Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Project SS....Underway

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was coming home from O'Reilly's in my car after getting Grey RTV and Red Lok-Tite to do the front crank seal and stopped at a stop sign. Put'er 1st, start letting out the clutch, idiot light for oil pops on, and she gives a lurch and dies!!!!!!

Has oil, but crankshaft won't move. My guess is I got the RPM's a little low, couldn't suck any oil, and blew something up.

Now I am working OT on trying to get this done!

Jon
Old 01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was coming home from O'Reilly's in my car after getting Grey RTV and Red Lok-Tite to do the front crank seal and stopped at a stop sign. Put'er 1st, start letting out the clutch, idiot light for oil pops on, and she gives a lurch and dies!!!!!!

Has oil, but crankshaft won't move. My guess is I got the RPM's a little low, couldn't suck any oil, and blew something up.

Now I am working OT on trying to get this done!

Jon
Ouch, kick the tires a few times, you'll feel better.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Well today I didn't do anything to it. Read here for a little info as to why:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=189552

What I am doing is attaching the tranny to the motor and putting it in as one piece to get everything lined up but to do that I need the flex pplate bolts and the TC bolts to bolt everything together. And to get the needed bolts from the local tranny shop, I need to drive about 20 miles on black ice to get there. Not today.

Now that I have no running vehicles in my name, my bro is letting me use his 86 F250 6.9L diesel. It is ok but nothing like the Cummins

And work is asking for volunteers to be laid off for a week at a time. I am putting my name in as I have enough money, then I would have the time to get a lot done.

Progress is slow.

Jon
Old 02-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Talking

Did a lot today! And I have some pics too!

I lowered the engine/tranny combo into the engine bay. I looked and it looked like I could get the Dodges mounts where the old 350 mounts were. So I wrestled it near them and couldn't move them any more. It was caught some where. The turbo was hitting the the wheel wells. So I rotated it about 90-100*. Now I saw that the old mounted places needed to be moved forward about 2". And I was right! I took off the old plates wher the mounts were connected and used a uni-bit to enlarge the 1/2" holes to 9/16". The old Chevy mounts were 4 in a rectangle. I enlarged the bottom front ones and left it loose as I lowered the engine into the bay. To say that it went in easy would be saying that you can shove a square peg into a round hole. Needs a little trimming to get in.

Driver side

Passenger side

As you can see, it isn't bolted yet. But I wanted to make sure the steering didn't get bound up in it. With it bolted like this, I now have room to work with around the firewall AND the AC box!

Firewall

AC Box. Looks are deceiving as I hae about 6" straight back to work with and around 2"-3" around the AC. I need some heat wrap.

And so you can see how it sits in the bay....

Thats all for now. I am pumped to say the least!

Jon
Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Looks awesome Jon! Cant wait to see thefinished burb!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 PM

looks like that dodge cross member was ment to be between those Chevy frame rails. Should be a sweet ride when its done!

Keep up the good work. I am already thinking about a small cummins in my Blazer. lol
Old 02-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Check out turbos10's conversion.. His engine was out of a F700 ford.. but I think the manifold was about the same as a 3rd gen manifold.. it moved the turbo back, and down.. looks like it might help you a little..
looking good.. lots of work...

Edit.. I found a pic of his conversion.. he has a few more in his gallery...

Old 02-03-2008, 03:56 PM

pwrtripl1, those are the Chevy cross-members but Dodge rubber mounts. The Dodge cross-member is 30" between the frame rails, mounting on the insdie of the rails while the Chevy is 28" between the rails and it mounts to the top of the rails. Does that make sense?

Thanks all!

JDGnut, I might have to look into one of those 3rd Gen manifolds, thay look like they will fit.

Jon
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 PM

JDGnut, I might have to look into one of those 3rd Gen manifolds, thay look like they will fit.

Jon
The 3rd gen manifold is the way to go. It will put the turbo close to the frame and tight to the engine. I have aftermarket A/C on mine so it was not a concern on mine, but on yours I would definately build a heat shield. I saw one of these conversions that melted the A/C box really fast with the high mount.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have been there and done that on that chassis. If you plan on running a fan, you will need the engine as far back as you can get it. I really dont think you can run an I/C, A/C with a regular fan unless you "adjust" the firewall. Mine is a about 2" off the fire wall and there is only room for two small strategicly placed electric fan. It is so tight I have to pull the oil filler and belt off to get the radiator out with the fans on it.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM

The thing with my conversion is it is 2wd and I do not want a 4x4. I will try to keep the AC but if it has to go, then it goes. I can move it back about another 1"-1.5" BUT I will then worry about vibrations through the firewall. The engine is as low as it can go as I modified the mounts to lower it about 2" more. Just so that you can fit about 2 fingers width between the oil pan and the 2wd mounts.

Now to look for a 3rd Gen manifold.

Jon
Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM

Anything new Jon?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:07 AM

it's easier to change the oil filter on turbo10's conversion than it is on my factory 98 Dodge- sombody needs paid for doing some r&d for dodge
Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM

I am waiting for the check to get to a member and then I will have a 3rd Gen manifold

Jon
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by catnfool
it's easier to change the oil filter on turbo10's conversion than it is on my factory 98 Dodge- sombody needs paid for doing some r&d for dodge
Hehe...it is pretty easy to work on. The ford setup on this engine is like the "freightliner" package. Ford cummins in a chevy chassis....hmmmm
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM

The thing with my conversion is it is 2wd and I do not want a 4x4. I will try to keep the AC but if it has to go, then it goes. I can move it back about another 1"-1.5" BUT I will then worry about vibrations through the firewall. The engine is as low as it can go as I modified the mounts to lower it about 2" more. Just so that you can fit about 2 fingers width between the oil pan and the 2wd mounts.

Now to look for a 3rd Gen manifold.

Jon
Please take picture of the new manifold installed, I'm curious of how tight it is going to be with the ac, also I don't see the ac compressor in the photo, I have read you have to notch the frame rails to fit it in. And are you going to box in the fram rails? Thanks, and it looks great in that chev.

Quick Reply: Project SS....Underway