Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i run my wmo thru a 5 micron filter then a 1 micron filter. if any thing gets past that it will go thru my fuel system anyway fuel filters are usally 10 micron so it would pass the filter. the refinaries probably dont filter down to 1 micron so i would bet there is still junk in #2.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 PM

Im digging up a thread because, being a diesel newbie, i KNEW about Bio-Diesel... But didnt know ANYthing about WMO! I knew you could burn it in heaters but in a diesel engine!?
So here come the newbie questions. Feel free to smack me!

*I see allot of 12v talk... Can i run it in a 99 24V 5.9 CTD?

*Do you need ANY mods to run it or can you just dump it in the tank?

*Is it better to pre mix it with diesel fuel even if its a low ratio diesel to WMO?

*I do plan on filetering the CRAP out of it! Any suggestion on pump type? I was thinking of filtering with those Pure Power reusable stainless filters. Or is there a specific brand/type suggested?

*As far as mixing GAS with the oil to thin it out... This is Gas as in Gasoline? What octane rating or does it matter?

*Is there any performance loss by running WMO? Does MPG suffer compaired to 100% diesel?

*I assume that in some part WMO helps lengthen engine life by lubricating the engine more.. is this true?

*What kind of issues can WMO cause through exhaust? Nasty sludge on turbine? Oil drippies from exhaust?

Thanks ahead for all the info... Even though the price of diesel is down it still would be nice to save money!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

I filter mine through a polyester bag (sock type filter hung over a bucket, its a 5 to 1 micron, (meaning a 5 micron inner bag and a 1 micron finnish bag all in one)

:LINK:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5726k11/=rg9wx

JohnX uses the same filter and he turned me onto it, concensus is 1 micron is the target.

It smells like burnt tar paper on mine but who cares, I run mine 50/50 but I know it can go higher.

Never heard of any problem on 24v. But then again I havent asked either.

On my first batch and no problems, more power and quieter running, little rough idle in the cold morning, but my heaters arent working so go figure. I added a double dose of powerservice to it as well just for good measure.

Some argue about synthetic, but ive only heard it will smoke more.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 PM

What is powerservice? Have you considered mixing with gas to help with winter running?

I was hoping for a power filter setup... How long does it take to strain through the bag?

I looked at McMaster i am surprised the need to go down to 1 micron! It says, relatively, that 1 micron is the size of bacteria! Thats pretty freakin small.. LOL If 10 is the size of talcum powder what is wrong with getting a 5 micron filter like this (99%) efficient...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4358k41/=rgxmh

Or the 3 micron ones listed above...?

Here is the reference from mcmaster on micron ratings (see attach)...
Attached Thumbnails Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?-micronrating.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by GotStacks
Im digging up a thread because, being a diesel newbie, i KNEW about Bio-Diesel... But didnt know ANYthing about WMO! I knew you could burn it in heaters but in a diesel engine!?
So here come the newbie questions. Feel free to smack me!

*I see allot of 12v talk... Can i run it in a 99 24V 5.9 CTD?

*Do you need ANY mods to run it or can you just dump it in the tank?

*Is it better to pre mix it with diesel fuel even if its a low ratio diesel to WMO?

*I do plan on filetering the CRAP out of it! Any suggestion on pump type? I was thinking of filtering with those Pure Power reusable stainless filters. Or is there a specific brand/type suggested?

*As far as mixing GAS with the oil to thin it out... This is Gas as in Gasoline? What octane rating or does it matter?

*Is there any performance loss by running WMO? Does MPG suffer compaired to 100% diesel?

*I assume that in some part WMO helps lengthen engine life by lubricating the engine more.. is this true?

*What kind of issues can WMO cause through exhaust? Nasty sludge on turbine? Oil drippies from exhaust?

Thanks ahead for all the info... Even though the price of diesel is down it still would be nice to save money!
I'll try to answer your q's.
1st I bought a 12v because I wanted to continue useing WMO as I had in my old IDI.
2nd you could dump & go but its much better to filter the WMO first. I use a baldwin bf1212 water seperator & a tuthill WMO pump.
3rd I don't premix as it just adds an extra step & I'm lazy & it hasn't proven necessary in over 4 years.
4th RUG is reg unleaded gas. I only add RUG if the temps are going to be under 20* to prevent gelling & then no more than 10% MAX!!!!!!!
5th WMO has about 10% more btu's than #2 dino. as to mpg the way I look at it is if 1/2 or more of my fuel is bacisly FREE who cares what the mpg is ?
6th false since you can not easily filter out all contaminants there will be higher rates of wear. Plus you can't filter out acid while you could boil it out I don't bother or worry about it as I'm saving far more than it will cost to rebuild.
7th a little extra smoke under lite loads which clears up under heavy load conditions. Also mine at 70% WMO passed DEQ in washington with flying colors.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Well, I've read the thread and here it is: I'm on my first tank for WMO/D2 mix, about 5-10%. The WMO was from my own oil changes (most from the truck itself but some from the Jeep, lawnmower, etc.) I ran the WMO through one of my discarded house water (sock-style) filters that's rated at 5 microns. So far I don't notice anything. Doesn't smoke more, doesn't sound different, it just has black fuel!

So I'll be keeping this up for awhile (until I run out of WMO) and keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Totally let me know what happens! I never got a straight answer to whether it was ok to run on the 2nd gens. I have read allot that states you should be filtering it as LOW as possible. I am thinking 3 micron because i found some filers that are screw on, affordable, and can be pumped through... I would probably go 10 - 3 to allow for the most efficient filtering.
Also i would be careful to make sure what efficiency the filter is rated at... Your 5 micron filter may be only 70%. The 3 microns i found are 99% efficient.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM

GotStacks, can you provide a link to the 3 micron filters you found.

Thanks, RJ
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Here you go...

In spin on they have down to 3 micron "standard efficiency" and down to 5 micron 99% efficient. If you drop down farther they have "Extreme-Pressure Hydraulic Oil Filters" they go down to 3 micron for 99% efficient (High Efficiency). Although the housing is a bit expensive.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-filters/=vi3p6

I also have a call into a company that offers a filter vessel that can filter the acids, dirt and water out of oil!! That would be preferred I'm sure!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks mon.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Chapter President

It takes about 30 min or so maybe less to filter 5 gallons through my bag I have a shorter bag (13") they come in up to 37 inches, I will need to get a water seperator later for some more questionable oil I have around, but so far my stuff is straight out of vehicle changes and clean of water.

a 2nd gen 12v should be fine, JohnX has a 2nd gen, not sure if 12 or 24 but he runs around 50-70 percent WMO in his.

Im now on my second batch, 1/2 #2 - 1/2 50/50 synthetic/dino with no heaters and 35 degree mornings she idles like crap for about 10-15 minutes until the engine gets warm and then runs and idles like normal, notice more smoke than usual on this mix but not a true black cloud, and more hazing at idle but good power compared to straight ULSD

PowerService is a Cetane Booster/anti Gel/ injector cleaner addative you can find it Wal-Mart works good for straight diesel as well, Makes ULSD exhaust smell nice and sweet like the good old stuff used too!!!! with more power like 91 oct vs 87 is the best comparison for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 PM

My tuthill pump filters 18 QPM at 50 psi through a 2 micron water seperator & has been working fine.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 PM

I may try the bags first just to make sure it works well. It will be much nicer to run during the toasty summer months!

As for being able to run it... I still am trying to find out if i can run it in a 24v second Gen... Anyone running 24v w/ WMO??? I would be happy with 50/50 im not trying to go more then that.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 AM

Quick update here- I got some freeeee Hydraulic oil; used but clean, and it works SO nice!!! I have been a little lazy, and bought a spin-on fuel filter/housing that you buy for a slip tank. I think 10 mic? Then, I bought a CHEAP pump you chuck into a drill, and pump it right into my tank!! At 90% oil, you don't want to sit next to me at a stoplight for long...

I have a 12v, and am at 1000 miles on this tank- I HAD to put 20 gallons of #2 in yesterday
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by catnfool
Quick update here- I got some freeeee Hydraulic oil; used but clean, and it works SO nice!!! I have been a little lazy, and bought a spin-on fuel filter/housing that you buy for a slip tank. I think 10 mic? Then, I bought a CHEAP pump you chuck into a drill, and pump it right into my tank!! At 90% oil, you don't want to sit next to me at a stoplight for long...

I have a 12v, and am at 1000 miles on this tank- I HAD to put 20 gallons of #2 in yesterday

What does the hydraulic oil do to your overall fuel color? Read the thread about the MAN fining you even if your fuel is NOT red but black as in WMO blend. Many hydraulic oils are clear so this might be good.

Quick Reply: Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?