Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

79 Ramcharger 6BTA conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 Ramcharger 6BTA conversion

I have the engine (93), transmission (92 727) and the truck (79 Ramcharger with 360 auto and NP203) . I know about the radiator support and front leaf springs but are there any other things to be aware of before I take the top off of the Ramcharger and put this monster in it? The pics aren't great but I am not a photographer!!!

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails 79 Ramcharger 6BTA  conversion-ramchargercompressed.jpg   79 Ramcharger 6BTA  conversion-cumminscompressed.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Buy as many needed items before you start.

1. Buy all the harnesses and if you can find a later model fuel tank get it. If you swap over all the dash components, best bet. You wont have any issues. You will have to run new fuel lines. I spent almost a full year buying up spare parts to get what I wanted. What axles are you running? The 9 1/4 rear will be a time bomb but will last if your easy on it. I would find a nice D70 or D71 like I chose to use. The rest is up to you. Good luck, my only regret at this time is I didnt start with a rust free 1974-80 RC. I think it would have been cool to take the top off.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by freight train
Buy as many needed items before you start.

1. Buy all the harnesses and if you can find a later model fuel tank get it. If you swap over all the dash components, best bet. You wont have any issues. You will have to run new fuel lines. I spent almost a full year buying up spare parts to get what I wanted. What axles are you running? The 9 1/4 rear will be a time bomb but will last if your easy on it. I would find a nice D70 or D71 like I chose to use. The rest is up to you. Good luck, my only regret at this time is I didnt start with a rust free 1974-80 RC. I think it would have been cool to take the top off.
Thanks for the feedback. The engine I got is a "3 wire" without electronics will I still need to change over the dash?

As for the axles...This truck has a D70 rear and D60 front. I don't know how that happened but that is what there is so I believe the only thing I will do is convert the hubs to an 8 lug. It may be unnecessary but I have a couple of sets of 8 lug 17 inch wheels from my 05 that would make 35 inch tires work. My thoughts are that coupling that with the 3.55 gears will give this beast pretty decent highway mileage. I may stay with 33 or 285 70 17s but time will tell.

Do you have any suggestions on where to get or what to use as a gas tank? The existing tank is 30 plus gallons and plastic. I was planning on using an airdog as a lift pump and have seen this done on other RC (that's where I got the idea)

Things on the list to buy: (not in order)

New intercooler for the 05 (to create the donor)
Fuel lines
Hubs
silicone connectors for the intercooler
gauges (pyro, trans temp, boost)
motor mounts
starter
airdog (or FASS)
a couple of extra leafs for the front springs

What am I missing???
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 PM

The fuel tank is a hit or miss. The last gen series of Ramchargers use a tank with a retainer ring to hold the unit in place. Finding one from a 1991-93 will allow you to use a deisel float unit with a built in retern already in it.

I used a Kelderman air ride kit on the front of mine. I replaced the factory 3ply setup with a 4ply and then went to the air ride kit. Softer ride
You will need a 29 spline NP205 along with a coupler to mate it to the 727. Plus all your lines.
I assure you no matter how much stuff you think you have you will need more. I have had the RC stuffed with parts on three seperate occasions as this conversion has progressed.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

He could modify the pick up and use an Air Dog though. I would think any Poly or steel tank will be OK as long as it fits. I remember I had a 25 gallon Aux in my 79. That was a steel tank.

The only problem with the steel tanks would be the age and the chances of rust. Filter the heck out of the system and you should be fine.

I didn't see it said, the motor weights about 250 more than the LA that was in there. You'll need at least 2 extra leaves in the front to hold it up. You don't want it to have a nose dive, it will be very unstable. The wheel base is short and you don't want to be doing end over ends. Look at brake options too. Over all I think you'll be adding about 500#. But the brakes should come with the axles anyway. Chose wisely.

My .02
Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Good point Polaraco.
I used D71 in back and a D61 up front. New calipers coming soon and I did the bigger wheel cylinders and 12"x3" on new drums out back was a must on my very well used and rusty axles
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM

i think the chry 9.25 is pretty darn tough if one isnt towing. mine has stood up very well with 9 in. slicks and 7 years of street and strip driving. if it quits today i wont complain just fix it and drive on.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 AM

Freight Train and Polarco,
Thanks for the feedback. My plan is to add 3 leafs to the front spring pack and convert the 5x4.5 hubs that are on the D70 rear and D60 front to 8 lug along with the biggest brakes I can find. That is way in the future.

I had hoped to keep the NP203 for nostalgia as well as durability. I wonder if the NP203 I have will mate to the 727 I am getting...Might need a T-case as well.

Did you change drive shafts Polarco?

This is becoming one expensive swap. I'm sure it will be worth it but it will take more time (and money) than I originally thought!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 AM

No. I just owned a 79. Mine was just a plain truck with all the creature comforts inside. I just know the problems in the swap. Having considered doing others.

One other thing they were good for was spring wrap in the rear. Consider traction bars.

I know an outfit in Colorado than is pretty inexpensive that can make you custom springs. He makes them for my cars for me. Sweet. I paid 500 a set for custom springs about 4 years ago. I bought 2 sets then
Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Polaraco
No. I just owned a 79. Mine was just a plain truck with all the creature comforts inside. I just know the problems in the swap. Having considered doing others.

One other thing they were good for was spring wrap in the rear. Consider traction bars.

I know an outfit in Colorado than is pretty inexpensive that can make you custom springs. He makes them for my cars for me. Sweet. I paid 500 a set for custom springs about 4 years ago. I bought 2 sets then
please let me know how to get a hold of that company. I will be in Colorado for Elk season in a few weeks and would love to stop by and pick up a set of springs!!! Thanks!!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Alcan Spring http://www.alcanspring.com/

I think the owners name is Charles. I love his stuff.

I have to order a set from him, but not until next year. He probably doesn't remember me. . .By name anyway, but he made a set of custom springs for my 72 Polara. Absolutely perfect. He hit it right on target to my verbal spec.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive never seen a Dana 70 /60 combo in a ramcharger with a five bolt pattern, should have a Dana 44 in the front and a 91/4 in the rear, I would ditch the np203 in favor of a 205 in a heartbeat, then swap in a Dana 60 front with hubs to be able to have 2wd.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Sorry a little off topic.... I thought '80 was the first year for the flat hood, and '79 was still the "birdbath" hood, or am I mistaken?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
79 was the change over year mid year. You could get lock outs on the front and flat hoods
Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Ok cool, thanks I couldn't remember!

Quick Reply: 79 Ramcharger 6BTA conversion