Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Diesel Trucks Wanted Sled Pull Near Houston Mo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coreydr2003
Satburn did you git my post on some of the rules that i posted for my pull on the 22nd.If you agree with what i posted reply. Need alittle help
Ha ha... When did I become Patron Saint of Pulling Rules?

Hey it's your pull, you do what you want and we'll have to follow them. I can offer some ideas and suggestions but it comes down to you. Most pulls I've seen for larger purses use DHRA style rules.

This year's DHRA rules are here:
http://www.dhraonline.com/main/forms...ook-v2.7.1.pdf

Then there was Platte City, who put on a similar pull to what you're doing and used DHRA style rules with a few small changes.

http://www.plattecountyfair.com/2007...ullRules07.pdf

As Matt said, some pulls offer the 2.5 rule on turbos in the Work Stock class. This is sort of a compromise for those running trucks in Street Diesel that have to compete with other trucks that well.... aren't "street" diesel. In the end, this is all going to hinge on you and your tech crews ability to enforce whatever rule set you want to use. Does nobody any good if you throw out 578785493 rules and only check weight, hitch height and never pop a hood.

I've always personally liked the idea of teching after the hook and only for payout positions. If you payout the first 5 places, grab those trucks after the class hooks and run them through tech. If one fails, start working your way down till you find a legal one. Keeps you from teching every truck before they hook. But, if you have a large enough crew and can rifle through all of the trucks prior to hook, go for it. Just be realistic in what you can handle.

As for which rules? I like DHRA rules, but that's just a personal preference. It's your show, you tell us what you want. Just post them for everyone to see and make it clear. If you say DHRA rules, then make it official and give out that PDF link. If you want to do something like Platte City, copy their's and post that. The key is consistent and clear communication if you don't want any puller's getting PO'ed for not understanding the rules.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satburn.. While I agree with you on the tech issue of running trucks through tech AFTER the fact. I think this will only work in a perfect world.

It's far too easy to quickly remove certain items... ones that hold compressed air of some sort to be exact.

I think that teching needs to at LEAST look a few minor things over before the fact. Then dig deeper after the fact.

I'll probably show for this pull just to watch, my truck still isn't up to pulling in a bigger pull yet. Maybe next year..
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM

everything still a go for this event? Haven't been able to make 1 pull yet this year and itching to watch the coal roll. Will their be an option for rookies that would like to see some the hitch and safty setups of the truck in the pits or will it be closed off to pullers and crews only. Got the power and driveline line planned and figured out but at bigger events with sanctioning bodies i try to see how all the other stuff goes together.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:09 PM

the only thing I can suggest is get a set of rules stick by them dont let them slide! post them plunty of time prior to the pull !trust me disqualifying a few is better than having all the field mad...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM

I would say follow the DHRA rules, but allow the 2.5 turbos in the work class. There are tons of guys running a genuine work truck that can not compete in the street stock class with their 2.8 turbos. For those that do not know, the 2.5 is a 64mm compressor.

Also, do you plan to have a 4500rpm rule?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 PM

I understand how everyone wants different things , but i need to stick to my guns!! Theres alot of trucks out there that would like to pull the work stock with a stock turbo that have lots of mods it wouldn't really be fair to those guys either. So as it stands right now there will be DHRA rules with a 8500 lb brake. Please if anyone has any question on these rules go to DHRA fine your class of rules and read them understand them.
As for tech!! We will weigh you in chech your hitch and look a few things under the hood. Afterwards will take the top five and tech them again, everyone will need to stay in a single file line to the end of each event no work will be done.I will have my staff to watch these trucks.
Please you pullers know whats right and whats wrong try not to bend these rules. Lets have a great Time so we all can do this again next year
Thanks Guys
Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM

how do you plan on teching the 4500rpm limit it is almost impossible to tech.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM

oh one more note tech guys should not be competing.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 PM

I don't want to pick at things.Come have a good time I'm tryin to make it fair yes i will be pullin no I'm not teching. Pull or dont pull but come an have fun with use!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Oh forgot yes anyone is welcome in the pits cause theres not much room to keep people out and i really dont want that anyhow.
RPM. Read the Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:02 PM

I don't want to pick at things.Come have a good time I'm tryin to make it fair yes i will be pullin no I'm not teching. Pull or dont pull but come an have fun with use!!!!!!
I can understand and appreciate what it is you're trying to do, we all can. But as frustrating as it is for you to wonder "why can't we all just get along?", it's the same amount of frustration for a puller wanting an equal and FAIR class.

So, I myself have a few questions that should clear things up and will help answer some of the common problems we have when going to any event.

First the rules:
http://www.dhraonline.com/main/forms...ook-v2.7.1.pdf

There, done.

Next, you're using the Ol' Busch Sled correct? I've never hooked with that sled, but most sleds have certain safety measures that have to be met for them to be insured. So...
  • Will you require drivers to have a helmet?
  • Will you require drivers to wear a fire jacket and/or suit?
  • Will you require an air shutoff?

Next, are the safety related items that most first time pullers won't have. Things such as; Drive shaft loops, Upward exhaust, Cross bolts in exhaust & Fire extinguisher
  • Will you allow these things to "slide" for a first time puller?

Next, the all too famous P-pump rule, you know it and you love it... Ag governor vs. automotive governor.
  • Will you allow an Agricultural style governor in the Street Diesel class?

Next as a reminder, chances are you will have people show up with trucks on trailers, which is fine, but per your DHRA rules...

The Street Diesel (SD) class is designed for streetable pickup trucks (full-bodied diesel pickup trucks). Valid DOT registration and license plates are mandatory. The vehicle must be four-wheel drive.
So...
  • Will you allow trucks w/o tags to pull in the street diesel class?

And finally to address HOOKED's question regarding the 4500 rpm rule.

The engine must be governed to a maximum of 4500 RPM, measured in the unloaded, free-rev state. The burden of proof of legal RPM lies with the puller. The use of a verification method, such as electronic recall tachometer, data logger or laser tachometer, is strongly recommended. A puller who cannot provide such evidence upon request will forfeit winnings and is subject to proof of RPM compliance before being allowed to participate in future sled pulls.
Looks like unless you can prove to tech that you indeed did not turn over 4500, no monies right?

If you could clarify these things for us pullers, I'd say you should be good to go...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM

ya it would be nice if the questions that Satburn asked, be answered.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Satburn, your a book waiting to be opened sometimes thanks.
1st; question covered
2nd; question no helmet,no jacket,no shut off,no problem.
3rd; question, as with all pull no not a must for first time pullers,But strongly suggested. I would like everyone to try and be as safe as they can
4th; question. **** good question. is it fair? not really. Should it be allowed? not really.Can I really stop it? Hard to.
5th; question.If you think tags will be any question!! Pull your tags off your tow rig and hook to the sled, thats the best way around it, if that passes tech no problem.
6th; question Your right Satburn!! (No Monies)
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 PM

Satburn, your a book waiting to be opened sometimes thanks.
1st; question covered
2nd; question no helmet,no jacket,no shut off,no problem.
3rd; question, as with all pull no not a must for first time pullers,But strongly suggested. I would like everyone to try and be as safe as they can
4th; question. **** good question. is it fair? not really. Should it be allowed? not really.Can I really stop it? Hard to.
5th; question.If you think tags will be any question!! Pull your tags off your tow rig and hook to the sled, thats the best way around it, if that passes tech no problem.
6th; question Your right Satburn!! (No Monies)
LOL, thorough ain't I? I've just seen enough people get mad over this same ol' stuff that I pretty much know ahead of time what you're going to have troubles with. I'm just trying to help you take care of a lot of stuff upfront instead of "day of".

The 4th question I need a little more clarification, you left it a little vague yet.... sorry man. Yes it can be stopped if you choose. Those two governors are visually different and once you know what to look for it can be easily identified. But it's your choice. Your response seems to suggest that you are going to allow them. So is it yes or no?

The 5th question seems to suggest as long as you make an attempt you are ok. The DOT registration is going to be hard to swap from the tow rig, but as long as it has plates, you're good to go? Is that correct?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 PM

The govs can definately be determined. Also, if you know what the engines are and if you know what you are doing you can definately tell if they are running to high of RPMs. I grew up learning rpms from engine sound.... Cheaters hated me..... I made that fact perfectly clear back east at the pulls..... And I was right every time!

Quick Reply: Diesel Trucks Wanted Sled Pull Near Houston Mo