Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

'90 Ramcharger build

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it looks bad @$$ with the duallys on it, makes me want to to this convertion for my wife
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM

I am not particularly fond of the dually rears myself.

Probably going to put the duals on my '92 and the '92 hubs and wheels on the RC.

Anyone have a set of first gen dually fender flares?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 87gn@tahoe
I am not particularly fond of the dually rears myself.

Probably going to put the duals on my '92 and the '92 hubs and wheels on the RC.

Anyone have a set of first gen dually fender flares?
It looks like you have a cab and chassis rear end which is only 2 inches wider than a single rear. From the pics, it looks like dually fenders would stick way out.
I am using a cab and chassis rear under my crew cab. I plan to change the studs from the 5/8 and use a regular single wheel in the back.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Nice build!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
It looks like you have a cab and chassis rear end which is only 2 inches wider than a single rear. From the pics, it looks like dually fenders would stick way out.
I am using a cab and chassis rear under my crew cab. I plan to change the studs from the 5/8 and use a regular single wheel in the back.

Thanks for the heads up. I was unaware that the C'n'C's (which is what the doner was) had different width rears.

I think i'll just go with smaller studs and SRW then. Maybe find someone willing to trade w250 front hubs for my w350 hubs...
Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 PM

So like any good hot-rodders, we could not leave it alone for long.

I have a '94 CTD parts truck so Will and I decided we wanted to go with the bigger turbo off of it.

So off came the stock turbo and exhaust manifold

Name:  sunsetandturbo054.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  117.8 KB

And on went the 2nd gen turbo and exhaust manifold.

Name:  sunsetandturbo060.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  93.8 KB

We weren't putting on an intercooler at this time (will probably be going with the 2nd gen IC) so we needed to fabricate a new path for the compressed air. The non-ic 1st gen air horn was much too small and the 2nd gen air horn wasn't really gunna work in a non-ic'd setup so...

We took off the elbow off of the compressor and managed to squeeze a silicone coupling over the flange. We then took the first gen air horn to a buddy who cut the flange off, turned the flange in a lathe, and welded on a stub of 2-1/2" aluminum intercooler tube that Will had laying around.

Name:  sunsetandturbo057.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  sunsetandturbo058.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  96.0 KB

Then with another piece of Will's spare intercooler tubing and a spare silicone elbow, voila:

Name:  sunsetandturbo061.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  88.1 KB

The new turbo spools up much quicker now and I don't have to sit for 30 seconds or more spooling up to spin the tyres.

The old turbo was laggy, but seemed to hit harder and pull stronger once it got going. Unfortunately we never had the chance to see what kind of boost numbers it was producing.

The new turbo spools quickly but my a$$ dyno says it isn't pulling as hard. It tops out at just under 30psi without the wastegate actuator hooked up to a boost source, so perhaps some fiddling with the wastegate is in order.

Some of the lack of felt performance issue might be psychological, as I had just spent the day in-between the old and new turbos driving around Will's modified, and surprisingly quick, turbo van which pulls much harder than the RC ever did.

Anyone know what the stock boost #'s were for a 1st gen non-IC'd engine as well as for a '94?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe find someone willing to trade w250 front hubs for my w350 hubs...
Thats what I did.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Ground fuel pin, bottomed star wheel, and turned in the power screw a bit.

Goes like stink now. 35psi manifold pressure.

I could only turn in the power screw a little as the idle screw is completely backed-off and I am not particularly fond of a 1000rpm idle on my diesel. Don't really feel like re-indexing the throttle either.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I like it, will be really nice once you get the hubs switched around for SRW's
Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know what the stock boost #'s were for a 1st gen non-IC'd engine as well as for a '94?
I think the stock numbers for low 20s, like 21psi (for the non i/c), don't know what the 94 boost numbers were ...

Some of the experts will chime in soon with the correct answer ...

I have to say the dually rears - bring back fond 'Mad Max' memories ... but I could see why you're not fond of it ...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Wow you did that conversion quick and in a hurry...well done!!

My 89 motor will spool up to 17lbs boost...that's with all stock setting on the pump. I believe a stock 94 turbo, on a stock 1st Gen, will push about 25lbs boost.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Thank you for the kind words guys....

I swapped the front hubs with my W250, but the rears will not swap due to axle housing stub length and axle length.

I was thinking of swapping the entire rears, but both trucks have differing gear ratios, so it would be a matter of swapping BOTH axles or getting new front gear sets to match. Both options are more work than I'm interested in at the moment. The SRW looks good on the RC, even with the slightly wider W350 rear axle.

After the stock downpipe sheared off at the v-band flange, I ended up installing a Diamond Eye 4" exhaust. There was no room for the muffler, so it is a little noisy. She spools even faster now. I would like to get her to the track one of these days, just for fun.

I would like to find a '91.5-'93 core support and intercool this *****. The '91.5-'93 grill is much better looking IMO too.

Oh, how much do you think a 6BT powered RC with a California DIESEL title is worth?

I would think it's rarer than hens teeth.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Good luck finding another Ramcharger that has one of these:

Name:  new001.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  89.9 KB
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM

I am planning on coating the ENTIRE interior sheetmetal with beadliner, then sound insulation, then carpet and headliner.

I am also looking to put in a rear windsheild wiper and defroster I know defrosters were an option, but I'm unsure about the wiper. I have seen only one RC with a rear wiper and it was ex-law enforcement. Was it an option or custom? Does anyone have a rear gate with wiper and defrost?

Also in need of front non-saggy headliner in grey. Or a source for new ones.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
nice build man, i love it. maybe ill see you drivin around one of these days

Quick Reply: '90 Ramcharger build