Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE) - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Go Back  Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions
Reload this Page >

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)

Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)

Reply

 
 
 
Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 AM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Hammily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you doing for fuel lines? Are you using the factory Ford lines?
Hammily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 AM
  #17  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
5.9Excursion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on using one of these (the one I purchased a while ago is alittle different design but you get the idea).

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail

Probably use the ford line at the fuel tank for fuel return.

All lines from the tank to the engine will be new 3/8" or 1/2" (can't remember right now) hose also purchased from the site above.
5.9Excursion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
talk about the ultimate family vehicle....looks like its gonna be a great rig when you get er done! Definitely subscribing to this one
BigDiesel396 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 PM
  #19  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
5.9Excursion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little more progress tonight. Got a new steering box and drag link end put on. The old box was worn out and causing the vehicle to not track straight. Jumped back and forth (very annoying). Also got the brake booster removed and replaced with the ford hydroboost unit.


Name:  DSC08797.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  DSC08798.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  93.0 KB

The latest picture of my shop... err driveway...

Name:  DSC08801.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  102.0 KB
5.9Excursion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM
  #20  
Registered User
 
Hammily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion View Post
I'm planning on using one of these (the one I purchased a while ago is alittle different design but you get the idea).

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail

Probably use the ford line at the fuel tank for fuel return.

All lines from the tank to the engine will be new 3/8" or 1/2" (can't remember right now) hose also purchased from the site above.
I did the same thing it worked great. I used the 3/8" biodiesel line. Vulcan is a pleasure to do business with.
Hammily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
  #21  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subscribed.
xtoyz17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 PM
  #22  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am totally jealous. I really want to do a conversion like this! I was thinking a suburban, but same dif right? Man, way cool. Keep us posted.
tmleadr03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
  #23  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
5.9Excursion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a slight delay yesterday. I was swapping turbo's (out with the stock one and in with the SPS62) and managed to burn three fingers on both hands. I had the stainless steel braided oil line loose from the turbo and swung it forward out of the way. It came to rest against the + wire on the back of the alternator. The line started smoking immediately, so stupid me I grab it with both hands to move it (thinking I better move it before it gets hot). Right.... burnt the crap out of my first two fingers and thumb on both hands. I still have the imprint of the braided hose on 6 of my fingers. Blistered up pretty good too...

So in order to still make progress I had my wife out turning the wrenches last night while I gave instructions with ice bags on both hands (I have no idea of how to explain how bad they felt all day yesterday).

So today they don't hurt as bad, just have to drain the blisters every so often. Still making progress though.

Here's the latest pics... Got the engine installed, ready to bolt up the transmission now... Then the new MBRP stainless exhaust goes in

Name:  DSC08961.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  DSC08962.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  131.4 KB

Name:  DSC08963.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  139.5 KB
5.9Excursion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:00 PM
  #24  
Registered User
 
bumpytruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Milwaukee,WI
Posts: 398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I have to tell ya that thing is awesome!! I had an Excursion with the PSD in it and it too wandered down the road.My memory is escaping me right now as to what the fix was but I do know that it was caused by the rear axle rolling on the leaf springs under acceleration and deceleration.I know I found the fix on a ford forum site.But I dont recall which one.I think ford truck enthusiasts but I,m not sure.So if your problem persists after the new box look this stuff up.
bumpytruck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
  #25  
Registered User
 
DevilzTower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 485
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the custom mag-lite holder!!!! that thing is sweet, where do I pick one up???
DevilzTower is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM
  #26  
db
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: P.G. Ut
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Emissions?????
I heard it's a problem going from a gasser to a diesel.
I'd do it to my 05' EX in a heartbeat if I knew it wasn't a problem.
db is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 PM
  #27  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
5.9Excursion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bumpytruck View Post
First I have to tell ya that thing is awesome!! I had an Excursion with the PSD in it and it too wandered down the road.My memory is escaping me right now as to what the fix was but I do know that it was caused by the rear axle rolling on the leaf springs under acceleration and deceleration.I know I found the fix on a ford forum site.But I dont recall which one.I think ford truck enthusiasts but I,m not sure.So if your problem persists after the new box look this stuff up.
I've read all about it, the rear axle causes it to wander on the road. I've installed some of the Landyot radius rods (kind of like caltracs) to try and cure the problem. Also installed a rear sway bar as they didn't come factory until 03 or 04. Next I did balljoints (they were worn out). Then I did tie rod ends. All that is left is the steering box and the drag link arm. However the front caster is only 3.5 degrees and the ford spec is like 1 to 6 degrees. I also have some axle shims (go between the springs and the perch) to give it 2 more degrees of caster to help it track straight if the box doesn't fix it.

Emissions, what emissions? A 03 Dodge 2500 truck with a cummins has no emissions equipment on it from the factory so it wouldn't be a problem passing in stock form in the Excursion.
5.9Excursion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:19 PM
  #28  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,333
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion View Post
I've read all about it, the rear axle causes it to wander on the road. I've installed some of the Landyot radius rods (kind of like caltracs) to try and cure the problem. Also installed a rear sway bar as they didn't come factory until 03 or 04. Next I did balljoints (they were worn out). Then I did tie rod ends. All that is left is the steering box and the drag link arm. However the front caster is only 3.5 degrees and the ford spec is like 1 to 6 degrees. I also have some axle shims (go between the springs and the perch) to give it 2 more degrees of caster to help it track straight if the box doesn't fix it.

Emissions, what emissions? A 03 Dodge 2500 truck with a cummins has no emissions equipment on it from the factory so it wouldn't be a problem passing in stock form in the Excursion.
Right. But a gas vehicle DOES have emissions. So how do you go about getting an inspection on a vehicle that needs to meet certain criteria when your motor meets none of them? E.g. NY requires OBD2 scanning, which would result in a massive fail with a diesel since there is no cat, no 02 sensors, no EGR check, etc..
xtoyz17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 PM
  #29  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
5.9Excursion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I see your question. I live in Nebraska where we don't have inspections... (lucky me)

I'm currently stuggling to get the new goerend convertor installed in the tranny. Sounds like such a simple task that I thought would take 2 mins... Can't get the splines to line up and allow it to go on the last 1/2".

In the mean time I dissassembled the ford transfer case and put the dodge input shaft in it. It's back together now but needs a new input shaft seal (had to destroy the original to get to a snap ring). Didn't take any pics, the wife had the camera today.

Opened the MBRP exhaust box, it sure looks nice
5.9Excursion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
  #30  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if he did have inspectins it wouldnt have to pass since it is a diesel.... Changing of registration is all that is needed
kingofdodge7131 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.