Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Outboard Motor Oil in 24 Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outboard Motor Oil in 24 Valve

I've read a lot over the past little while about the benefits of TCW-3 outboard motor oil mixed with the diesel fuel in our trucks. Also read a lot about additives such as Stanadyne (sp ??), but there seems to be a little controversy over which additives are really beneficial, and what they really do. The comments about the 2 stroke oil have been pretty consistent, so today I added 32 oz to my 64 gal of fuel. (actually about 50 gal by now, I guess)

My cousins were with me, and within about ½ mile, the engine just.......smoothed out. No other way to describe it. The customary "Cummins Clatter" just seemed to smooth out to a smooth chuckling sound, and it feels better thru my throttle foot as well as the seat of my pants. My cousins agreed with me and thought it was amazing. I think it's very clearly telling me it likes the stuff. As I gain time, I'll see about mpg changes - if any - and it already feels a tiny bit stronger, but that's hard to tell, just banging around town in traffic. Many thanks to all those who shared their thoughts on this.

Lar.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm interested in the results.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by biglar
I've read a lot over the past little while about the benefits of TCW-3 outboard motor oil mixed with the diesel fuel in our trucks. Also read a lot about additives such as Stanadyne (sp ??), but there seems to be a little controversy over which additives are really beneficial, and what they really do. The comments about the 2 stroke oil have been pretty consistent, so today I added 32 oz to my 64 gal of fuel. (actually about 50 gal by now, I guess)

My cousins were with me, and within about ½ mile, the engine just.......smoothed out. No other way to describe it. The customary "Cummins Clatter" just seemed to smooth out to a smooth chuckling sound, and it feels better thru my throttle foot as well as the seat of my pants. My cousins agreed with me and thought it was amazing. I think it's very clearly telling me it likes the stuff. As I gain time, I'll see about mpg changes - if any - and it already feels a tiny bit stronger, but that's hard to tell, just banging around town in traffic. Many thanks to all those who shared their thoughts on this.

Lar.
i run tcw-3 from walmart and love it. makes my truck alot quieter.
the mpg is hard to say since i ve just got the smarty recently.
i have ran aleast 10 -15 tanks with it so far and no problems.
i run about 2qt per fillup.

dieselfan
Old 10-15-2006, 11:23 PM

Your running 2 qts in a standard size tank??
Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by caleb
yeah, sometimes more b/c i try to fill up at half a tank.
its a 35 gal.
no problems.

dieselfan
Old 10-16-2006, 12:38 AM

Has anyone pulled injectors to see what the deposits are like? Does it smoke noticeably more?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caleb
, so today I added 32 oz to my 64 gal of fuel. (actually about 50 gal by now, I guess)

.....he has an aftermarket tank.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Marine
Has anyone pulled injectors to see what the deposits are like? Does it smoke noticeably more?
no i havent pulled my injectors and no mine dosent any more than normal.
the oil is made to burn.

dieselfan
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 AM

I understand it is made to burn. But...why do you think 2 stroke motors go through plugs all the time, as well as spark arresters?
Even though it is made to burn, there are still deposits that are left behind. I know the mixture isn't as much as a 2 stroke engine, but it is still there.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Marine
I understand it is made to burn. But...why do you think 2 stroke motors go through plugs all the time, as well as spark arresters?
Even though it is made to burn, there are still deposits that are left behind. I know the mixture isn't as much as a 2 stroke engine, but it is still there.
2 Strokers are a funny beast, needing alot of tinkering to run right. If the egt's are at 1175 - 1250 there is very little buildup. Even barametric pressure, and temperature can change the way they burn. The oil is now meant to be smokeless and helps control carbon build up. I flew a couple planse with 2 stoke engines so you ahve to learn how to tweek them.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 AM

Yeah - then there's always the redneck PhD that thinks if 1:500 is good, 500:1 is better, or that it should be mixed 1:1 500 times, and then loses count.

You really cannot judge Diesel operation by gasoline experience - or inexperience.

Running heavy black un-burned Diesel fuel smoke continuously will carbon-up the injectors and upper cylinder areas, just as burning oil will in a gasser - 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

16oz per 35gal is not an environmental hazard, or even 32oz per - Diesel fuel is a light oil.

Protect your Inj Pump
Old 10-16-2006, 08:09 AM

I understand. I am just posing questions from the other side.
I never did think it is an environmental hazard at all.
I always use PS, but may try the tcw-3 when I get back.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 AM

I'm up to about 10K miles on 2-cycle oil... So far the truck loves it it sound more like a 3rd gen now that a 2nd gen. The reason I switched to 2 cycle oil is the fact that the oil will lube both pumps (LP and VP44) then it lubes all the injectors too. Then the oil burns completely (Leaving little to nothing for deposits). It doesn't smoke anymore that standard diesel fuel and it does change the smell for the exhaust a bit...

I've tried it also in a Chevy 6.5L diesel and does the same thing... As a matter of fact the chevy would throw CEL light once in awhile not anymore!

I've even got a web page on my use of 2 cycle...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar197..._cycle_oil.htm
Old 10-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Cool - devil's advocate, eh?

Almost fergot - try an oil analysis when tuned for smoke - soot and ash levels may shock some folks, not to mention silicates from that BHSAAF...............
Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

I've been using 2 stroke oil(and filtered engine oil) for years with PowerService, 1-2, 16 oz bottles of oil/tank will not hurt anything IMO. It will help with lubricity issues on VP-44, even more now with ultra low sulphur diesel. Very little deposits if any, will accumulate with smaller amounts of oil used.

Critical factor for reducing deposits, is to ensure engine gets up to normal operating temperature frequently, to burn most/all of the fuel, and any deposits that may have accumulated.

When I changed out my stock injectors at 160,000kms., they were exceptionally clean with no carbon buildup, considering oil useage and mileage( BTW I am at 230,000kms now with original VP-44).

There are also many lubricity additives, with injector cleaners in them already that you can buy at most stores-your call either way. I use them as an extra precaution.

Quick Reply: Outboard Motor Oil in 24 Valve