Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fred Meyer Gas VS Chevron and Shell

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fred Meyer Gas VS Chevron and Shell

I noticed the diesel prices at Fred Meyer are 20cents cheaper than Chevron and Shell. Is there any difference in the quality of gas?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM

Do you want to know about gas or the diesel? Fred Meyer uses unbranded gas usually Tesoro. The difference in any of the gas is the additive. Each major has their own additive. As far as the diesel is concerened there is no difference. All the diesel at the termanal I load at goes into comunity tanks that feed certain loading racks. Where the difference in price sometimes come from is from which shipper the diesel is pulled from even though it's comming from the same tank. Hope that clears things up for you.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Additives that are used or the lack of additives being used is what makes the difference be it gas or diesel.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually run Fred Myers fuel in my truck. Everytime I have seen them filling the diesel tanks its coming from a Flying J truck.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for answers!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I usually run Fred Myers fuel in my truck. Everytime I have seen them filling the diesel tanks its coming from a Flying J truck.
Yea & flying J got bought out by Pilot truck stops. I deliver to Chevron & unbranded stations which are independantly owned. I haul diesel that has the best price at the time I load it to any station. The gas I have to haul Chevron brand to Chevron stations & who ever has the best price to the unbranded stations. So as far as which brand of diesel you are getting you wouldnt know unless you could see the HTR from the delivery which would show which supplier it came from.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM

The Chevron Diesel we load at the
fresno terminal is ran thru another set of filters per
chevron. I dont know if makes the price different but your right it comes out of the same storage tank as the rest.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Base gas and base diesel are all the same its the additives package that make them different from what other stations sell. Where I live Murphy USA and Mills Fleet Farm sell diesel from the same tank farm yet my self and others I know get better mpg from the diesel at the farm store. According to the drives who deliver the fuel its the additive that set the 2 diesel fuels apart.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 PM

I have been buying diesel at fred meyers for a while now. They are a little cheaper, and I save an extra 3-10 cents a gallon using my rewards card. I have seen flying j trucks there three times filling up the bulk tanks. Looks like good fuel at a good price.

FWIW, I have a 2mic fuel filter and run stanadyne or power service additive.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM

I was just out in Portland Oregon and the people and family I talked have told me that Fred Meyers gives them poor mpg numbers so I'm surprised to hear that they sell good quality diesel or is it the Bio mandate in Portland that helps?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 PM

FWIW - the last two times that I have filled up at fred meyers I have gotten 19.2 and 19.6mpg hand calculated. No problems with the fuel in boise....
Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 PM

I see I forgot to mention that it was the gas engine owners that complained about poor mpg numbers from Fred Meyers fuel.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 PM

i just move to boise and have been filling up at Fred Meyer off Chinden and Glenwood. ve been going through a fuel filter a month, since i moved down here. i just realized this and i plan on switching places i fill up. fuel mileage is down and so is my fuel pressure!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboykilla235
i just move to boise and have been filling up at Fred Meyer off Chinden and Glenwood. ve been going through a fuel filter a month, since i moved down here. i just realized this and i plan on switching places i fill up. fuel mileage is down and so is my fuel pressure!
I see lots of mods listed in your signature but nothing about a fuel pump upgrade...are you sure it is the filter plugging up or the lift pump getting weaker?

I would volume test the lift pump to see what you are really dealing with
Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboykilla235
Up until very recently, due to price, I have almost exclusively filled up at Fred Meyers at 5 mile and Overland, when in town. My last 3 filter changes have been 30k miles (no psi drop), 20k miles (slight pressure drop), and currently at 19,700 on the filters with no pressure drop.

I am not saying it isn't fuel related, but I haven't experienced it or heard of others with the same issue.

Quick Reply: Fred Meyer Gas VS Chevron and Shell