Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel Check in your pickup by Cops?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Check in your pickup by Cops?

I'm curious if anyone out there on the east coast or midwest has had their fuel dipped by the cops.
Up here in Northern California, the CHP made a surprise roadside fuel check 'camp' and was dipping tanks for "red fuel". 18 wheelers and pickups all were fair game.

QUESTION EDITED BY ADMIN
Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 PM

Why don't you just take the whole question off the board?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM

well i have had them check my fuel while i was in minnesota (twice in the same week. don't know if you ever run red fuel but i would suggest not as they can test your tank any time they please for any reason. i know in minnesota they charge you $1000 for every container you don't let them check which will also put you in court.... and a $2000 fine for every container they test that comes up positive for red fuel. and by container i mean any fuel tank that is hook ed up to your truck. so they aren't gonna test fuel cans sitting in the back that someone may use for a tractor or whatnot.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
They can check mine anytime. As long as the Kroger keep up the discount card and keeps the right color in the tank, I'm ok. I occasionally throw a receipt into the door pocket to show where I shop.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
It just does not pay to run dyed fuel. They are allowed to check it when ever they want, it is a federal thing, if they really pushed it like that. Some states/areas have equipment that will tell if you ran it 2 tanks ago, or will pull your filter and see if it's red. There is a tailpipe sniffer that looks for the burnt dye.

I have never been dipped. Fl, Ga, and Sc. I bet the time I do run it, I will...
Old 12-20-2007, 05:06 PM

In CA, the CHP does set-up checkpoints for all diesel vehicles to check for off-road fuel. I personally think it's communist. One of the many reasons I left CA.

Nick
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 PM

it does if u ran a whole year with it lol
Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Montana Supreme Court ruled that the police must have probable cause to dip your tank unless the vehicle is commercial. To get around it the state DOT had agent's hide out near the stations trying to catch people filling up with red. Ended up costing more than it brought in, the whole plan was abandoned. Last I heard there were two agents to cover the entire state who spend most of their time at the interstate scales checking big rigs.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM

Never heard of anyone EVER being up checked up in the N.E. Definitely possible in other states, but I really don't think it happens in NY.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Happens in Illinois............. I haven't been checked yet, but my brother in law has been checked twice.

He has a 5000 gallon tank of it and wouldn't put it in specifically for that reason.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdennyb
Well, hell. Why don't you just take the whole question off the board?

I didn't edit the main question, I only edited your last question and you know which one I am talking about. The main question is fine.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 PM

I've been checked in a semi in line at the elevators while I was on a custom harvest crew this summer in oklahoma, kansas, and south dakota. I have also had my tank probed here in indiana at a local tractor pull, a state trooper pulled up and just started checking tanks randomly of trucks that were sitting in the parking lot. talk about a surprise, luckily I passed but I had run a few gallons of it once or twice in emergencies a few months earlier when I was running low on road fuel.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 AM

No checks here....course only fuel they dye here is Av gas. Around 95% of all fuel oil in this state is used off road. To cost prohibitive to separate the two in the remote areas, so they abandoned the idea. You can pull up to the station a fuel up with either one. Have 300 gls in a tank here at the house with two way valve, one line goes to house and other to a spigot, in case I run low.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 AM

So, I guess if you run Alaska tags on your rig and come down to California or the lower 48 and bust out on a test, you could fight that in court 'cause the home state allows it huh?

That's nice to know.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 PM

They must sell the dyed fuel mostly in farming areas huh? I dont know anywhere around here that has the dyed fuel...of course Ive never really looked either. Technically we could run it at work for the engines that run the pumps on our trailers I think, but we just use regular fuel.

Quick Reply: Fuel Check in your pickup by Cops?