Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

diesel ever going to go back down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel ever going to go back down?

Hey guys I really have not read much as to why these diesel prices are just going crazy but i am just curious if anyone knows if this will ever go down? Prices just seem to keep going up because the other day i saw diesel for 4.09 here in houston. This is ridiculous and i know this is a big topic right now but i didnt know if anyone knew something me and others dont know. Main reason for question is because i dont know if i am going to sell the truck or what to do.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 PM

in the same boat.... do i sell or keep it. it sucks cause im throwing my new trann in this weekend... so ill be out over $5k...
Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 PM

sorry the thread title was supposed to read is the price ever going to go down not up
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 PM
J.T

Originally Posted by 07MCummer
sorry the thread title was supposed to read is the price ever going to go down not up
Lol! I kept thinking It's high enough already man! I have a 1/2 tank right now but I'm afraid to fill up.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 07MCummer
Hey guys I really have not read much as to why these diesel prices are just going crazy but i am just curious if anyone knows if this will ever go down? Prices just seem to keep going up because the other day i saw diesel for 4.09 here in houston. This is ridiculous and i know this is a big topic right now but i didnt know if anyone knew something me and others dont know. Main reason for question is because i dont know if i am going to sell the truck or what to do.

Thanks
Yer truck's an 07? was diesel fuel cheap when you bought it?

Last edited by madhat; 03-13-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: BB code
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM

its terrible just got rid of my big block truck for my 2003 diesel sometimes i wish i didnt but....why is diesel sooo much when it takes less to make. in europe its half the price of gas.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Seems like someone ain't keeping control of the bums who price this stuff. It is currently 33% more expensive for the material that takes less energy to refine. I personally think it is just opportunity - they can charge more, so they just do it. No regulations, no control...

I am at 1/2 tank as well, but I am riding my motorcycles instead of using the truck so maybe I will last another month or so before having to give a kidney to fill my tank.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Boycott the whole first week of April! Thats what the truckers are talking about. Doubt if it will happen though, but it would sure bring the prices down if it actually did and everybody driving diesel participated. It's stupid that the cost of diesel is higher than crappy unleaded and it's a legal monopoly.

Wood
Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Ya know, I don't even look. I just plug the pump in and pull the trigger. What are you going to do?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM

In the colder months most all of the refineries that make diesel produce mostly heating fuel since the process and final product are almost identical. Winter time is always an expensive time for diesel compared to the rest of the year. Also the usage of diesel in the USA has gone up exponentially in the last decade. Very few people had diesel cars or trucks 10-15 years ago and it wasn't until gas prices went up first and diesel engines got quieter and better fuel economy that everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Right now gas and diesel are being imported into the USA because no new refineries have been built in decades because of evironmental concerns. So we are not just buying foriegn oil but paying other countries to refine it for us also. Summertime should bring some relief to diesel prices and they should drop to below premium gas prices, but who knows what those prices will be the way fuel prices are going up across the board.

Also the process to convert oil to fuel is called cracking and it takes like 3 stages or less to get to diesel #2. Gas takes like 20 stages to refine to desired octane level. So it takes 10 times longer and a lot larger refining system to make gas and it is considerably cheaper.

BUILD REFINERIES!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by woodrep
Boycott the whole first week of April! Thats what the truckers are talking about. Doubt if it will happen though, but it would sure bring the prices down if it actually did and everybody driving diesel participated. It's stupid that the cost of diesel is higher than crappy unleaded and it's a legal monopoly.

Wood

Would forum rules allow us to post a thread for Boycotting? We could put it on all the different sites to get the word out. Man it would be great if we could and it worked.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
KKB

Totally agree Oldsmokey, I am with ya.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM

The truth is, diesel consists of about 60% oil. With the price of oil consistently going through the roof, I don't see any relief in the near future.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM

How much is a barrel of oil these days? North of $110!!, I don’t see gas or diesel going down anytime soon.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by woodrep

Wood
The boycott would not work. The only way it would work is if the big trucking names... Roadway, Schneider, Yellow, UPS Freight etc. would do it. There has been a big shift from owner operators to fleet drivers in the last few years. If these guys would go together and shut the country down for a day or two, it would catch someones attention.

Quick Reply: diesel ever going to go back down?