Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Add hydrogen for better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to build hydorgen unit.?

That web site that billg mentioned earlier. Useing light switch covers looked like the way to go. I still am using bolt with pvc. I am still thinking that I'm in the over kill mode and need to reduce my H production so I get the best MPG.
Anyone else out there have any updates for us? AJ or others? What happend to Oilguy and his info about what He/They did to the jeep to gain 50% mpg?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:38 AM

http://www.savefuel.ca/
Old 12-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

Yes thats what I and others have built.

I wonder how one unit fits all works or does He sell you the one for your vehicle? From what his unit looks like I think I have been in over kill mode. If it only takes three bolts to generate enough Hydrogen then it doesn't take very much to get the 20%+ gains in MPG.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:53 PM

i sent an email off to http://www.savefuel.ca/
this was the reply i received

Thank you for contacting our Customer support department.

As a Military Paramedic I will be traveling to Pakistan for a few months as part of the Disaster Response Team to assist the local population with the aftermath of this horrible earthquake.

My staff will be responding to your iquiries, however response times may be slower than normal.

I truly apologise for this, but I know you will understand. We would also like to ask for your prayers and kind thoughts, both for those that are suffering through this tragedy, and the men and women that are working to alleviate that suffering.

If you already are a customer and require tech support please refer to your Installation CD for the appropriate email address. Tech support is operating normally.

Jan Bolle
CEO
Savefuel.ca
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 PM

I see there is still interest in this. I have been researching this a lot lately. Here is a forum that is very informative. http://www.icubenetwork.com/forum/
It doesn’t appear the single tank systems is making just hydrogen. It is making what is known as “Browns Gas”. It is the 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen atom in a gas form which is being used like a mild form of propane injection, giving you a cleaner burn. Before building or buying anything it would serve you well to visit the site mentioned and do some research. It will be a real eye opener. For some real interesting reading do a search on “Stanley Meyer”. There are others mentioned on the above site but I have not had a chance to research them yet. I have ordered the parts to build the pulse width modulator circuit that was used on the site that had the switch cover plates.
http://www.hydropowercar.com/content.php?content.6
I will be building this soon. If there is any interest I will report my findings here.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Chapter President

Great info

Thanks billg. Looks very interesting. I am trying to keep my system simple so people can make their own with little help. I wonder how precise the % of hydrogen has to be to see improvements. If save fuel. ca is useing the same unit for all vehicles then there must be a little leeway. Or maybe some see better results on different vehicles than others since he hasn't tuned his for specific vehicles.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Chapter President

update

I'm getting a better feal for what the 04 can do. Pulling the trailer around town 16.7mpg overhead 18.8ave. I have turned off the hydrogen a couple of times in the last week to see how the motor sounded starting in the low teens. I starts a lot smoother and easier with the hydrogen on, also seems to run smoother.
How are some of you other guys doing?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 PM

I got all the parts and built the plate electrolyzer. Ran a test with well water and it kicked off good. I’ve started documenting some of this with pictures. You should be able to click on each picture and see more detail. http://www.stickittoopec.com/Hydrogen.html
I haven’t had a chance to do a quantity test yet. I‘ve also built the pulse width modulator circuit. Haven’t had much of a chance to mess with it yet beyond setting it up on a scope. Hope to get to some of that this weekend.
Tree DR do you have any idea how much hydrogen you are making? Would like to know how muck it takes to affect mileage.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Chapter President

quantity?

Billg sounds like your getting in to it now. I have no way to measure volume and from what I've experienced it doesn't take that much hydrogen to get the 20% gain in mpg. I wish Oilguy would let us know what he/they did to his jeep to get 50% gains on his mpg. AJ seemed to be having some success with his set up but haven't heard back from him either.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 AM

Quantity testing is easy. This will give you a good idea of how much hydrogen you are making. You might have to put some kind of weight on the liter bottle opening to keep it below the water line. This will work like an office water cooler. Just time how long it takes to fill the liter bottle with hydrogen.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:00 PM
AJ2

Nov-dec is busy season for me. My Yuban can lasted only a month or so
but it did work, amazing to approach 700 on a tank. I stumbled on a composite(plastic) tank for a three phase application that fits very nice under the bed. In a week or three... I should have something to report.Actually I would like to do something to the wifes odyssey as well....
AJ

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM

Am i missing something here? i posted this earlier/ this shows a unit already being produced for around 150.00. Why mess around trying to reinvent the wheel?

Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by herb
Am i missing something here? i posted this earlier/ this shows a unit already being produced for around 150.00. Why mess around trying to reinvent the wheel?

I don't think they're trying to reinvent anything here, just want to build it themselves and experiment with what kind of difference little variations make. I'm interested in building my own system for a few reasons. 1. I want a larger system than the savefuel.ca; 2. I have a shop to build it in.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:58 PM

I have been researching this for a good while now, long before your post. Here is a good site to get an idea of what is going on with the hydrogen devices. http://www.icubenetwork.com/forum/index.php
I hope you haven’t bought that thing.
After reading his site, the device he is selling is nothing more than a standard electrolyzer (not worth the $197.00). You can tell this a couple of ways: the heavy gauge wire, 50 amp switch, and what looks like a 30 amp meter to carry and monitor the large amount of current. I hope it doesn’t draw this much amperage because with starter, headlights, A/C, other lights, and any other loads, it will take extra horsepower to carry the load and keep the battery charged. I see nothing in this design to manage the load or to vary the volume of gas. It is always wide open.
He is also dumping this gas mixture straight in to the intake. For those of us who have turbos, that means the gas mixture goes through the turbo, intercooler, and then the intake. The “Browns Gas” that these single output devices make is very explosive. This device puts out a constant volume of gas. That means you will have a larger concentration during idle. If something were to go wrong at idle, you could do some serious damage to your truck and blow up your electrolyzer (that won‘t be a small bang either). There should be --at the very least -- a bubbler or flash back suppressor at the tank, because this is where the strongest concentration of gas is.
He is also using lye as his electrolyte, which is not good for our aluminum parts. I am use baking soda. It is easier on our parts and does just as good a job. I have a hard time believing one size fits all.
The one I and others are working on uses a pulse width modulator to vary the load and control the amperage limit. So far my upper amp load has been close to 4 amps and I can vary it down to 0.05 amps. I only need 18 gauge wire and the amperage draw wouldn’t even show movement on the amp gauge he is using. And as for using tap water, there is a picture of what a couple of hours of electrolysis will do to tap water in the PDF file below. My experience has shown that distilled water and baking soda last a lot longer. At the above mentioned site, others have had the same experience.
There are a lot of people out there selling hydrogen stuff and everybody thinks theirs is better than the other guys. Just do a search on eBay, and you’ll find there are a couple of guys having a war of words over their products.
I have put together a PDF file of some of my tinkering. I have spent about $35.00 including the electronics. I’m not trying to sell anything, but I will share what I have learned -- and am still learning -- with those who are interested.
http://www.stickittoopec.com/BrownsGas.pdf
Old 12-20-2005, 04:59 PM

Brown's gas or just cracked water???

I havn't looked that deep into Brown's gas but, as I understand it, it is just the H2O modified slightly with a charge and posibly the bonding angle.

Now cracking is breaking the water down into it's components 2H2O = H2 + 2O2. So in the engine you are not only creating another fuel in the form of Hydrogen but also the theoretical ratio of oxygen with it.

My guess on the improvement of the fuel milege is just helping the combustion in the cylinder to achieve a more complete burn of the combustables. ie 70% to 80% efficiency on the burn (the percentages are just guesses).

Is your machine producing Brown's gas or cracked water???

Quick Reply: Add hydrogen for better mpg