Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Burning Used Oil vs. Fuel Filter Life

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burning Used Oil vs. Fuel Filter Life

I am fixing to change my oil in the next day or so and plan on running the used oil in my tank.

Two questions:
1) I believe the max recomended use is one quart per every other tank full...am I correct?

2) If I run it, should I change my fuel filter more frequently, or will burning it at such a slow rate not make that much of a difference?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why on God's green earth would you run used, dirty, contaminated oil in the fuel system of a $25K truck?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a Very Common practice infact Cummins has a sytem to do it for you called The Centinal where it exchanges the used oil and burns it. here is a link to another system they are the comapny who make the Centinal for Cummins http://www.oilmate.com/
Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 AM

My family has done this for years with only increased fuel mileage being the result. Don't exceed 40:1 or 1qt for every 10 gal.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Centinal uses high filtration to do it's job and is great for truck that's a money maker whose goal is to be on the road as much as possible.
Downtime for an oil change = $$$$
My big question is why mess with used oil on a personal rig to save $6 in diesel?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:23 AM

better then dumping it down the drain, or burning it on the fire
Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by 03 ant a hemi
better then dumping it down the drain, or burning it on the fire
How about taking it somewhere to be recycled like you're supposed to? Most of us live somewhat near an auto parts store or a jiffy lube, which take used oil for free..

I also can't imagine why anyone would risk their CTD trying to save a few pennies by burning used oil. Think of all the wear metals going through your injection pump!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure you could get used oil from Kentucy Fried chicken also, or how about Mc Donald's?

The time you spend goofing around with this you could have easily earned 10 times the amount you think you save by WORKING. Why not just park your truck and live in the mountains of Montana and live off the land? Heck, I'll bet you could even eat out of dumpsters and save money on food too! You could shop at Goodwill and buy used clothes and stand in line at the food bank so you don't have to spend money on food like the rest of us. Did you know they throw out food at resturants at night? If you ask they might give it to you for FREE!

The point is you cannot $SAVE$ yourself into prosperity, nor can you borrow yourself into prosperity.

Boy, is this post gonna get zapped!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 PM

it seems that used oil is filtered, and it probably adds to the lubrication of the diesel fuel, i cannot see any reason why not too. it will be filter again in the fuel filter, sound just fine to me. but i don't want to waste my time dropping oil off at some jiffey lube either.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Geico266
I'm sure you could get used oil from Kentucy Fried chicken also, or how about Mc Donald's?

The time you spend goofing around with this you could have easily earned 10 times the amount you think you save by WORKING. Why not just park your truck and live in the mountains of Montana and live off the land? Heck, I'll bet you could even eat out of dumpsters and save money on food too! You could shops at Goodwill and buy used clothes and stand in line at the food bank so you don't have to spend money on food like the rest of us. Did you know they throw out food at resturants at night? If you ask they might give it to you for FREE!

The point is you cannot $SAVE$ yourself into prosperity. Just like you cannot borrow yourself into prosperity.

Boy, is this post gonna get zapped.

"I'm sure you could get used oil from Kentucy Fried chicken also, or how about Mc Donald's?"
They never change it, so I doubt you could get it.

"The time you spend goofing around with this you could have easily earned 10 times the amount you think you save by WORKING."
Takes me about 1 minute to turn a valve on the 55 gallon drum of old oil, fill a container, pour a quart of used oil in my tank, wipe off the container and put it back in the cabinet. I saved myself a 30 minute trip into town to get rid of my used oil. So at $35/hr, (my usual rate when I go off the farm to do welding), I have saved $17.50. I've found no need for additional fuel filter changes - no extra time/money spent there. And with almost 500,000 miles on the original injector pump I don't think it's hurt it at all. Never really thought about the fact that it *might* be increasing mileage tho, I'll have to check that out. Oh, and I DO work, most times 12 - 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

"Why not just park your truck and live in the mountains of Montana and live off the land?"
I'm doing that too... sorta. I live in Michigan, cut wood and run a tree farm on my own 160 acres. I do a little welding at times, but for the most part, if my land doesn't make me my income, I don't HAVE an income! Close enough?

"Heck, I'll bet you could even eat out of dumpsters and save money on food too!"
Yeah, I COULD I guess. I hunt and trap tho, sometimes that's pretty close! Ever eat possum? If God had a dumpster, that's what you'd find in it!

"You could shops at Goodwill and buy used clothes"
The only thing I can't find there are decent shoes. The pants and shirts are pretty good tho.

"stand in line at the food bank so you don't have to spend money on food like the rest of us."
I don't need to do that.... yet! I donate a few deer a year to the local shelters tho. They seem happy with that. But you're right; what I don't get by hunting or trapping I grow in the garden.

"Did you know they throw out food at resturants at night? If you ask they might give it to you for FREE!"
They DO give it to me for free. My pigs like it, makes 'em big an' fat!

"The point is you cannot $SAVE$ yourself into prosperity. Just like you cannot borrow yourself into prosperity."
I'm not aiming for 'prosperity', just being frugal and making the most of what I have, which ain't much, but it's paid for!

"Boy, is this post gonna get zapped."
On THAT point, you're most likely correct!

chaikwa.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:08 PM

Just because you dont share the same view does not justify you insulting his intelligence!
Old 10-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Angry

::Climbs 5'3" self up on the soap box::

Well guys, thanks for the insults.

Also, I haven't got either one of my questions answered...thanks.

I was going to make a comment on my origional post saying that this is something I planned on doing, please only post answers to my questions, not negative comments on the issue. I sort of figured this would happen.

About the only post I see posible that's left is the guy that is going to tell me I'm going to go to jail if I get my tank dipped. Any volunteers?

You probably can't tell by this post, but I am a person who has a great sense of humor, and enjoys to joke, but I just though I could come here for answers to my questions. Guess not.

::Jumps off soap box::

Now, this is something people do, and have good results. Can someone answer my origional questions?

Thanks,
Joshua
Old 10-22-2004, 05:36 PM

Talking

Chaikwa...thanks for your post. Exactly what I wanted, someone with experience on the issue.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:44 PM

Some people in these forums just type to hear the keys click. Dont take it personal.

I think its a reasonable, environmentally sound question that I too would like to know the answers to even if I dont do it.

And yes, I do know people that burn Kentucky Fried oil in brand new equipment that cost 10 times the cost of a cummins.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by tdubovsky
its a Very Common practice infact Cummins has a sytem to do it for you called The Centinal where it exchanges the used oil and burns it. here is a link to another system they are the comapny who make the Centinal for Cummins http://www.oilmate.com/
Do you have any clue what that system costs?

Quick Reply: Burning Used Oil vs. Fuel Filter Life