Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Add hydrogen for better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by jon96ctd
the explosive issue has been considered and dealt with as not applicable due to the realatively low dilution.

the mileage/performance gain isn't primarily from the heat energy of the hydrogen burning, otherwise this would be a "perpetual motion" type of experiment. The hotter quicker burn of the hydrogen ignites the diesel faster and allows a more complete burn of the fuel, that's where the mileage and power increase is from.
I don't see a 20-40 amp draw as being detrimental to mileage/power, I wouldn't want it running while the grid heaters were cycling but I don't see any problem other than alternator brushes wearing a little sooner.
40 amps X 12 volts = 480 watts/(746 watts/HP) = .65 HP. Probably insignificant.

Do you see any reduction of smoke? What is your mileage with it switched off/on over the same course/conditions?

Edwin
Old 02-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the questions

Since most or none of us have a science lab to do this in. I use mine everyday sometimes its good, a few times it was worse MPG. I mentioned earlier that I was getting 15mpg driving around town with my 5k trailer in tow. That is loded and empty. When my H was working I got 18mpg for 3 tanks 200 plus miles before I filled up. Thats the best reference point I've had so far. That was on my 97. I am working on my 04 and have consistantly got 16+mpg in town with the trailer in tow. That is with and without the H so I'm not seeing any improvements on this truck yet. I have been doing some redesigning this past week. We'll see what happens.
Edison only made the light bulb the wrong way a 1,000 times or so.
Keep thinking Ed, I think a lot of them gave up.
Tree DR
Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
xmr

I have reread all of the posts on this thread and I think that we are missing something. The electrollisis process creates two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. Our engines prodce more power when you have a cold air intake that gives you denser air (more oxygen). Maybe the small amount of oxygen that the process produces helps to burn both the diesel fuel and hydrogen. this would account for the better mileage around town and not much difference in highway driving because you would use a much higher volume of air running down the highway. Air is only about 21% oxygen so if you increase the amount of oxygen you should get a better burn of the fuel. What do you all think??
Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM

We talked about the oxygen back on page 8. You are right it won’t hurt, but I don’t think we are making anywhere near enough gas to amount to anything, it’s kind of like trying to fill a swimming pool with an eyedropper. I think the best I’ve heard of so far is about a liter or more a minute. We need at least 2 times that a second to support combustion (4% H2) at idle. I posted a formula I got from Balwin Filter on how to calculate CFM flow on Page 11. So CFM x 0.04 is how much hydrogen we need. With these electrolyzers only 66% of what we are making is hydrogen and the remaining oxygen.
After some more research I know where all the heat is coming from. In an electrolyzer it’s amps that make the gas and needs about 2 volts per cell (depends on spacing and a cell being a group of plates in a separate container). You can put them in series, so with our 12v systems that would be 6 cells (is this starting to sound like a battery in reverse?) They say any thing higher in voltage is wasted (heat).

I finally got the Brown’s Gas Book’s from Eagle Research I talked about earlier. They say you can produce about 200% more gas than regular electrolysis. I just got the books so there is a lot to digest. If you are interested here is the link to where I got the books: http://www.eagle-research.com/browng...bg/whatis.html
Just be warned they are a little slow getting the books out. I ordered them in Dec. and got them a week ago. And for those who ask what is Brown’s Gas Try this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown%27s_gas
I'm also looking into an electro chemical method of hydrogen production (not the same as regular electrolysis).
Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Chapter President

% of Hydrogen

When they use propane with our diesels they are not putting enough in for the motor to run on propane just to assist.
We don't need 4% hydorgen to see a improvement in our fuel mileage. If you can improve the diesel burn and get more efficiency out of it you will get better mileage. That's what they say about propane. Hydrogen does what propane does only better because its a smaller molecule. If we had 4% H we wouldn't need the diesel since it will combust on its own at that %, well you'd need a spark plug. I would think the oxygen helps also especially at higher rpms, but the amount of H and the timing of ignition are probably the biggest factors. Heat build up is not a problem to a point. Yes the more heat the more amps you are useing.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:47 PM
xmr

I finally got my hydrogen/oxygen generator up and running on my '98 dakota I used the clear container from walmart and 4 of the stainless steel switch plates from Home depot. It works like a charm. I was a little concerened at first because it was pulling almost 30 amps but I figured out that I had too much bicarb so I poured it out and made anew mixture of distilled water and bicarb and it only draws about 10 amps. I have not had any success finding any place to pick up the swithched 12 volts that will handle the amps. So my next step is to get a relay kit. My only concern about that is should the relay stick it could create a dangerous situation. Now to build another one for my '99 diesel and see how much the mileage increases. All the info on this thread has been invaluable in figuring out how to make this work. Keep up the good work
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Chapter President

keep on trying

xmr Good to hear someone is still working on this too. I'm up to 29 plates in mine right now. There in four seperat sets with a 30amp fuse to each set. I'm still working on the exact amount of production I need to get the most benifits.
Get a 12vlt silanoid and run the power direct off the battery so you don't fry your trucks electical. The silanoid is activated by the ignition so it will not stay on by accident. I put a toggle switch on mine also so I control the silanoid not just the ignition switch.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Chapter President

What are you guys finding?

I've been preocupied and haven't done any new research. I'm going to do some in the next few day again to see if I can get different results.
Bill did you get anywhere with yours?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Hi tree. I’m still here I’ve been a little under the weather and haven’t been too active lately. I have been doing a lot of research with the “Brown’s Gas” books. There is a lot to digest. I hope to do some tinkering this coming weekend if all goes well. There was some unique ideas for amperage and voltage control in one of the books. If it works I’ll pass it on.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Chapter President

Thanks Bill

What happened to the rest of you. I'm kind of like Bill right now, not sick just tooooo much to do any changing or adjusting.
I'm going back to less production as I can see no increases with high production levels. The best increase was at a low level of H and O production.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:13 AM
xmr

Move to the top
Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Chapter President

Thanks xmr.
I've wondered what happened to the ones that were seeing some improvements. I've not had much time to do mods. to my unit. Just going back over my notes I still think it doesn't take much hydrogen to see some improvement.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:43 PM

GREAT Thread TreeDoc!

So - don't we all already have one of these in our trucks, sort of? A BATTERY? Couldn't you just vent the gas from that? Am I being stupid?

(this krazy scien-tifical stuff corn-fuses me... )
Old 04-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Chapter President

Thanks ouchman!
Looks like exactly what I have, only problem is I'm not seeing any difference in mpg. I need a way to change amps infinitly as I travel to see what production levels will work.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Chapter President

The only time I did see any difference in mpg was also when I was useing copper for my negative terminal. The positive is the one being eaten by the Oxygen. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Add hydrogen for better mpg