1983 D350 Crew CTD 5speed - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1983 D350 Crew CTD 5speed

Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Front suspension rebuild

so before I stab the cummins into the crew cab I am rebuilding the front end on the 1983 d350. I have upgraded all the suspension and steering parts to 1993 (diesel) products and ran into a small snag.

Everything fits its except the diesel outer tiered ends will not fit into the gas steering knuckles.

I am left with 3 options.
1-tear it back down and use the knuckles from the donor truck after I get them off the donor truck
2-send back the diesel tie rods and order the gas ones for the correct year.
3- drill out the knuckle to accept the larger tie rod end.

Thoughts?
all help appreciated.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Thanked 1,047 Times in 727 Posts
Not number 3 unless you're a machinist by trade, or have one you trust can,produce the proper taper in the knuckle end. Problem I would,think, is the enlargened hole would exceed the design tolerances of the knuckle.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Any progress on the crew cab?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:01 PM

It has been slow going I have rebuilt the front end with all of the diesel front end parts and all new moog suspension parts It is back together now All I have to do is yank the 360 and stab in the cummins and getrag Trying to find time in my schedule to get it done
Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 PM

7/22 update pulled old motor

I finally started the no going back step of my cummins swap. I pulled the old 360 and tranny out. And started the conversion process. Made some room in a buddies shop where the conversion will begin.
Pulled the fenders and the entire front end for ease of working.
Got the motor and tranny out. Now the fun begins
Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Fabing up the new bulkhead plug and hydraulic slave cylinder hole
Getting closer
Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 PM

Couple questions which have come up for those of you who have done a crew cab conversion

1) it looks like I need a diesel brake booster bc the shaft is narrower where it connects to the pedal correct?

2) what is the best way to go about converting the fuel system from gas to diesel? Just swap I diesel sending unit? Does anyone have a recommendation on type of fuel lines? What about a sump? Would I still need a sending unit?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 AM

I have seen the gasser brake boosters used, so I know it can happen.

As far as converting the fuel system.
Drop tank [easier but can be done in place], drain gas, clean [if you want]. refill with diesel and reinstall with a diesel sending unit.
Prime lines and start the motor.

You can use a bottom of the tank sump, but leaks concerns have always kept me from using this option. Drilling a hole in the bottom of a fuel tank, just seems dumb to me.
I order diesel rated fuel line from Geno's Garage usually for my projects. Cut to fit and install.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:19 PM
BHD

Originally Posted by Pmschmitt View Post
Couple questions which have come up for those of you who have done a crew cab conversion

1) it looks like I need a diesel brake booster bc the shaft is narrower where it connects to the pedal correct?

2) what is the best way to go about converting the fuel system from gas to diesel? Just swap I diesel sending unit? Does anyone have a recommendation on type of fuel lines? What about a sump? Would I still need a sending unit?

Thanks
I used the diesel brake booster because I had one from the donor and it didn't leak, also if Dodge made it different from the gasser, its different for a reason. Maybe the vac pump on the Cummins isn't as efficient as the gas engine vacuum? That is my 2 cents.

When I did my RamCharger conversion I did exactly like Oliver suggested. Drop the tank, clean, swap senders, install. When I built the FireWagon, I used the gasser sender that had a return port.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pmschmitt View Post

Thanks
Quite sure its a year thing... a '90 D250 (cummins) booster fit directly on a '90 ramcharger pedal. On my '77 W300 the booster rod is fatter where it connects to the pedal.