Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Black diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me the jury is still out. I run on WVO, but I have read that when you mix WVO and diesel, the waxes in the diesel seem to separate start to congeal on the sides of your tank and lines. This is something you do not want to happen. This is from people who mix a lot of WVO to diesel. In small quanities, I am not sure. I have a 50-50 mix in my shop that is showing no signs of anything but pure mix. Still, I am on a fence. No matter what I would NOT mix your turkey grease in the diesel. It is what we call hydrogenated oil, oil that has a percentage of animal fat it it. Lard being 100% hydrogenated. Let your oil sit for a week or two, and you will see a separation of oil and grease, unless you have pure grease. The grease can congeal in your unheated filters and clog them. This is also a bummer. If you use 100% pure oil, not grease, and mix it in small quanities, you will not thicken the diesel enough to inhibit the injectors, but that does not satisfy the wax factor. The people who mix large percentages of WVO to diesel also mix regular unleaded gas (RUG) and kerosene. Not for me, but look around the internet and decide for yourself. There is more to it what appears on the surface. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll drag this one back to the top for a bit.

I had been running WO at various ratios up untill last month. I stoped because I was concerned about my VP. I have a FASS system and I'm guessing that filters anything in the tank preaty good but just for kicks I was running it through a paint strainer before I dumped it in the tank. When I say tank I'm refering to a 50 gal tank I put in the back of my truck which has a valve and a hose off the lower corner that goes through the inner fender, through a water seperator/filter from Napa then into the filler neck VIA gravity.
I was filling the tank with approx 40 gal of #2 and then dumping in maybe 5-6 gal of oil, I then let it slosh around for a day to get it mixed up good them flip the valve till the main tank was full. Dont want to forget the valve is open that makes a mess when your tank is full. Talk about fuel everywhere.
After reading through this thread I think I'll start adding it again. I have a filter base sitting on the tool box I was gonna use with a elcheepo pump of sorts to suck it out of the drain pan then through the filter into the holding container till it getts added to the tank. Then it would go through the filter just off the transfer tank before it enters the main tank then through the FASS before it gets to the VP.
Anyone see a problem with my system?
Couldnt I use a pump from Harbor Freight to transfer the oil?

Thanks
Dan
Old 12-08-2005, 12:46 PM

Which pump from harbor freight?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM

I dont remember exactly which one, I was looking at pumps for my BIO pumping and was thinking I could just use the same pump. I'll have to look through my BIO stuff once I get home.

I think this may be the one I was looking at for BIO pumping, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1479

Dan
Old 12-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Last tank I did a 4 gallon mix of WMO and wow what a difference! I/Pmp is much much quieter.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:26 PM

Northslope, thats what I am at right now. The motor is nice and happy with it and I rolled up 215 miles before the gauge hit 3/4 tank. Should be another 19 MPG tank! Only ill affect is a little blue smog 15 seconds after the motor is started in 40 degree weather till she starts to warm up. Clears up after a few minutes. My motor is also running quiter.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zukgod1
I dont remember exactly which one, I was looking at pumps for my BIO pumping and was thinking I could just use the same pump. I'll have to look through my BIO stuff once I get home.

I think this may be the one I was looking at for BIO pumping, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1479

Dan
Dan, I don't think that pump will handle anything much thicker than water.
Think you're going to have to spend a little more money...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Dan, I don't think that pump will handle anything much thicker than water.
Think you're going to have to spend a little more money...

I think it will be ok if the oil is warm, I dont think it will do it at the temps we have today but I think it will pump it.

I have used that pump for various other fluids that were thick, I guess we will see.

The plan is to run to the thrift store and get a hot plate for the barrel to sit on till the oil reaches say 70deg or so (I'll decide the temp based on viscosity) then run it through a filter into a holding tank till I use it.

Dan
Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by zukgod1

Dan

LAsted 100 gallons of B100 pumping. POS!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 AM

50/50 mix @ 1 degree this morning, no problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
50/50 mix @ 1 degree this morning, no problem.
How long have you been running this rich of a mix and do you use any anti-gel additive?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 AM

Is anyone doing this in a 3rd gen?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:35 AM

I was running some WO in my 05 in the summer. I was mostly adding small quantities, but a couple of times I did run up to 1 gallon per fillup. No noticeable differances in performance or mileage, but when I went back to running ps/mmo my mileage went up.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 AM

If you were mixing less than a gallon on WO in your tank and it caused lower MPG I think something elso is to blame. Different driving habits or tire preasure come to mind. I know i run WO in a 12v but I cant see mine gaining MPG at 10 percent and you actually losing MPG at no more than 2 percent.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 05mxdiesel
I was running some WO in my 05 in the summer. I was mostly adding small quantities, but a couple of times I did run up to 1 gallon per fillup. No noticeable differances in performance or mileage, but when I went back to running ps/mmo my mileage went up.
Was it synthetic or dino oil? Anyone burn synthetic WO in a 3rd gen? I heard it doesn't burn very well..

Quick Reply: Black diesel