Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Diesel Prices High - Gas Falling... ***

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This morning on the NyMex heating oil is $1.96 per gallon. So the $1+ profit is going somewhere.......

MikeyB
Old 09-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as people being afraid of traveling all JetA is in a nutshell is diesel and kerosene, so it would make sense to me for JetA to go down for the airlines diesel would go down too
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by v8440
Ok, but nobody has yet explained why diesel, which reportedly takes less work to refine crude into, now fairly suddenly costs more than gasoline.
It is called a 3-2-1 crackspread...meaning for every 3 barrels of crude the yield is 2 barrels of gasoline and 1 barrel of diesel. (Or 1 barrel=66%gasoline+33%diesel) Therefore....It takes more crude oil to make diesel because there is less available in a barrel of crude.

On top of all that...the ultra low sulfur regs are hitting now also and the refineries are not fully ready for it...not all of them anyway. And i'm sure they will let US pay for any modifications or new catalysts they need.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM

Let's not forget that this is an election year, and if the oil companies can keep their "pals" in office, they've got another six years to make up the difference.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Let's not forget that even though the summer "drive" season has just ended for gassers, all products STILL have to travel by diesel powered trucks & trains to get to the corner market, and Home Heating season is quickly approaching.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM

Angry

2.42 for gas,3.19 for diesel,and diesel has been at that price for going on two months. We don't even have the ulsd around here. Something smells,and I don't mean the diesel fuel.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Talking diesel

i personally think we are being <edit> raped by the big oil companies.its a big <edit> sandwich gentleman and we all must take a bite.the worst part is that i dont like bread.

profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Last edited by Shovelhead; 09-06-2006 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Language
Old 09-06-2006, 08:43 AM

my 2.5 cents

I googled news articles about a week ago fro diesel prices. Not too much out there. Found one story about the ULSD switch. stations and distributors need the ulsd but it hasn't been refined in high enough quantities yet. The supply hasn't caught up to the demand.

The ag. use for harvesting would certainly put an increase on the demand side as would people filling the heating oil tanks in prep. for winter. While those two wouldn't directly impact the ULSD supply, it would certainly impact the base crude and LSD supplies.

I don't like paying the high price any more than anyone else, and I've had this discussion with other family members as well. How does a politcal party or leader control the price of a commodity traded on the open market ? With all of the people that look to blame the current administration for EVERYTHING, seems kind of strange that NOBODY has been able to prove any wrongdoing.

As for the oil companies record profits. If people will buy a $1.50/gal fuel for $3 then why not sell it for that? The US is still INCREASING fuel consumption every month. Every day driving to/from work people fly by me like I'm sitting still. I'm doing 65-70. Cars, bikes, big trucks doesn't matter most are running 75+. Most are probably complaining about how much fuel costs. Until WE stop buying record amounts of high priced fuel, the oil companies won't change a thing. I'm just about as guilty as anyone else. I don't drive fast but, I have a little 4cyl that gets about double the mpg as the truck but, I choose to drive the CTD most of the time. I LOVE this truck. That's my choice.

I'm not saying we should all just park the truck and buy ricers or something with pedals. Maybe we could take a little responsibilty instead of blaming everyone else. Perhaps you won't "get ran over" (who really believes that anyway?)if you slow down from 85.

ok, I'm done ranting.
catch ya later
jeff
Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

ok i am not liking the prices for diesel anymore than anyone else but when i considered 3.07 a deal today that is just a joke.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, we are dropping pretty quick here now.........
This morning at 7:00 it was $2.94, by 2:00 it was $2.83

Gas is down to $2.59 at the cheap spots.

I remember being all ticked off last winter when it was a whopping $2.50 a gallon. I would get all mad pulling up to the pumps, thinking "this is just ridiculous".
Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Chapter President

Dropped $.05 here in Memphis overnight!!!

Reg.-$2.39/gal
#2-$2.69
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by goose2
I understand your frustration along with everyone elses. I can't say that I feel to bad for you people in Houston. You mite wan't to take a drive to Idaho. The gas price is $2.87 and the diesel is $3.45. I wouldn't complain about your price for diesel. If I could get diesel for the price you are paying. I would fill the truck up and then poor some out on the ground. (just because I would feel gilty having to pay so less)
I know how you feel, i'm from Boise and its sad to say I see it as being a "deal" when i see it below $3.50 a gallon. I never thought I would say this but i think it would probrably be cheaper to drive my RX-7 that gets 13MPG on premium than my truck.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
This morning on the NyMex heating oil is $1.96 per gallon. So the $1+ profit is going somewhere.......

MikeyB
Dont forget that along with paying for the actual gallon of gas you're also paying quite a large chunk of tax to go with it.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Supply and demand is the bottom line....demand is pretty steady, but what changes is supply, in other words, inventory. When demand goes down or refining capacity goes up, the price goes down. There's more diesel on hand. When demand is up (summer driving season, more goods are moved during the spring/summer months because the roads are open and moving, no weather related delays, and folks spend more money on "stuff") inventories drop. When inventories drop, the price goes up. When the refiners catch up with deamnd, inventories go up and prices drop. It's pretty cyclical. That's why the price goes up when a refinery goes down, we're on a fairly short margin as far as excess refining capacity goes.

Wait until X-mas time.....you'll see prices drop in November-December as the refiners start socking away inventory. In the first quarter of the next year the price will creep up again when the major refineries go down for periodic maintenance (inventories will drop while the plants are down).

On the bright side, I saw #2 at $2.99 here in town this morning
I have to disagree here.. Thats the way it's SUPPOSED to work.. but here's reality...

A quote from Bloomsberg today....

"Supplies of distillate fuel, a category that includes heating oil and diesel, probably rose 1.25 million barrels from 136.8 million the prior week. All of the analysts expected an increase."

Simple math. If DEMAND was outstripping SUPPLY we wouldn't be seeing these stockpiles INCREASING week after week! And they hang on tight to the price?

Also strange.. gas stockpiles dropping along with the price?

Quote from the SAME report:
"Gasoline supplies probably declined 900,000 barrels from 206.2 million the week before. Twelve of the analysts said inventories fell last week, one forecast a gain and two said that inventories were unchanged."

So.. demand INCREASES & the price drops??? It certainly wasn't that way over the summer!

I know these are just "****"ysts reports but.. well.. I just don't get it. Go to EIA website and you'll see the stockpiles have been increasing over the last 5 WEEKS! AND.... we're well above the 5 year averages!!! I guess I just need another one of those little yellow pills.....

Define GOUGING..... When supplies outstrips demand and you refuse to drop prices! Then U blame to political retoric like ULSD! GIMME A BREAK!

We need a truckers strike plain & simple!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Chapter President

Price here dropped once again!!!

IN Memphis:

Gas- $2.39/reg
#2- $2.61

Quick Reply: Diesel Prices High - Gas Falling... ***