Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Heard something interesting today

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard something interesting today

My roommate was telling me that the government is getting ready to slam the oil companies. Said they are going to force to make the price of gas at least $1.50 for a year at least. Maybe alternate. Don't know how truth there is to it but thought it was interesting.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The local news is reporting that some Big Oil execs are to appear before Congress about the jump in prices and "windfall" profits.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9970294/
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 AM

good, I hope something gets resolved. It's one thing to pay high fuel prices because that's what it costs to make it. It's another to pay hign prices just becasue they can charge it.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My understanding is that only thing Congress is going to ask of the oil companies is that they help fund cheaper heating oil prices for people who have to make the choice between starving or freezing to death.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:37 AM

i understand thet they are going to suggest that they invest there billions that they made from the price gouging into infastructure.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
And I guess now that the price of crude is down about $10 and gasoline is down about a buck-and-a-half......all those Oil Company CEOs will have to go on welfare and food stamps......right?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

I guess all the CEO will have to sell their platnum toilets and gold Golf courses. I think if the price of gas goes down the economy will go up. Lower gas prices more people on the road to spend money.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
And I guess now that the price of crude is down about $10 and gasoline is down about a buck-and-a-half......all those Oil Company CEOs will have to go on welfare and food stamps......right?
Nah, just billions in tax incentives and subsidies for the entire indusrty.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:14 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosshawg600
I guess all the CEO will have to sell their platnum toilets and gold Golf courses. I think if the price of gas goes down the economy will go up. Lower gas prices more people on the road to spend money.
I agree 100% Boss, most people tend to think that fuel price are going to have a negative impact on holiday shopping as they did on my summer vacation.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
No, they'll just go out of business like so many did during the 80s.

Funny, I don't remember hearing people bemoan the poor oil companies in the 80s when crude was $7/bbl and one company after another was going under.

You have to take the good with the bad. Unfortunately, we mayhave already had the good.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

yes, and everyone that profited from their Halliburton stocks should have to give up their money too...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 PM

Actually the purpose of the hearing is to make it look like Congress is doing something about a problem that no one can really do anything about. So when Senator Joe Blow from Wisconsin who ran the hearing (which essentially means nothing, the last hearings were about steroid use in baseball for God's sake) is up for reelection you'll hear this in his campaign commercial: *que ominous music* "Joe Blow isn't afraid to stand up to the special interests like big oil-in 2005 when oil companies were posting billions in profits and gas prices skyrocketed, he demanded accountability *que triumphant uplifting music* So this November, vote Joe Blow.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Badfish has it exactly right.
Think it's called grandstanding.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM

There's nothing they can do - it's just plain and simple economics. If the government really wants to make a change in the price of refined fuels they need to make it easier (read: not impossible) to build new refineries. The bottle neck is not in the amount of crude available, but in our ability to process it.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:50 PM

I think that worldwide demand for crude has a little to do with it as well though. I don't have exact numbers, but in my global relations class we've been talking about how China is literally in the midst of an industrial revolution. Practically EVERYTHING over there runs on diesel and varying grades of fuel oils from cars and trucks to construction equipment to ships and heating apparatus. And of course there are absolutely 100% no environmental restrictions on anything so they burn as much as they want, whenever they want, so you can bet that if they need a refinery, it gets built.

Just a thought

Quick Reply: Heard something interesting today