Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Black diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent burnt sunthetic oil and have been warned against it! Recycle it.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by infidel
People I know who have tried burning synthetic say that with more than a couple quarts per tank that their trucks smoke a lot.
This indicates to me that synthetic doesn't burn well and that you don't really get much fuel value out of it.

I give the considerable amount of waste oil I generate to a friend who heats his shop with it. He'll take AFT, gear oil, hydraulic fluid and motor oil but asks that I leave the synthetics out. Says they clog up his heater nozzles.
Bill's thoughts on synthetic
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a good one.
California is discussing a law where new vehicle drain pan plugs will be keyed so only a certified tech can change the oil.
Idea is so waste oil makes it to a recycle center instead of down a storm drain.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Yet one more reason I am glad that I left San Diego! You pay the oil disposal fee at purchase so how hard is it to take it to autozone? Is it really that big of a problem?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
Yet one more reason I am glad that I left San Diego! You pay the oil disposal fee at purchase so how hard is it to take it to autozone? Is it really that big of a problem?
From what I've read only about 65% of oil sold nationwide makes it back for recycling. This doesn't take into account oil added back for fuel, used for heating or leaks. If you are generous and say 10% of the missing 35% gets disposed of by burning it for energy or leaks on the ground that still leaves 25% of waste oil unaccounted for.
The US uses an average of 2.4 billion gallons of motor oil annually, 25% of this going into landfills or storm drains is a lot.
I know quite a few folks who think nothing of dumping waste oil in their trash can but it eventually comes back to bite everyone in the rear.
It cost the property tax payers in my very rural area several million dollars to seal the landfill that was contaminating our groundwater. Most of the contamination was coming from waste motor oil, household chemicals and paint.

It's good that guys here want to add waste oil back to their tank.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Waste oil has cut my fuel cost in half. The oil/fuel rapists are getting less $$ from me and the used oil is not ending up in the landfill, etc.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Infidel, You say that 35 percent of the oil bought doesnt come back. I bet a decent amount of oil goes right through the tail pipe of worn motors. If a motor burns 1 quart out of a 5 quart oil change that would be 20 percent of the oil purchased for that vehicle. I realize that not every vehicle burns oil in large quantities but most due burn a little. Even 1/2 a quart per vehicle would be roughly 10 percent of the oil sold. Just a little thinking On what ya posted.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by infidel
Here's a good one.
California is discussing a law where new vehicle drain pan plugs will be keyed so only a certified tech can change the oil.
Idea is so waste oil makes it to a recycle center instead of down a storm drain.
Ahh the communist republic of california... You could still use an oil extractor to suck it all out of the dipstick tube if they did pass that law..
Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lightman
Ahh the communist republic of california... You could still use an oil extractor to suck it all out of the dipstick tube if they did pass that law..
I was thinking the exact same thing...

Robert, I was just guessing at what percentage of the "missing" 35% goes where.
Seems it would be impossible for anyone to figure out.
But in any case even 1% or less of a couple billion gallons is a lot of oil.
In my times in Los Angles I remember well that when it rains all the puddles and concrete rivers have a rainbow sheen on the surface.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:30 PM

Not arguing with ya infidel. I totally respect your opinions. Just a little thought to keep it going is all. Does it rain alot in LA? When I was in San Diego it pretty much never rained. When it did all the oil from the ashphalt seeped out and caused massive wrecks. We wouldnt leave the house in the rain because of this. There were literally hundreds of wrecks within 5 minutes of a rian storm.
I also agree with ya that 1 percent of the used oil going into the ground can be bad also. I have to admit that I have done this myself. Not in the trash but adding a little to woodchuck holes (last resort after 5 years of trying everything to concrete in the holes) or killing some weeds. Alot of old timers use it to undercoat there trucks also. I just think that it is possible to account for alot of the missing oil. Atleast in theory.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 PM

Cats and Diesels?

Originally Posted by akghound
You should to at least 10 micron.
How do you get around the viscosity issues?
What does it do to the cat?

Ken

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Are you sure that you have a Catalytic converter? I didn't think that diesels in the USA could have Cats because of the high sulfer content in the fuel!

When did they start putting Cats onto CTD?

Old 04-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Drivvven
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Are you sure that you have a Catalytic converter? I didn't think that diesels in the USA could have Cats because of the high sulfer content in the fuel!

When did they start putting Cats onto CTD?
Late '94 - '98 all have cats then it picks up again in '04 or '05
Old 04-14-2006, 08:38 PM

Instead of passing a new law in Cally to change the drain plugs... They should just let the oil companies tap into the sewer system and BAM!! New source of oil... Could be larger than Anwar! Maybe even Texas!
To Heck with Deep Water Drilling and Horizontal Drilling(my Favorite) Now there is Sewer Drilling.
However I think they are going to find that Californians are full of SHHHHHZZZ...
You know.

Oilguy
Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 PM

ok guys how do you do this and do you need anything special or do you just pour used motor oil in a strainer and then to your tank 04 3500 dodge ?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:22 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikal711
ok guys how do you do this and do you need anything special or do you just pour used motor oil in a strainer and then to your tank 04 3500 dodge ?

I haven't run any in my '04 but I've run a lot in my other diesels. Just strain or filter it if it has picked up extra dirt between the engine drain and your fuel tank, be as clean as is reasonable, no water, no dirt clods. Just "clean" waste oil. Runs great and eliminates the disposal problem. It's really a pretty common practice. A lot of boats do it and I did it with mine. I also used to run all my Dad's old oil and mine in the car. I had a guy offer me a bunch of old heating oil that had been sitting in tanks for many years. My Mercedes and my Isuzu said yummm. The next time you get low on fuel in the middle of the night, and there are no diesel stations open, just go to the mini mart and get a few gallons of oil. No problem.
I'm a little more concerned about it with the common rail fuel system and I've been getting my oil changed at a shop, so I haven't run any waste oil in the new Dodge. Hardened steel gear facing that wears off the cam lobes or timing gears and is small enough to pass through the filter may not be good for the injection pump. But I wouldn't hesite to run heating oil or new lube oil if there was a need.

Wetspirit

Wetspirit

Quick Reply: Black diesel