Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

auto or manual for a drag race?? duh

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto or manual for a drag race?? duh

Ok guys Ive been arguing politely with a couple of guys on another site.They are telling me that a manual truck can be made to go as fast or faster in a drag race than a built auto.Am I crazy or are these guys clueless?I mean they are telling me that there are "plenty" of 6 speeds in the 11 second range.I have yet to hear of one.Maybe there is ,I dunno.What I do know is all the trucks in the 10,s nines and better are autos.I explained that it isnt the slow shifting of the driver that slows it down ,its the loss of boost and the greater rpm drop between shifts that is the killer for the sticks.What y'all think?Am i dumb ?I thought high 12's was the fastest Ive seen a 6 speed
Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 PM

Not a drag racer kelowna, but have pulled for many years with a standard and am now driving my first auto, and I would have to take your side in this one. I am not sure about your justification and reasoning, but I could not shift as fast as an auto....Im sure others will chime in shortly!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

Now with gas cars they are faster than autos, but thats because there is no boost to contend with. The second you hit that clutch on a man. you lose all your boost and have to build it up again which will slow the truck down and take off time. With an auto the boost stays up and keeps the truck going fast. Thats how I see it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bosshawg600
Now with gas cars they are faster than autos, but thats because there is no boost to contend with. The second you hit that clutch on a man. you lose all your boost and have to build it up again which will slow the truck down and take off time. With an auto the boost stays up and keeps the truck going fast. Thats how I see it.
No argument here

id say the manual is better suited for towing and pulling, but when im racin the truck, i sure wish i had a bulletproof auto..

Rick
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 PM

Gassers also don't have the big beefy clutches that these trucks do. I know my shifts have slowed quite a bit since I put the dual disc in. Hoping that will go away. If you're looking to drag race, an auto 4x4 is the ticket. Makes me wonder why I bought the truck I did!?!?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 AM

Auto all the way.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:40 AM
Banned

Auto all the way. Your "friends" dont have a clue
Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I would have to agree with you and all of the other DTR Members.

For drag racing, the automatic is going to be faster in a diesel pickup truck!
Every single one of the DHRA/NHDRA Pro-Street Trucks all have automatics.
As far as I know, my son John Jr. who goes by "banshee" here on DTR has one of, if not the fastest Dodge CTD CR 6 speeds and he has posted 1/4 mile times of 12.68 @ 110 MPH! Myself and as well as a good part of the "N.C./VA DTR Crew" all know that John is an "anomaly" as he can shift that truck faster than you would believe!

---------
John_P
Old 11-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Chapter President

One thing about having a 6 speed. If you can lay down good times like John_P's son does that in itself is just as impressing as a heavy diesel truck running in the 12's with an auto.

Maybe there will be a six speed showdown someday. To see who can sling the gears the fastest down the 1/4... My money would be is on the black beast.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bosshawg600
No matter how quickly a person “slams-gears”, he can’t shift faster than an auto.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:38 PM

thanks ill tell these guys what they dont want to hear
Old 11-16-2006, 07:08 PM

Trans-for-matic

i have a '02 HO, 6 spd and though i have not drag raced or pulled but would like to get into it next year as i make upgrades. i'm not totally sat with my trans.. have been thinking of changing it to an auto but with it being computerized, could someone give me some insight on this subject? would have to make big changes or should i just put a heavy duty clutch in it?

Last edited by diesel-freak; 11-16-2006 at 07:16 PM. Reason: adding to it
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Im sorry guys but it seems at least one guy still disagrees.Ive shown them this thread but appearantly he thinks he has the fastest stick in the game.he doesnt list any mods in his sig,and thats well respected.I dunno maybe were both stubborn.I still think Im absolutely right
Old 11-16-2006, 11:44 PM

I have raced both. Both trucks have similary HP (650). The auto truck ran 11.80 and the manual truck ran 14.00. You can't shift a TRUCK transmission faster than an auto. If the words 'powerglide' or lenco don't mean anything to him, it's a lost cause.

brandon.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 AM

Auto!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: auto or manual for a drag race?? duh