Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Used cooking oil vs Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what Ive read, running bio itself isnt bad, but running veggie oil can be if its not done right. It has to be run only when the motor is up to temp, so it doesnt gunk up the injectors and head (one guy likened this to throwing oil on a hotplate, or cooking it up to that temp. the hotplate makes it sizzle and burn off clean). And it has to be heated to 180F or so before the IP. Ive heard about problems with crank oil before too. Id guess those are from the stuff bypassing the rings on a cold or worn motor. Im sure it happens with diesel too, but theyre both petro products. Youve also got the soot from it in the oil. Makes me want to be cautious starting up on bio now too..
I run the usual heated tanks, heated hose-in-hose feed and return, along with heated vormax, heat exchanger up front near the motor and electrically heated injector lines. I picked up a couple temp gauges that Im going to use to monitor temps in the critical spots. I might also run 100% bio in my aux tanks unheated in the spring so I can use the main tank to get up to temp on diesel.
I guess the thing is, if youre running the stuff and youre worried.. run it on a hot motor and at the right temp pre-IP and do oil analysis to check for irregularities. changing the oil hot would be good also.
Makes me wonder if running synthetics would make this less likely to be a problem too, since theyre usually thinner and tend to be stronger detergents.
Oh yeah, the other really important thing with veggie oil, you have to be very careful with dewatering and filtration of the oil before use.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't need to be at 180 degrees before IP. That's just too hot. 140 to 150 max. Any hotter and you'll be adding unnecessary heat to your fuel system. There is plenty of heat in the engine already. the oil will be well over 200 degrees by the time it gets to the injectors.

SVO does need to be dewatered and filtered extensively though.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't let bio scare you away, cold starts on this stuff is fine, as long as it's made right. if you buy it at the station, then no worries at all. if a friend or someone else made it, be sure they are decently versed in the proses of how to make it. Bottom line-- if your not comfortable with the home brew presented to you, don't use it. i run 100% bio that i make when temps outside are high enough,[I'm not satisfied with my winter blend ratio yet]. and no problems, runs like a champ