Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Katz silicone heater pad on fuel tank???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Katz silicone heater pad on fuel tank???

They make a 60w, 120w, 150w, silicone heater pad for oil pans and batteries (60w) So living in AK and having some free #2 I am going to put a 60w onto the bottom of tank to plug in while at home. What do you guys think of this?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 PM

It won't help heat what's between the tank and injectors. What will happen first thing in the morning? I know from first-hand experience that my bio gels enough at 12* that my truck won't run. I had to use a propane torch to heat the injectors, injector lines and pump enough to warm up the engine sufficiently to keep everything above the flow temp.

There's a few guys on ebay that sell injector line heaters- a set of those triggered by the grid heater relay might help.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Does bio "cloud" like #2? I had my vw TDI gel I mean "cloud" twice on me, interesting enough it started fine warmed up 10min or so take off and on both occasions within a few miles of the house died. So these occurances with diesel (whatever temp. they were treated to) clouded and gelled the intake. I learned this the other day when it happened. I pulled the quick-releasse cap off ff and filled up with 911 start and die again and repeat until i finally left return line quick-release out of ff and continually filled as engine was running on what i was adding and after a few minutes the return started to pull fuel then i knew it was pulling it's own. It these cases it was cold fuel in tank, I have never had it not start but bio would just wax I think????
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wouldn't do it. When I lived in Fairbanks I never had a problem with fuel gelled in the tank, it was always the filter, and usually right before I was going to change it. Use a good dose of Power Services and it'll be fine. I had thought of this with outside diesel-powered heaters and was advised against it by folks who know more about what hot fuel does than I.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:40 AM

Just re-read your second post...where in AK are you getting BIO?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM

my bio is gelling up since we had a cold snap here. Im trying to cook up some way of heating the fuel system on my truck. I have a heat element in my racor filter but the !@#$ thing isnt doing anything. I think the guy I got it from gave me a 24v unit =(