Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

TRUCKS! - Making bio-diesel !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Doing a little reading on the link above and the links it linked to, I discovered that most agree that plastic tanks don't play well with Biodiesel manufacturing processes.
I found the following picture.

I think I'll pass on the $3000 Fuelmeister.................
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Never tried it but this system seems to be the prefered Homebrew setup for manufacturing your own Biodiesel.

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

And costs MUCH less than $3000.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best part of that show was that my wife just happened to be watching it with me. She said "That's awesome! We should do that when you buy your truck!" But I agree that a homemade kit would by much cheaper than that FuelMeister thing.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't find my notes on biodiesel but after doing a google search I found some interesting results. There is more than one form of biodiesel and some good, some not so good. One form eats fuel lines. Another reqires expensive eng. mods. Dig deep before you leap. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it is. ain't nothin free but "good advice".
Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 PM

I think I'll pass on the $3000 Fuelmeister.................
hey shovel head, ive seen one worse than that, where all that was left was the metal stand, all the plastic was just in a molten puddle on the ground!

I want to make the appleseed reactor but i am waiting to get the Large water heater, i think they are 80 gallon? then i could make one batch and last 2-3 weeks that way it wouldnt annoy me so much
Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 AM

i make biodiesel in my garage... if any of yall are in my area be more then happy to show you it... i can produce about 250 gallons a day if i really tryed to and the price is around .93 cents for me per gallon at current methanol prices just waiting to see hwo the hurricane is going to effect the price this week
Old 08-30-2005, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Boatnik
I can't find my notes on biodiesel but after doing a google search I found some interesting results. There is more than one form of biodiesel and some good, some not so good. One form eats fuel lines. Another reqires expensive eng. mods. Dig deep before you leap. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it is. ain't nothin free but "good advice".
i vote against your comment.... i running biodiesel for nearly 2 years now and it has been flawless.... my first few batchs i had slight problems with and even once i ruined a 55 gallon batch... but hey we learn from our mistakes.....all i know is my truck loves biodiesel......it drives so much better then when i put petro diesel in it on long hauls......working on building a good 50 gallon tank to put in the bed of the truck so i can make those long hauls and back and just refuel at home.....if there is anything anyone needs to know just ask ive pretty much mastered the art of biodiesel... now it takes me about 20 mins of labor to make 55gallons because i have it pretty much simplified.......
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Reactor

Originally posted by Shovelhead
Never tried it but this system seems to be the prefered Homebrew setup for manufacturing your own Biodiesel.

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

And costs MUCH less than $3000.
The story and instructions to the Appleseed processor are featured in the Home Power Magazine, it is free to download, it is the sample issue
Check this link, it starts on page #52. It seems like you should be able to make this for close to nothing.
Jim.

http://www.homepower.com/files/sampleissue/Issue107.pdf
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CUT AND PASTED FROM THE OTHER THREAD ON BIO------- after doing some more reasearch over the weekend, I found horror stories galore about the FuelMeister system. There are reports of fires caused by the methoxide fumes leaking, fluid leaks, all kinds of problems.....mostly due to the plastic tanks expanding with teh heat of the reaction.
I think I am in the market for a 80 gallon water heater and a couple 55 gall. drums......Chris

DISCLAIMER: i am merely reporting what is posted on other web-site devoted to producing bio-deisel. I have no personal experience with this system.

I have found about 15 websites that all have plans for appleseed processors, some more sophisticated than others, seems to be a constantly improving invention. some are ventless, some have complex plumbing so you never have to handle the methoxide solution, some are made out of 55 gall drums and some are out of hot water heaters.
I have been googling " appleseed processor for the last 10-15 days or so and its realy interesting whats out there......
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have accumulated a 20 gallon steel drum (with a 60° cone bottom), 3 steel 55 gallon drums, 1 HDPE 55 gallon drum, 1 30 gallon HDPE drum and 4 15 gallon HDPE carboys, barrel pump, Teal pump, 1" clear water pump, and a barrel lift. Now I just need to get off my **** and put the stupid processor together.