Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

diesel ever going to go back down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to be a rebel rouser, but I was watching the news 2 nights ago and one of the truckers was saying that there is talk of a possible fuel strike going around the CB's. The public needs to be heard and not herded.

Wood
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM

I was told by a reputable source that a lot of independant drivers (OTR) are droppin trailers and goin home. No money in the business...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM

There was a guy on Neil Cavuto the other day and he said oil should be back to $50 - $60 a barrel by 2016. I had to laugh when I heard that.....

Sid
Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine that drives his own log truck spends $600 a day to fill up his truck. That $3K a week for diesel!!!! It is getting to where he almost has to pay to go to work!!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by matego
The boycott would not work. The only way it would work is if the big trucking names... Roadway, Schneider, Yellow, UPS Freight etc. would do it. There has been a big shift from owner operators to fleet drivers in the last few years. If these guys would go together and shut the country down for a day or two, it would catch someones attention.
the large trucking companies tack on a fuel surcharge, so they're not complaining, much less boycotting. it's only the owner/operators who are getting hurt, and in this day and age, they're the minority. we are more than likely seeing the end of the owner/operator, as they just can't make enough money to offset the incresed price of fuel.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by chipmonk
the large trucking companies tack on a fuel surcharge, so they're not complaining, much less boycotting. it's only the owner/operators who are getting hurt, and in this day and age, they're the minority. we are more than likely seeing the end of the owner/operator, as they just can't make enough money to offset the incresed price of fuel.
It is a shame. I deal a lot with owner/operators at the shop and I try to cut them a break on labor costs. Fuel is high enough and labor is a hair over 100$ a hour. A lot of them admit to me that they have to run way over on their hours to break even. I really dont know how the guys that are paying for their trucks are staying ahead. Like was said before... 2500-3000 week fuel, 2k+ month truck payment, 500 month insurance, IFTA, annual registration, etc.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by robert97dodge
A friend of mine that drives his own log truck spends $600 a day to fill up his truck. That $3K a week for diesel!!!! It is getting to where he almost has to pay to go to work!!
yea when you got to work and they send you a bill at the end of the week instead of a paycheck........SOMETHING IS WRONG!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
HOV

Dudes, boycotts have been the subject of forward emails for many years now.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Here is my opinion as to why an overall boycott of diesel/gasoline will not work. At some point you will need to buy it and the oil companies know this. I am pretty sure that they can hold out not selling me fuel longer than I can hold out driving to work.

A solution would be to ban together and boycott one major player in the game. If we all stopped buying from Chevron for example, Chevron stations would soon drop their price and when that happened switch to only buying from Chevron until the other companies dropped theirs lower. And then the game continues.

They are playing the game and winning. It is time to change the rules!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by JT's 6.7
Here is my opinion as to why an overall boycott of diesel/gasoline will not work. At some point you will need to buy it and the oil companies know this. I am pretty sure that they can hold out not selling me fuel longer than I can hold out driving to work.
The idea of the boycott isnt to stop buying fuel, but to shut down the country. EVERYTHING is transported by truck. A true 1-2 day shut-down would take a month to straiten out. The oil tycoons have enough money now that they could stop selling oil for 100 years and still have money. You will never hurt them. The idea is to finally get the gov't off their tails and either put this "economic stimulus" program into alternative fuels programs or try and force their hands on OPEC.

The problem with option #2 is OPEC has tons of money... you cant threaten them. I would have no problem at all if I received a letter in the mail from the gov't stating they were going to put my $600 into a fuels program. Gov't funding for research and $500 mil. to the first one to come up with a safe, reliable, economical fuel cell. The only way to get out from under OPEC's thumb is to be self-reliant. We are making these tycoons infinitely wealthy with our ignorance. There are ways to make bio-fuels and alternative fuels but we dont want to spend the money to develop them. Now that fuel is 4$+ people are starting to see the light.

It will be a great day when we become independent. We are the greatest country in the world and we allow small, foreign countries to cripple us economically. Between OPEC and the falsely inflated housing boom I fear we are in for some hard times. I just hope for our children's sake that we do the right thing now before its too late.

Sorry for the long read, this is something I am passionate about.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

It's funny...I'm in the military and will not bash it because the fuel that we use has a HUGE purpose, getting troops to the fight, getting equipment to foreign countries, showing "presense" world wide, training foreign countries how to do what we do for themselves for a change so that we don't have to as often, etc...but the fact of the matter is that we burn a CRAP ton of fuel. My ship in one YEAR burned a total of 5,242,150 GALLONS of DFM-76 and JP-5 combined...this is just ONE ship out of HUNDREDS...then you have trucks and aircraft, small boats, etc, etc etc...If you do the math, the fuel that this one ship burned in one year would equal out to THIS to me as a personal consumer: 5,242,150 gallons of fuel divided by 3650 (number of days in 10 years which is longer than most people keep a vehicle around anyway) equals 1436 gallons per DAY which means that I could fill my truck 42.25 times a DAY for TEN YEARS with just the fuel that this one ship burned in a year's time (1436 gallons divided by 34 gallons in the tank). This ONE ship's fuel usage would supply 42.25 people in the country one fill up PER DAY for TEN YEARS...most people fill up once a week or TWO depending on how much they drive their trucks...think about that a while...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Supply and Demand my friends.........oil companies have to make money and they don't care how they do it.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Fuel and everything else is just going to keep going up. This is just the tip of the iceberg I think.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ramtuff06
Supply and Demand my friends.........
Exactly.....diesel is high because inventories are low. Gasoline outsells diesel about 30:1, so the feedstock used to make diesel (gas oil) is being used to make gasoline instead.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:43 PM

I parked my truck because I knew it was coming. the fact is they dont care because we will keep paying it. im sure in the future the whole diesel thing will be ruined by emissions and E-checks. to me then it wont be worth even trying to own any type of diesel at that point

Quick Reply: diesel ever going to go back down?