Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

85 Chevy k30 3+3 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Chevy k30 3+3 cummins

I have finished the conversion.................no wait it will never be "done" I have been driving it. I have a few things to finish. #1 change those 4.56 gears ,#2 get the tach to work. Without boring you guys with details I bought the 93 Dodge W350 getrag about 6 or 8 years ago and I loved the Cummins, the 93 cab not so much, the jump seats are almost useless. The wiring is bad and my transmission was poor. Fast forward to last spring I have a friend with a small junkyard and he is smart enough not to crush everything that come on the lot. Sometime he puts stuff by the road. That's where I found a 85 Chevy 6.2 crew cab 4 speed U.S. Gear overdrive unit. It didn't run but was pretty solid, needed tires, a back window and a tailgate. So I gave Darrin just what he asked for so he threw in the extra parts that were missing. I got it running and drove it all summer, got most of the bugs out but that 6.2 had to go, that was the plan from the beginning. Well in Sept. while hauling a gooseneck and flogging the 6.2 pretty hard she blew a head gasket, surprise, surprise. I wanted to do the conversion over winter but we started a little early. I figured out both trucks had a 205 case in them, both trucks needed trans work so I had the getrag rebuilt and put the two speed on the back of the Dodge 205, shorted the back shaft 4 inches and stuffed it under the Chevy. After that it was all down hill I hacked the piece of Dodge fire wall out that holds the master clutch cylinder in and bolted it in the Chevy welded both rods together made a trans mount, changed all the dodge sending units to Chevy, put a regulator on the alternater, and walla she's good to go. Now to the part that is kicking my *** the tach. I have the 93 Dodge tach in the Chevy and it has 3 terminals bat, g, and r. The wires coming from the crank sensor are brown with yellow tracer , black with a white tracer and white with a black tracer. Now how does it wire up? cause I got no idea I have the tack wired bat to 12 volt switched , g to ground and the r goes out to the front of the motor and I touched all the wires coming from the crank sensor and I got nothing. Anybody on here ever done this tach hook up before? I could use some help. Big Sal
Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a cool conversion! Good luck. Wish I could help.