Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

auto or manual for a drag race?? duh

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MAX707
I haven't had my hanshaker timed yet, but I guarantee you with my mods I'll run at least 12.5 sec 1/4. Shifting is always slower, but if your good at shifting and you have a race clutch that let's you start from 3rd you'll loose about 1 sec maybe a couple more tenths to that Automatic!
Do you mean to tell me here that a 6 speed is faster than an automatic?? Not hardly. They can be fast, but for the same power, a built auto will always win.

Eric
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Now this is a good, civilized discussion about each of our respective driving styles!! Thanks Guys!

I would love to see a hand shaker make it to the 12's...I just think that would be awesome to see! Heck, All I'm shooting for is a 12.0 with my Auto, but I'll be weighing near 7500lbs

All in all, a manual is more fun to rag on, but the built auto WILL be faster with the same BOMB's and the same weight! Lets make a paddle shift manual that can handle the torque, then we'll see

Chris
Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 PM

After all of this I'd love to see what I can turn once I get the new 6speed and DD in my truck. 550hp I bet i might make 18s! since I'm afraid of breaking things so I wont slam gears like I could and i wont launch in 4x4 lol.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM

With the light regular cab you have, I think you'll be a bit better than 18's

Probably around a 15 if you don't leave with any boost!
Chris
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
I remember how surprised DTR Member "RC ***"
was when he saw Johnner hit the 12's in it at Beech Bend Dragway, in Kentucky this past summer at the "T&S Performance Open House and Rally."

John_P
Are y'all headed to BeechBend again this year? I'm looking forward to meeting more of the DTR folk like in Atlanta '06.

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY6.6
The fastest 6 speed Dmax I know is 13.14 @ 102mph. He has a regular cab and runs 265/75/R16s like me. He runs a SBC Dual Disk Ceramic. His race weight is a shade under 6000lbs. I went the time in my sig at Thompson, Oh. So does that offer extend to me? To get my truck in the 12s I figure it will take about 100 rwhp than I have now.
<snip>

I could spray my truck but I am a Sledpuller and proud to say I am Drug Free!
Yeah that offer stands for you too!! I'll post here the next time we head to National Trails or MCIR. It would be a great break-in for your new engine!!!

I'm a drag racer and a bit of a bottle baby now.

brnadon.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
Are y'all headed to BeechBend again this year? I'm looking forward to meeting more of the DTR folk like in Atlanta '06.

Yeah that offer stands for you too!! I'll post here the next time we head to National Trails or MCIR. It would be a great break-in for your new engine!!!

brnadon.
Good thing I'll have a tranny by the time racing season starts Now air could be another issue

Chris
Old 01-02-2007, 03:43 PM

For whatever reason the Haisley Street Drag DD seems to shift way faster than a South Bend DD.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM

How do I always get drug into these maunal debates.... lol

On all my runs at the drag strip I leave the line in 2nd gear with the motor up on the governer. With my twins I make somewhere around 7-8 psi boost by free revving the motor with the clutch disengaged. While I have done boosted 2nd and 3rd gear launches on the street (by slipping the clutch while standing on the brake) I have not done it at the track. FWIW, I think a 3rd gear launch is absolute murder on the clutch. The 12.68 @ 110 run has come using all the mods in my sig except the GDP traction bars. The main problem I have run into now is getting off the line without spinning all 4 tires and thus killing my 60' time. I have only 2 12.6X timeslips, a few 12.7X, and a pile of 12.8X and 12.9X slips because of the spinning off the line. I'm really anxious to get back to try the traction bars, but I just haven't been able to yet

Max,

I think with all those mods that a 12 second run is definitely possible. I think you too will find that getting off the line is the biggest challenge to the whole run... shifting fast from there on out is just repetition. If you don't get it the first time out definitely keep trying and tuning, and you'll get there.

Brandon,

I really want to get back to Dennis' get together this year. As long as the schedule works out I'm sure we'll be there. It was a blast last year!

John
Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM

I was thinking about 4th gear launches.. that cant be bad at all right? lol
Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM

4th gear is 1:1 in a 5 speed. I really don't think it will pull out of the hole... probably just sit there and burn the clutch down after you drop the pedal.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by joefarmer

brnadon.
Cool! I been to National Trails before. I think it was in '98 Buick Nationals. I used to race a Grand National a good bit. Be real cool to some more smokin drag trucks!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by GLHS
For whatever reason the Haisley Street Drag DD seems to shift way faster than a South Bend DD.
Haisley use a straped centerplate setup right? Southbend uses a floating centerplate. The new spring hub setup has straps I see.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Brandon:

As "banshee" already said, I am sure we will both be there @ Beech Bend like we were last year. Dennis Perry puts on a great event there!

---------
Johnner:

Thanks for posting buddy! BTW,....I messed up on what gear you leave in from the line but "corrected" my mistake!

-------
John_P
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY6.6
Haisley use a straped centerplate setup right? Southbend uses a floating centerplate. The new spring hub setup has straps I see.
the new spring hub? is that on a southbend?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I swap the 295/16s on for racing, I hold the rpm at 2K while loading the drivetrain - then matt the skinny pedal and step off the clutch simultaneously.
The ladder bars make a big difference in launching out of the hole, giving noticeably more front end lift and eliminating wheelhop. I'm currently installing a shop-made linelock to eliminate another variable at the line.

I have to say, the G56 shifts very quickly - darn near as fast as the Hurst RamRod/M-21 in the GTO.

Quick Reply: auto or manual for a drag race?? duh