Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel Check in your pickup by Cops?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Technically we could run it at work for the engines that run the pumps on our trailers I think, but we just use regular fuel.
Nontaxed offroad fuel delivered on site in 1000 gallon or larger quantities doesn't have to be dyed. There is also the option of having the road tax refunded yearly if the fuel is used offroad.
My bet is your company is using one of these options.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdennyb
So, I guess if you run Alaska tags on your rig and come down to California or the lower 48 and bust out on a test, you could fight that in court 'cause the home state allows it huh?

That's nice to know.
No way to bust positive for red dyed fuel, since they don't dye it. Av gas is blue...reason behind that is to make sure planes get the right fuel.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Chapter President

Question

Father in law picked up 30 gallons from a gen set that had to be drained at his work dumped it in his power joke, were in the desert and don't have a source locally for the red stuff, he got it out of town an hour away. I have never heard of our local PD or local CHP dipping tanks or having sniffers. I almost want to rat him out! But He's a nice guy. I know in Idaho you could run dual tanks one red and one road, had to make sure your selector was on the road one. They would go around to farm auctions and fairs and dip tanks while every body was inside.What do they do if you have a locking cap? Are you required to allow a search of your tank? How many Officers carry sniffers?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
They would go around to farm auctions and fairs and dip tanks while every body was inside.What do they do if you have a locking cap? Are you required to allow a search of your tank? How many Officers carry sniffers?
They USED to do that....Some PD's got their donkeys chewed out. You can't touch a persons truck, no matter who you are. Illegal search. The owner has to be there and consent to the test, which is usually a good/cheaper thing to do, than not consenting.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question! Do they test it for being high sulfur or do they just check the color?

Reason I ask, I tested 2-Cycle Oil in my tank about 6 months ago, just to see what everyone was talking about. It was Dyed red.
Have not used it since then but discovered red dye hangs around for a long time and suspect my fuel is still tinted.
I keep the empty container, just to prove my point, and I believe the law says illegal to run high sulfur fuel on road.
Does not say illegal to run Red Fuel??

RJ
Old 12-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
"Red" fuel is a term used to describe Off-Road non-highway taxed diesel fuel.
It has chemical markers in it not just a red dye.

The red color might raise a few concerns, but the absence of the chemical marker should show it to be an additive not the untaxed dye.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 AM

they sell the red stuff at truck stops for guys to run their reffers off of
Old 12-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by VTblacksmoke
they sell the red stuff at truck stops for guys to run their reffers off of
In the Reefer unit.....OK

In the truck's fuel tanks supplying the engine to propel him up the road.......Not so much OK.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 AM

around here there is a few select stations that are required to take the tax off of any diesel bought for home heating use
its the same pump the reg. diesel comes out of, undyed, and tax free
Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM

A few months ago at Lowes Motor Speedway, after a race, the Gestapo (Cops) took to checking motor homes. The best they could do was bust some folks for running biofuel in some cars. Seems they couldn't prove they had paid the road tax on it so that was the reason for the tickets.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
"Red" fuel is a term used to describe Off-Road non-highway taxed diesel fuel.
Not to correct you...but this reads funny to me.....you are correct if you mean dyed fuel is not taxed.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Not to correct you...but this reads funny to me.....you are correct if you mean dyed fuel is not taxed.
Phrased a little long, but he got it right...
Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 PM

The B99 biodiesel they sell in Phoenix is mixed with 1% RED diesel to obtain the $0.99 tax subsidy. It obviously has the chemical markers, but I am not sure if this small ammount will be an issue or not.

I have no idea if the fuel was taxed for road use, but the retailer--Western States Petroleum--said the city of Scottsdale uses it exclusively in their school buses and sells them a bunch of B99 each month.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Question! Do they test it for being high sulfur or do they just check the color?

Reason I ask, I tested 2-Cycle Oil in my tank about 6 months ago, just to see what everyone was talking about. It was Dyed red.
Have not used it since then but discovered red dye hangs around for a long time and suspect my fuel is still tinted.
I keep the empty container, just to prove my point, and I believe the law says illegal to run high sulfur fuel on road.
Does not say illegal to run Red Fuel??

RJ

When they take a sample it's sent off to a lab and examined for the chemical markers in it that are in the offroad fuel. Since those markers aren't in 2-stroke you will come out clean as a whistle when the lab results come in. My 18 was dipped at a roadside check in TN one time and the officers eyebrows were raised when he asked me where I got my fuel at apparently it had a red tint to it for whatever reason I don't know because I never saw the sample but they questioned me as if I had offroad fuel in my tanks. I explained to the officer I was a company driver not an owner operator, I don't pay for the fuel and don't care what it costs, and that I fueled wherever the company told me to. The fuel was perfectly legit and I knew it was. A few weeks later on the company got a letter saying that all checked out fine and thank you for your co-operation yada, yada.

You can get offroad fuel at the truck stop islands for big trucks if you swipe your card and when it asks "truck fuel" or "reefer fuel" punch "reefer" but I wouldn't you just never know. Also with regards to officers dipping tanks while people are away inside a restuaraunt eating or whatever around here if your doors are unlocked and they happened to peak through the window and see something they deem suspicious your unlocked doors are an open invitation for them to investigate they do that crap all the time. So lock the doors and invest in a locking fuel cap too.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They check here in New Mexico. I had a friend busted. Most Truck Stops no longer carry off road diesel.

Quick Reply: Fuel Check in your pickup by Cops?