Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

auto or manual for a drag race?? duh

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If hes to dumb to figure this one out, then hes crazy. I tell people all the time that autos are faster in a diesel, and they think im crazy. The shifting hurts some itself, but loosing boost on the shifts is what really kills you. There was a 5 or 6spd CTD at the strip last time I went. He was running about a 2 tenths better time than I was, but he also probably had at least 100hp on me. No doubt there are some wicked fast 5 and 6 speed trucks out there, but an auto will ALWAYS be faster HP for HP.

Eric
Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by dieselmania
i have a '02 HO, 6 spd and though i have not drag raced or pulled but would like to get into it next year as i make upgrades. i'm not totally sat with my trans.. have been thinking of changing it to an auto but with it being computerized, could someone give me some insight on this subject? would have to make big changes or should i just put a heavy duty clutch in it?

If you really want an auto, sell your standard and buy an auto.

I was thinking of the same thing not too long ago, but it would be too expensive to convert a standard to auto. So I'll keep mine and get a clutch in the future.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
dieselmania:

I wanted to let you know that "ATS Diesel Performance" makes a "stand-alone" automatic for our trucks that works GREAT! It has it's own computer module to control the shifts etc. It is fully adjustable through a laptop computer to control lock-up speeds, how far apart the tranny shifts to name a few of the things it can do. I have seen it work on Jimmy and Dale's Pro-Street DHRA Drag Truck and I can tell you the unit is impressive!

You can contact ATS Diesel @ 1-800-949-6002 for more info if you are interested or their website is: www.atsdiesel.com.

-------
John_P
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM

The guy knows what a lenco is ,I told him about the keating shelly truck.The guy also says he runs twins on his truck,so hes no stranger to power,but he doesnt tell us his times
Old 11-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your hearing from "dodge boys" as i like to call them. They drive a 16 second truck and think its a 11 second because it can beat their buddies...ive seen it over and over again. I do alot of racing, when im cruising and roll up to a manual that wants to run i just laugh and take his money. I know a guy with a 800HP 12V dually and if i remember right he ran a 16 flat with his truck...his 2wd with a built auto ran a 12.501 with 523HP...bye the way hes selling the high horse manual....
Old 11-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator

acook:

I have already posted that I agree with most here that a diesel truck with an automatic transmission will beat a diesel truck with a manual. However,.....as I also posted over on page #1 my son's 2004 Dodge CTD CR, 4X4 6 speed is FAST for a manual 6-speed. He has consistently posted times in the mid to high twelves, his best time being a 12.68 @ 110 MPH! And this a Dodge CTD CR that still has a STOCK CP-3 and the small Don M. Flux 1 Injectors. We all realize out here in eastern N.C. that he can shift faster than most anyone we have seen. He is also running a Haisley Dual Disc Street/Drag Clutch with the STOCK shifting components. Many members on this website have seen Johnner run this truck at many events across the U.S.

So,.....while it is hard to think that a 6-speed can/could do it,.......my son has done it! Maybe the next time we come out to Colorado we could get up with you while "cruising" somewhere and show you how this truck will run from a roll!

---------
John_P
Old 11-19-2006, 01:48 AM

Some of these guys on the other site didnt even know about haisley.They said "what is haisley screw them,ive never even heard of it" .Goes to show you some of these guys who run their mouth and do no research.I told one guy that the real pulling clutches cant even shift past 2000 rpms and they said they must be for semi trucks
Old 11-19-2006, 03:02 AM

Jeff Prince ran a 11.0 with a 5sp dually quite sometime ago. Might be in the 10's now. I know it's still not faster than an auto but it's still very impressive.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Sea Bass:

Your right, Jeff Prince also has a FAST manual! I have seen that truck run too most recently at Dennis Perry's (T&S Performnces') Rally this summer.
That truck of his has been running quick like that for quite some time now.

Thanks for adding that to the thread.

--------
John_P
Old 11-19-2006, 11:04 AM

I seen that truck too,white and red? Yeah its fast
Old 11-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Banned

Ok ok, from my experience and common sense, any turbocharged vehicle is going to be faster in an auto than manual because, as stated before, when you clutch to shift your engine looses the load causing a loss of boost. Heck, from a stop I have fun keeping with gassers, but let me catch you in 3rd and your toast! (by you i don't mean yall) From a stop a manual is sol, no matter how fast you can shift, but from 3rd up they have a descent chance(at least my 5spd). BTW, that guy must have had problems running 16's with 800hp because, although i haven't had the chance to find out, i'm confident my 450hp 12v 5spd on 40's is running at least a 16.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM

i wont even bother racing guys with standards unless they have at least a hundred ponies on me, not from a stop at least. I know there are lots out there but not around my crib. Then again its still prolly not very fair because i think i have one of the few CTDS thats weighs less than 5,900 pounds with full fuel and me in it.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 AM

PackMule ran a 13.41 with a stock Megacab 4X4 running a Crazy Larry and a pressure box with a stock clutch. He also shifts pretty good for an Arkie.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
but when im racin the truck, i sure wish i had a bulletproof auto..

Rick

Most definitely!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

even as fast as i shift i know that if i had an auto in my truck it would be faster. but auto's are just no fun to drive. ill keep my hand shaker.

Quick Reply: auto or manual for a drag race?? duh