Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Building WVO grease kit HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building WVO grease kit HELP

Sorry to double post, I didn't know about this biodiesel forum.

I'm in the process of building a grease kit for my 93 one ton. Does anyone on the forum have a grease kit installed on your truck. I'm attempted to do a search, but didn't turn anything up.

I'm hoping to stay with the frybrid valves, but I'm going to need a 26 plate heat exchanger, and filter and tank.

I have a 98 tdi that has a grease car kit on it, but I'm hoping to save some money and learn about building my own kit this time.

Any help with the install or special parts I should be looking at with the high flow fuel system we have on the trucks would be helpful.

Thanks Michael
Old 09-28-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have bought the parts to do it, but not finished yet. I am using the "Hotfox" heated tank pickup, that I will use with a 20 gallon tank I already have,and a heated fuel filter from Plantdrive. They are willing to sell individual parts to suit your needs. I do have the proper forms for fuel tax in Virginia, and will apply for the alternate fuel permit once it is running.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Id do your research on frybrid's site. The forums and some of chris' plans are open for home builders to use.
Id stick with the frybrid valves. They seem to hold up better under the heat. I have one slightly used for sale if you want to save a couple bucks. Also have some pollak ones for sale too.
If you use a heated filter like the vormax, a heated hose-in-hose to carry the fuel back and forth to the engine compartment, a heat exchanger in the engine bay and some small heat coils in the fuel pickup you should be ok.
I think I still have a CAD drawing of my setup in my images folder.
I chose to put two tanks under the bedsides to save bed space, but Im not liking the way they balance fuel level between them. I will probably sell them and get one of frybrid's spare tire tanks soon. Basically theyre just 12gal HDPE tanks with heater coils in them.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you need the heater and .........
You live in a climate that is more friendly than ours regarding just running the mix it yourself WVO. I'm trying to put together a mixing station in my garagge right now. Should have it done by tomorrow night and be pumpin' fuel by 9pm.

My only concern is this: what more do I need to watch out for. I've already got the mix ratios worked out for todays ambient temperature, but what about when it drops below 40 degrees?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:27 PM

If you want to run veggie oil straight, you need to have a two tank system. Cant run this in the main tank at any mix ratio. eventually youll contaminate the main tank and lines and instead of losing aux youll be stuck on the road somewhere. Getting the water out of this stuff is difficult at best.
You can circulate it in a heated barrel and spray it against the side to drive off the water. Then filter it to 5micron.
Best bet is to set it up with a heated aux tank and switch to it when its nice and hot.
I wouldnt do short trips on the stuff either. Motor should be good and hot to heat and burn the stuff cleanly.