Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

RamCharger Cummins conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RamCharger Cummins conversion

I had this thread over on 1stgen.org, but now that we have the conversions forum here, why not share it here.

I've had this project hanging around for the better part of a year now, and finally got a chance to start making a dent in it. I've always wanted to do a RamCharger, even before I bought my 93 W250 2 1/2 years ago. Originally, I bought that truck with this in mind, but it was just too clean to tear it apart.

I started with a 91.5 IC Reg Cab, 4x4 Auto W250 for my donor and shortly afterwards picked up a very clean 93 RamCharger off of Craigslist, locally.

I didn't document every single step, but I do have a few pictures of progression through the build.

From the beginning, I knew I really didn't want to use the 91 VE 12V donor motor(busted cam), and I happened to have a very nice low mileage 97 12V p-pump motor sitting in my shop, it made the choice easier.

Because the RamCharger is a 93, and to make the project even easier, I didn't want to use the 91.5 engine harness and PCM, so thanks to Mike T, I was able to get a 93 engine harness and PCM. I also had the 97 engine harness, so I could adapt everything over to the newer connections.

That literally allowed me to plug the engine harness into the 50 pin firewall plug, and almost everything worked. I still need to wire in the diesel infomation center, but that doesn't appear to be too difficult, having service manuals and schematics.

I also decided I didn't want the stock 518 transmision, and didn't want to build one either, I decided the 47RH was the route I wanted to go. It kind of helped I had one available, and the DTT parts around to build one right.

The only mods I needed to do to make this all fit was to move the transmission crossmember support back one bolt, and redrill 4 holes, plus the hole in the floor for the tcase shifter, had to be reamed out a little to give room to get into 4HI when needed. And of course the rear driveshaft I had cut down to 30 inches to fit. The front one is fine for now.

Where I am at today. Just got the Rip 4 inch exhaust pieces to put in yesterday, and will hopefully get that done before the weekend. Need the lift for some other work. Still need to pull all the wheels, hubs and replace brakes and drill out and install longer, 9/16ths studs so I can run the 3rd gen wheels I have, or go to something else. Still, having the bigger wheel studs was something I wanted to do regardless of which wheels I run.
The wheels and tires currently on it, are just a set I have around from another donor truck from another project, and are just too skinny for my tastes.

Hmm, the thought of a crewcab is sounding interesting. Now if the right project came along, who knows.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Here's some pics, there are several others in my gallery too.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM

I have an 83 RC I have been thinking about doing. I bet that P pumped 93 would be quite the hand full with some fuel and air to it.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking sweet!!!

looks awesome .. love it, want one real bad ... keep it up, and help me dream!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 PM

EBunger, I'll let you know how it goes with more power. Doing the GSK, timing and custom fuel plate this weekend. I'm sure a turbo like what I have on my other trucks isn't far behind. Right now, just anxious to get it on the road and driving it.
Getting it registered isn't that big of a deal in AZ, they do a level2 inspection, which isn't really anymore than you describing to them what you did, and they check the numbers on the body and frame, and a good visual of the vehicle, then, if that goes without a hitch, drive across the street and get the opacity emissions test, and we're done.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Mr. Swanson - you're building, in my humble opinion, what would be one of the coolest rigs out there - a 12v Ramcharger. Thanks for letting us read about and see the pics. Please keep us up to date. That thing's awesome.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Some updates this month. Got the Rip's exhaust pieces done, finished up some more of the wiring for the fuel cutoff solenoid, and had to replace part of the wiring to the VSS and VB, plus added a little more fuel with the 3K GSK, custom fuel plate. Replaced seals for the Vaccum/PS pump combo, but I think the front seal on the ps pump is bad, as it still pukes when I turn the wheel. Got another one to put on there for now.

Picked up some nice MB Motoring 16x8 wheels with 285 Nittos yesterday, they give it a much nicer appearance over those 255/85s on steel wheels.

I've driven it around, and its a blast. It feels so much lighter than the trucks. Almost time to go get it inspected and legal.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Fred, What did you use for springs? Did you add to the stock fronts or put on 3/4 ton or what?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 PM

I was going to use the stock donor fronts, but the RC had a 4 inch Rancho kit on it, so with the motor, they're more like a 2 1/2 inch lift spring. The pack has a military wrap, so I'm not to concerned there. Time will tell if they hold up, if not, probably going to try some Alcans. Also kept the stock rears with the Rancho add-aleafs and anti-wrap shocks. I like the ride so far, its not brutal at all.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Okay, more updates. Wired in the TPS, OD and the lockup switch, and everything is working great. OD is still controlled by the PCM, only the lockup is on a switch, for now. Also, wired up the Diesel Information Center, wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. Reused most of the wiring for the gas information center, and since I had the incab harness from my donor truck, I pulled out a couple of wires needed to plug into the 50pin firewall connector, for Wait to Start and WIF sensor.

Had to play with the ABS, as the light kept coming on after the startup cycle. Turns out the connector on the frame, that goes to the rear speed sensor was bad, so I used the spare from the spare Dana70LS I picked up from MikeThomas, thanks Mike.

So now I'm down to fixing just the power steering pump. I have another one to use, just need to get it from my friend that kept it when we pulled the motor I'm using out of a wrecked 97.

Will be heading to MVD hopefully next week, to make it all legal and start enjoying this ride. Will get some new pics with the new wheels and tires I picked up 2 weeks ago , too.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM

Cool

All set to take it down to MVD, and new leak showed up. Seems my tappet cover gasket decided to blow, and a steady drip is now evident.

No problem, ripped it apart this week, and replaced the tappet cover gasket, the mounting bolt sealing washers, and every fuel related washer on the lines, and the pump oring. Plus bumped the timing while I was at it.

Okay, got it finished last night, and now I see gear oil, somehow making its way out of the 205 output.
Aren't projects fun!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 PM

Been busy, not much time to update. Truck is done, legal and on the road. The drive is so smooth, and a complete opposite of my 93 Clubcab.
Finished all wiring, everything works as it should. Got the A/C charged and blowing cold, just in time for 110 degree summer weather.
Picked up some wheels and tires, 285's and that makes it look much better than the skinny 255's on stock 95 chrome wheels.
Also, fixed what I thought were all the leaks, but some new ones have popped up. Will get to those soon.
Just got a factory tach from another RCC site member, that was really a nice find. Took it down this past Monday, for the registration fun, which turned out to be nothing at all.

Note to anyone in AZ converting a vehicle from gas to diesel, in the under 6000lb category. As long as the vehicle is newer than 87 or 88, I believe, all you have to do is go to ADEQ, do the emissions test and go get it registered. That's it. Never even had to open the hood. They mirrored undercarriage, and checked the fuel cap was in place, that's it.
About the emission test: For 6000lb and under, its still a snap test, but a little different, they do it on the rollers and they drive. They have a display, with a rainbow screen, they have to keep it in a range, once up to speed, which is about 45-50mph, and hold it there for 10 secs. Test done.
Passed with a 8%. For this category, the limit isn't 40% , it is 20%. I watched the kid run it, and when he was in OD, unlocked, he blipped the throttle to keep it in range, it puffed what I thought would be a failing black cloud, but not at all.
Even got a chance to tow a 5500lb generator a few miles down the road, pulled it like it wasn't even there. Very nice.
Already had my first question at MVD, "I didn't know Dodge put a Cummins in a RamCharger".

Lastly, I checked on having some Alcan springs built specifically for this setup. They replied back, no problem, we've done a few, so we have the details, just need details on any extra weight, and what height I want. I'm thinking a 3-4 inch spring for all corners. Cost, looked to be less than the skyjackers I have on my other truck, too. I don't know how long the 4 inch Rancho's up front are going to last, and the front is a little lower than I want, and I haven't even put the winch on it yet. So, I think I'm going to go that route. It also gives me reason to stick some 35's under it too.
Name:  Cnv0510.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  40.7 KB
Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM

a couple more pics
Name:  Cnv0513.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  Cnv0516.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  48.4 KB
Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 AM

SO you swapped entire dash and sterring column?

Quick Reply: RamCharger Cummins conversion