Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/)
-   -   Fred Meyer Gas VS Chevron and Shell (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/fred-meyer-gas-vs-chevron-shell-282935/)

bonfire 12-31-2010 10:59 AM

Fred Meyer Gas VS Chevron and Shell

I noticed the diesel prices at Fred Meyer are 20cents cheaper than Chevron and Shell. Is there any difference in the quality of gas?

tankeryanker 12-31-2010 12:02 PM

Do you want to know about gas or the diesel? Fred Meyer uses unbranded gas usually Tesoro. The difference in any of the gas is the additive. Each major has their own additive. As far as the diesel is concerened there is no difference. All the diesel at the termanal I load at goes into comunity tanks that feed certain loading racks. Where the difference in price sometimes come from is from which shipper the diesel is pulled from even though it's comming from the same tank. Hope that clears things up for you.

DBLR 12-31-2010 01:08 PM

Additives that are used or the lack of additives being used is what makes the difference be it gas or diesel.

AH64ID 12-31-2010 01:25 PM

I usually run Fred Myers fuel in my truck. Everytime I have seen them filling the diesel tanks its coming from a Flying J truck.

bonfire 12-31-2010 04:52 PM

Thanks for answers!!!!

tankeryanker 01-01-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID (Post 2898679)
I usually run Fred Myers fuel in my truck. Everytime I have seen them filling the diesel tanks its coming from a Flying J truck.

Yea & flying J got bought out by Pilot truck stops. I deliver to Chevron & unbranded stations which are independantly owned. I haul diesel that has the best price at the time I load it to any station. The gas I have to haul Chevron brand to Chevron stations & who ever has the best price to the unbranded stations. So as far as which brand of diesel you are getting you wouldnt know unless you could see the HTR from the delivery which would show which supplier it came from.

crodon963 01-23-2011 11:21 PM

The Chevron Diesel we load at the
fresno terminal is ran thru another set of filters per
chevron. I dont know if makes the price different but your right it comes out of the same storage tank as the rest.

DBLR 01-25-2011 01:05 PM

Base gas and base diesel are all the same its the additives package that make them different from what other stations sell. Where I live Murphy USA and Mills Fleet Farm sell diesel from the same tank farm yet my self and others I know get better mpg from the diesel at the farm store. According to the drives who deliver the fuel its the additive that set the 2 diesel fuels apart.

Old Smoky 04-02-2011 07:39 PM

I have been buying diesel at fred meyers for a while now. They are a little cheaper, and I save an extra 3-10 cents a gallon using my rewards card. I have seen flying j trucks there three times filling up the bulk tanks. Looks like good fuel at a good price. :cool:

FWIW, I have a 2mic fuel filter and run stanadyne or power service additive.

DBLR 04-13-2011 03:49 PM

I was just out in Portland Oregon and the people and family I talked have told me that Fred Meyers gives them poor mpg numbers so I'm surprised to hear that they sell good quality diesel or is it the Bio mandate in Portland that helps?

Old Smoky 04-16-2011 10:11 PM

FWIW - the last two times that I have filled up at fred meyers I have gotten 19.2 and 19.6mpg hand calculated. No problems with the fuel in boise....

DBLR 04-21-2011 01:21 PM

I see I forgot to mention that it was the gas engine owners that complained about poor mpg numbers from Fred Meyers fuel.

cowboykilla235 08-21-2013 09:31 PM

i just move to boise and have been filling up at Fred Meyer off Chinden and Glenwood. ve been going through a fuel filter a month, since i moved down here. i just realized this and i plan on switching places i fill up. fuel mileage is down and so is my fuel pressure!

Lary Ellis (Top) 08-21-2013 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by cowboykilla235 (Post 3199331)
i just move to boise and have been filling up at Fred Meyer off Chinden and Glenwood. ve been going through a fuel filter a month, since i moved down here. i just realized this and i plan on switching places i fill up. fuel mileage is down and so is my fuel pressure!

I see lots of mods listed in your signature but nothing about a fuel pump upgrade...are you sure it is the filter plugging up or the lift pump getting weaker?

I would volume test the lift pump to see what you are really dealing with ;)

AH64ID 08-21-2013 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by cowboykilla235 (Post 3199331)

Up until very recently, due to price, I have almost exclusively filled up at Fred Meyers at 5 mile and Overland, when in town. My last 3 filter changes have been 30k miles (no psi drop), 20k miles (slight pressure drop), and currently at 19,700 on the filters with no pressure drop.

I am not saying it isn't fuel related, but I haven't experienced it or heard of others with the same issue.