Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Need help with Suburban conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Suburban conversion

I got started into the middle of someone elses project and am looking for some advise. Heres what I have: 86 Suburban body (was a 6.2), on a 92 3/4 ton Dodge frame, 4x4, auto. The person who started the project seemed to do a pretty good job. About all that was done was mounting the body to the frame. The entire suburban wiring harness is there. The entire front half of the dodge harness is there w/ the ecu. I picked up where I could and mounted radiator/ intercooler and started wiring. I do not have a lot of experience with 1st gen dodge drivetrain. From what I read it is an overdrive trans, right? If so what do I need to make the trans shift? Does it have a lockup convertor? As far as the engine goes the only thing necessary is to power up the fuel shut off solenoid? I can use guage sending units for the burban and reuse the factory burban guages. What do I actually need for wiring? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can try the 4btswap site ... there is a lots of info there . most guys use the original chevy frame , its very similar to the 1st gen dodges .
You can retain the original gauges , just get a wiring diagram , I think the solid green is the water temp , tan I think is oil pressure ... its pretty easy just takes lots of time ... and some moo la also .
Here is my build , I got a little more carried away with my build ... going to keep it simple with manual fuel shut off , nv4500 , 205 transfer ... it will have air and power windows .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=411609

greg
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OD works by grounding one of the wires.

3 wires needed for it to run, the fuel shutdown solenoid, starter wire, and OD ground for it to work.

Head over to the 1st Gen section and ask away.

BTW, no lock up.