Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

which trans builder should I trust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which trans builder should I go with?

Who should I go with for a built auto? I live in Southeast Alaska and nobody is just down the street, but DTT is the closest. I've seen alot of call Dave at Goerend's or call Bill at DTT give me some feedback on both can't make up my mind on who to go with. I like views on single and triple disc t/cons from both builders.

might be doing some competition in the future here's the list of bombs to come:

1) 191's

2) 370's

3) hx35/40 hybrid

I know this is a matter of opinion and I don't want to envoke a brand war but I highly value all of your opinions and experiences so tell me the pros and if any cons with both

Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 PM

what about sun coast or ats. i see those tranny's being used for pulling and dragging more than dtt or gorends
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by halerazor
what about sun coast or ats. i see those tranny's being used for pulling and dragging more than dtt or gorends
You hear more, or see more advertising for those two brands pulling & dragging but I bet there are a lot more Goerends tranny's out there pulling and dragging than we know about. I hear plenty of DTT's out there, but don't hear many Goerends.

However after a ride in a '01 QC LB 4x4 with a Drag Comp & 40HP injectors sideways around a curve in the OPPOSITE lane I'm convinced and biased my next truck will have a Goerend Tranny!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One by one, do a search on each brand.
You will quickly see who has the fewest problems and who has the most.
You are already looking at the two best.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:16 AM

You might try checking out www.haisleymachine.com
They actually build pulling trannies and use parts from ATS, Goerand, and DTT.
Their trucks win truck pulls too!!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:53 PM

wich one of haisley's trucks has an auto. both there trucks are sticks and using at least a triple disc clutch
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 AM

Terry Coppess "BLUE GOOSE", Scott Amos, Chris Harness all of those are autos and are Haisley Machine trucks.

Terry was 10th place at this years THUNDER IN IRP in the street class.
He won last years Thunder in Muncie street class.

Chris Harness is #2 in the Sledpulling point standings in DHRA, Terry is not far behind in the top 10 in points.

FYI
Old 07-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
northslope:

FWIW, the Scott Bentz Diesel Rail Dragster has an ATS TripleLok Transmission in it.
You can call their toll free number (1-800-949-6002) to find a dealer near you.

----------
John_P
Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by John_P
northslope:

FWIW, the Scott Bentz Diesel Rail Dragster has an ATS TripleLok Transmission in it.
You can call their toll free number (1-800-949-6002) to find a dealer near you.

----------
John_P

My brother got....DIESEL? is an ATS dealer, but he has had a few mishaps with his trans & t/cons so his misfortune has led me away from the ATS way and more than likley towards DTT's direction just really being very discriminitive with whom I spend $4k with tryin to get feed back good and bad

PS it's gonna take a lot of overtime to afford a good one for me!!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:05 PM

i have a make shift tranny upgrade from a local shop transgo shift kit for the valve body,precision tq con and a 2nd drum with more frictions,seem to be holding well.if or rather when it goes il give tim barber and dtt a chance to price one ,if not il give joe at suncoast a call and get one of his
Old 07-02-2005, 09:34 PM

i say none of them..............buy you a old tranny,study all you can,and build it yourself.machining the drum,adding one clutch disc to the packs,and increasing line pressure isnt rocket science,and sure isnt worth 6 thousand dollars,,and you can take that to the bank.........................bama
Old 07-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Suncoast..wizards
Old 07-04-2005, 02:18 PM

Tried getting info from all the major trans builders, and Dave Goerend was the only one who took the time to get back with me, and on his own time at that. I'm going with Goerend on my '93...
Chris
Old 07-06-2005, 07:09 PM

I have a Goerends Tranny and one of his "Trick Tripple" converters. I have personally been to his shop and it is a top notch operation! They do ALL thier own converter work. The Stator in the converter I have has a patent on it. While I was there, Dave took the time to sit down and explain EXACTLY how the 2-3 shift works. Not by just telling us, but using parts that were sitting there and actually illustrated it. He's a busy guy..he could have just asked us to sit in the waiting area like most shops. He invited us into the shop and showed us anything and everything we wanted to know. He took the time because he actually cared about our Business. Not just making the bottom dollar.

He also explained to us how and why he has his transmissions shifting smoothly, and not harshly. There are 2 reasons.....Dave works on ALL trannys, but knows the Dodge's the best.
He had a local Ambulance come in needing a tranny. So he BUILT it to handle anything and everything. Well about 2 weeks later they brought it back in and said you HAVE to soften the shifts! He said it took quite a bit of work but he got it dialed in.

With the torque our engines provide everyone complains about breaking shafts at the shifts. Think about that.....Take a foot long extension, put it on a stuck bolt. LEAN into it....smoothly. You can make that extension flex a LONG ways before something pops. Now SLAM that thing around.....Either something is gonna give, or break. Same thing with the shafts in our transmissions. Make the Tranny shift smoothly, but hold the power...you now have the best of both worlds.

I have sled pulled 2 times with my truck. Neither time did I feel the truck upshift or downshift. I could hear it, but not feel it.

How about the warranty. Best in the Biz.
Try suncoast's warranty.....if they even have one anymore!

I had a Suncoast....send me a PM as to why I will tell EVERYONE to stay away from them!

my .02
Josh
Old 07-06-2005, 09:32 PM

I agree with everything Josh says about Dave G. I am about 40 minutes away.and just got mine back from him. AWSOME!!! went with the triple lock, billit shafts, and billit plate, I went farther and also put new lines, and oversized cooler on also. definilty give dave a call today! you'll be glad you did!! shawn

Quick Reply: which trans builder should I trust?