Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

I'm back!...with a v10..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm back!...with a v10..

Hi guys. So I've been a member for a long time and just recently got back in the dodge game with a deal I couldn't pass up. A 97 V10/auto clubcab 3500 2wd slt laramie loaded with leather and power keyless entry, really clean (almost no rust) with 117K on it. Everything works. Came with brand new tires (still had nibs), leer cap, tonneau cover and 5th wheel rails with brand new never used gooseneck hitch adaptor for 4k cash. Now, there is a cummins donor truck in the area I need your guys' input on. http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4725763545.html

What do you guys think the deal is with the no start? What is a fair price to offer him for it. A swap sure would be easier with a whole truck. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Wow, already deleted by the author, must have been a heck of a bargain.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 AM

One day late. Lol
Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Around here, a running 2WD 97 with high miles and a roached body will bring 3500-4K

4WD doubles that.......
Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM

I've seen a couple around here for 3K.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Administrator

I think that's just about the bottom we can expect, the things are worth that and more in parts.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:10 AM

I have a guy here I'm supposed to go see tomorrow about a cummins parts truck for 3K even. Rusted out reg cab 2500 4wd with a burnt out OD. I think with a whole parts truck this should be an easy swap and totally worth it. I can swap the guage cluster, intercooler and the whole engine harness. Now, I have a question. I should probably just swap the fuel tank or at least internals too right? I'm assuming the v10 has an in tank sending unit that will no longer be needed since I'll have a lift pump or FASS? Anything else I'm missing? Guess I'll need to change fuel filler tube too to accept the big pump nozzle.
PS: I'd REALLY like to swap to a stick too but I feel this would add to much work. Plus the donor truck is another auto...:/
Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd swap the tank also. And make sure you flush your fuel lines really good. There's a guy here in my hometown that did just what you're getting ready to do. Next time I see him I'll flag him down and get some advice for ya.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kerry.king
I'd swap the tank also. And make sure you flush your fuel lines really good. There's a guy here in my hometown that did just what you're getting ready to do. Next time I see him I'll flag him down and get some advice for ya.
Much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Well I should be picking up my donor truck next week. A 94 reg cab 4wd Cummins auto rolling chassis. My only real question at this point is if dmv will give me a hassle registering it diesel from an older model. Despite the fact there were no emissions differences between 94 and 98. Correct? Of course this varies by state. But maybe a New Yorker can shed some light? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Administrator

49 states should be no problem 94-98, not sure when Cali brought in the EGR.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Okay, I've done some reading and haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I'd like opinions of guys here. So, my truck is a 97 v10 auto, so 47re. The donor truck is a 4wd cummins auto, so 47rh. I'd need to keep the rh (for pmc compatibility) so can I swap the tail housing for a 2wd one for my truck? Would the tail housing of my 2WD RE work? ORRRR should I kjust keep the 4wd RH the way it is and just put it in the truck for a future over the winter 4x4 conversion? I'd have everything I need already in the rolling chassis. Is it still too much work or just a matter of unbolting and bolting? And of course floor shifter mounting. If I had to buy everything I'd obviously say no, but I'll have the complete drivetrain already. I'd just need driveshafts made as the donor is reg cab and I'm club cab. I imagine all chassis have the mounting holes for the various options. that swap would be done int he winter when I have more time. I don't NEED 4wd but if it's not too much of a pain, I'd not mind having it. I'd get more use out of the donor truck that way.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnny5.9
Okay, I've done some reading and haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I'd like opinions of guys here. So, my truck is a 97 v10 auto, so 47re. The donor truck is a 4wd cummins auto, so 47rh. I'd need to keep the rh (for pmc compatibility) so can I swap the tail housing for a 2wd one for my truck? Would the tail housing of my 2WD RE work? ORRRR should I kjust keep the 4wd RH the way it is and just put it in the truck for a future over the winter 4x4 conversion? I'd have everything I need already in the rolling chassis. Is it still too much work or just a matter of unbolting and bolting? And of course floor shifter mounting. If I had to buy everything I'd obviously say no, but I'll have the complete drivetrain already. I'd just need driveshafts made as the donor is reg cab and I'm club cab. I imagine all chassis have the mounting holes for the various options. that swap would be done int he winter when I have more time. I don't NEED 4wd but if it's not too much of a pain, I'd not mind having it. I'd get more use out of the donor truck that way.
Easy cheesy, either find a 47RH 2WD tail section or keep the 4WD one.

The cases, etc. are completely different between the RE and the RH.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 AM

Patdaly, Thanks for the info. It helps. Now, I know guys say trade in a 2wd for a 4x4, don't swap. But with a complete chassis is that still the case? Do 2wd chassis have all the mounting holes for the 4x4 suspension so you can just swap everything over. Or should I just forget that idea and stick with 2wd?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I am not sure with the 2nd gen, but my gut says no.......... I wish that guy who did the leaf front conversion on the second gen would come back and update his stupid post, that would be the way to fly.

BTW, easy to swap tailhousings, and there should be no end of guys who would swap with you. The section is the same for 42/44/46/47RH's physically, though there are subtle inside changes such as number of plates, helical versus straight cut gears, etc., so worst case you can find a 94/5 version to run until you get a correct 2WD 47 tail section.

Quick Reply: I'm back!...with a v10..