Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

red diesel (farm diesel) bad to use with perfomance mods or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red diesel (farm diesel) bad to use with perfomance mods or no?

hey yall i was just wondering if any of yall use farm diesel also known as (red diesel) in your trucks while running any of your boxes, or with any of your performance mods, or while towing anything. my friends friends cousin was wanting to know; hehe. he doesnt want to blow anything up. they say that it could lock up your engine and you will have to get a new one because warranty wont cover it. anyway let me know what you think......
Old 03-27-2006, 10:11 PM
chw

hmmm all i run is red diesel and i have a few mods as you can see and it hasnt hurt me yet.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:01 AM

Red #2 diesel is no different then what you buy at the pump. Sometimes its even a higher quality. They add the dye for I.D. purposes only. Differnt states have different laws regarding the use of off road, no taxed diesel but all have the same outcome for getting caught. Big Fines.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:16 AM

it aint going to hurt it. the ford dealership used to tell me that u wernt sapose to run it, so i told the your tell me that i cant run it thourgh a $40k truck but i can run it through a $300k piece of equipment.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AirGrabber
Red #2 diesel is no different then what you buy at the pump. Sometimes its even a higher quality. They add the dye for I.D. purposes only. Differnt states have different laws regarding the use of off road, no taxed diesel but all have the same outcome for getting caught. Big Fines.
Sorry, but not entirely true. While road diesel (at least until the new ULSD comes) is all LSD - or low sulfur diesel with an epa limit of 500ppm sulfur, off road comes in two varieties. By FAR the most common is simply red dyed LSD, however many companies offer high sulfur off road diesel as well, which has a limit of 5000ppm, and could definitely cause some issues. If you are going to run offroad fuel, buyer beware, be sure you know what you're buying.

With that said, I think chw and razor 6's 'friends friends cousin' or whatever fake name he said are both Edit assuming you use your trucks on paved roads. Yup I said it. Why you guys think you can run tax free fuel on our roads while the rest of us pay taxes to fix them is beyond me. Whatever lame justification you might have regarding how bad the government is, how tax money doesn't go to the roads, save it...the law says we have to pay taxes and those of us that are ethically responsible pay road tax. Arggh...red fuel is for off road use!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:55 PM

whats wrong with running off road diesel, a.k.a as farm diesel, in your truck if you use it for the right reason, i live on a ranch and my family has raised cattle all their lives......we run off road diesel in our trucks most of the time, but most of the time we are hauling animals or doing things on the ranch.....if we are tax exempt to buy things for farm use, then why cant our diesel be exempt also for farm use?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's nothing wrong with running off-road diesel off the road. The problem is that public roads are built and maintained with tax dollars that come from, among other sources, taxing on-road fuel. This on-road fuel tax is more like a user fee since the intent is that those who use the roads pay for them every time they fill up.

Running off-road diesel on the public roads just makes those of us who play by the rules pay our fair share as well as that of the (I'll be charitable here), ummmm, freeloaders.

Rusty
Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 PM

Yep, If I lived on a ranch in Texas I'd burn Red, Purple, or Green diesel. If you are caught on the road with Full Red in your tank you had better have a full price fuel receipt on you to prove it. On Road registered trucks are suppose to use on road taxes paid fuel. The safest way to do it is to have a tank for on the road and a tank for on the ranch. Flip a valve to clear for the road and red for on the spred. Common sense prevails but thorns are found on more than Cactus. ks
Old 03-28-2006, 03:07 PM

mxds - rusty and abc have nailed it. I'm not sure if you were replying to my post, however if you read it again, you'll notice I am singling out folks that use red on the road. Red is designed for off road use, and there's no question 99% of us would love to use it - however very few drive 100% off road. For those that can legitimately use offroad - it's a great thing!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM

in the sumer ill run every tank on red. hauling hay its easyer to go to the barn instead of all the way to town.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM

the higher sulfur wont hurt anything. That is lubrication. better for it if nothing else.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
DTR Advertiser

Having my hands on literally hundreds of sets of injectors yearly, you guys would freak at the number I get full of Red fuel. Some legit, most not.

Don~
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Ive heard that they even give the hiway mowers a hard time while running it in their tractors if they travel long distances (on the actual road) instead of hauling the tractors.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM

well some people can get mad about other people running red diesel but one day when they get a real job like a rancher and framer and they see how hard it is to make a living they will think differntly. the government is trying to destroy farmers and ranchers so why should they care about giving the gov. more. if you cant tell, this country is going down the drain if something doesnt change for our farmers. if it wasnt for farmers this country would be nothing so why dont people quit complaing and give them a little slack!!!! and why would someone who doesnt even know what its like to be a farmer and be broke constantly be complaining. yeah i can see someone getting mad if they fill up and drive down paved roads but wouldnt you have to be a farmer or rancher to really have a need for red diesel??? so quit crying over something you dont know anything about... support Americas farmers!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:18 PM

totally agree.

Quick Reply: red diesel (farm diesel) bad to use with perfomance mods or no?