Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you thinking about putting them in the box or do you want them up front?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 PM

i plan on putting them up front....one on each side....in the stock locations i just need bigger battery trays so the 1200cca batteries i have will fit....i run long welding leads back my frame and up into my bed so i can plug the winch in....when i have my trailer hooked up
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had one of these 6bt chevy and it ripped i sold it recently. i swapped it out in about 80 hours fabbing everything myself
Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 AM

i'v got way more than 80 hours of work in the truck but i'm not just swapping the motor in and being done with it....i'm doing a lot of other work to fix the truck up as well........still havnt decided on a paint color....but iv narrowed it down to either black or burnt orange....i like burnt orange myself, my painter likes black....the battery trays are done!.....i'll post some pics up of them soon.....thanks to everyone that views or posts!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Looks great buddy , I have a 1990 GMC sub that I am repowering once I find the time and space at my shop , right now I am in parts gathering mode ... I have all the important stuff 95 6bt , NV4500 / NP205 , dana 60 and 14 bolt .
Did you do any boxing of the frame ? Your springs seem to be holding the motor up from the pic you posted .
I was thinking of swapping out the stock 48" springs for a pair of rear 52" springs for a better spring rate , I have done a truck years back and the weight of the cumminns was too much for the stock springs , then I swapped out to skyjackers springs and with out the frame reinforced the frame started to show signs of stress .
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 PM

Looks good. I did my Chebby CC back in 96 and have enjoyed driving it 14 years now. Betcha can't wait to get her running!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Greguw
Looks great buddy , I have a 1990 GMC sub that I am repowering once I find the time and space at my shop , right now I am in parts gathering mode ... I have all the important stuff 95 6bt , NV4500 / NP205 , dana 60 and 14 bolt .
Did you do any boxing of the frame ? Your springs seem to be holding the motor up from the pic you posted .
I was thinking of swapping out the stock 48" springs for a pair of rear 52" springs for a better spring rate , I have done a truck years back and the weight of the cumminns was too much for the stock springs , then I swapped out to skyjackers springs and with out the frame reinforced the frame started to show signs of stress .
I did do i tiny bit of frame reinforceing around the steering box....being that my truck is a military issue chevy it has some extra supports in the frame....again they arnt much but they are there....i compaired the chevy frame agaist the dodge frame and i considered the chevy frame to look a lot stronger than the dodge.....my chevy came stock with four front springs....they are whats holding it up now....i plan on adding a couple more for good measure and try to reduce sagging....thanks for the reply! and i can't wait to see your swap!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by OneBigDoofus
Looks good. I did my Chebby CC back in 96 and have enjoyed driving it 14 years now. Betcha can't wait to get her running!
wow i hope i get to enjoy mine that long!.....and you better believe it.....i'm trying hard to get it into the paint booth! thanks for the reply!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM

ok here's the battery boxes, well i only have pics of one....but the other is exactly the same just bolts on the opposite side, another update i got everybody panel from the cab forward, mounted up and lined up the way they should for mock up and begun breaking everything back down for paint....trying to start spraying next weekend!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 AM

have you decided what color you are going to paint it yet?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 AM

yes, its going to be PPG Hugger Orange, basecoat clear.....i'm a big fan of orange and in the long run i just couldnt go with anything else.... if all goes well the cab should be orange tonight!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Twisted Inc.
yes, its going to be PPG Hugger Orange, basecoat clear.....i'm a big fan of orange and in the long run i just couldnt go with anything else.... if all goes well the cab should be orange tonight!!!!

Better start saving up for the "blinding other motorists" tickets......... Man, that's a ton of sheetmetal to make look like a punkin.....

I like your style though!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

keep it coming love to watch someone getting something done. i move at a snails pace anymore.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM

lol....its going to look pretty good IMO, i got the cab painted and sanded and buffed out.....got my cab lights on and some chrome drip edge bolted on and its really looking good....the doors are in high build..and one is blocked down ready to seal....my goal for tomorrow is to have both fenders in high build....but i have a TON of sanding to get the old peeling clear coat off them....if all goes well i should have the door and fenders painted friday! i'll post pics soon! thanks for the posts everyone and the encouragement!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM

i finally uploaded some pics this morning as soon as they are approved ill post them up

Quick Reply: 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!