

Just make sure the oil is clean from other fluids like brake and coolant. I found the 5 gallon pails from TSC works really well for handling and storage.

MikeyB
Old 08-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Testing the .5 micron filter now. Appears to flow around 1 gallon per hour. Needless to say this filter is to be only used for the final polishing stage.

MikeyB
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Testing the .5 micron filter now. Appears to flow around 1 gallon per hour. Needless to say this filter is to be only used for the final polishing stage.

MikeyB
that's some slow flow!

If you have any of the black metal 5 gallon cans that race fuel comes in, you can put the WMO in them and set them out in the sun for a few hours till they are hot to the touch, then pour them thru that ½ micron sock, the oil will flow a substantial amount faster.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't know. It's almost 100 degrees here now!

The .5 filter is really thick.

MikeyB
Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 PM

Are these socks just hanging or are they in some kind of holder? Is there any way to put pressure on a sock filtered system to speed up flow or is it all gravity? I realize they aren't actual socks before anyone says anything.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Yes, the bags are hanging and uses gravity.

MikeyB
Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM

I have some experience with WMO & will never again knowingly allow synth to get into mine as it seems to turn to a goo in the truck filter & plug it up. Though it readily passes thru a 2 micron water seperator & it will burn with an open flame with less vigor & more ash than dino.
MY filter setup is as follows A 55 gal barrel to settle then a tuthill 50 psi 18 q/p/m waste oil pump thru a baldwin 2 micron filter/water seperator & let circulate then into the tank in ratios as high as 90% if a 2 tank system such as ford uses so you can start on a lesser blend then as soon as she's running you can go to the heavier blend no need to warm further. In my experience.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM

I have a question about this stuff. I have been running wmo in my truck for a couple months now. And what I do is go get some diesel, then blend it 50/50 with the wmo and put it in a storage barrel. Will the blend need to be aggitated vigorusly before put into the tank ? Reason i am asking is now my truck is pouring out heavy white smoke while running the blend. First few hundred miles i ran it I had the blend in my portable fuel tank in the back of the truck, never a problem till it got near the bottom of the tank. Is the motor oil seperating out of the diesel and hitting the bottom of the tank? Once it gets warmed up it dont smoke as bad....
Old 08-16-2008, 04:41 AM

Can anyone give some insight on my problem... Also seems to smoke alot when i get down to 1/4 tank as well
Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 AM

What type of oil are you using? And did you filter it? Would say with a 50/50 mixture smoke will be the norm.

After sitting for a period of time the heavier particles will settle to the bottom of the tank.

MikeyB
Old 08-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Being all dino its not seperating my bet is that your tank is drawing moisture & now that you are near the bottem you're picking enough up to be a problem. Some of mine has set for upto a year without being stired though I do filter before pumping into my truck.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Its all Filtered through a 2 micron filter/water seperator 2 times. Just used motor oil for now. Seems like I get below 1/4 and the smoke doubles, no running/performace problems, just smoooooooooookey
Old 08-16-2008, 08:18 PM

when I start my truck after it has sat for 6 or 8 hours I have to hold the idle ip till the engine warms up. Is that normal? I never had any starting trouble before wmo.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 PM

yep- I have to baby mine a little at start-up too. My wife started it the other day and woke me up(work graveyard) because she had to start it THREE TIMES . This is my 12valve, so I just give it a little throttle and don't have any trouble. 80%wmo...

Quick Reply: WMO question