Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Another sled pulling, how its done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another sled pulling, how its done?

Ive been to a few pulls and I love them but I was wondering a few things. I figured there was a mix between autos and manuals between serious pullers but its off the line that I dont understand. What is going on when they are sitting there before they pull. Obviously I figured that they are building boost but they slowly start to rev it up and it slowly gets higher and higher untill all at one it starts to pour pitch black smoke, about two or three seconds later they go. I heard some people say they are trying to get it hotter which I dont understand. How does an auto handle that? And why does the smoke come from no where.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much like in drag racing most of the race is won in the first 60ft. Most of it is about the launch. The faster you can take off and get that sled moving before the weight comes up, the more momentum you'll have and be able to carry your speed down the track. What you're seeing is much like a trans brake in a drag car. These guys are spooling up so that when they launch the can take off as fast as possible.

Just like with anything, there are 47329807 different ways to do it and everybody's way is the best. Some people launch slow, get it rolling then go 100%. Some people sit there and spool and spool, then dump the clutch and go. It all depends on track and what that person feels is best for them, their truck and the conditions.

A lot of these trucks are purpose built. They run best wide open and on full boost. Between timing and fueling levels required to get to that level of power, they are going to roll coal, especially when the turbo hasn't "lit" yet. Until the turbo lights, there's a lot of fuel for that motor to burn, so you get a lot of smoke.

A stock auto doesn't handle it at all. You need a good stout auto, clutching and a torque converter to really handle it all. And as you'll see on the replies after mine, there are other schools of thought on the "hows and whys". HTH.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Chris,
Generally speaking when people are at the line they are getting all their ducks in a row so to speak. I usually check and make sure everything is ready and it takes some time (ie 4hi range, right gear, steering wheel straight, chain tensioned to truck).

I think what you are talking about is the ramp up part before the truck starts to pull.
Usually a manual puller will ramp up the rpm's to the desired rate which they like to "come out" at. For me its about 3600rpm +/- so I usually bring the rpm's somewhat slowly to get the clyinders warmed up. This is done with the clutch pedal depressed since I am already in gear. Once I am at the desired RPM to launch I start to let the clutch out and I continuously watch the rpm's to make sure I am keeping them at redline while engaging the clutch.
At the point I start to release the clutch then the truck will start to blow black smoke since the engine is starting to work and add fuel to the mix under load. As I keep releasing the clutch I start to feel the tires move and kind of do a quick assessment of how heavy the sled and track are. If I feel a big load I slip the clutch longer to keep the rpm's up and the turbo lit.
If the sled feels light and the track is loose then I come off the clutch pedal easier and let the dirt fly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Like satburn says everyones way is the best way. But I have seen many pullers who have trouble pulling because they dont have a clue how to drive.
I was lucky enough to have someone walk me through how to pull about 4 years back. I have followed his advice since then but have learned a whole bunch along the way.

I think I do pretty well with launches but I firmly believe my pulling buddy Bryan Prewitt drives better than I do!

Check the video's in my signature for examples.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:00 PM

How would you come out with an auto, just boost it a hair and as you feel out the track and sled, then give it enough fuel to keep tires from spining?

BTW if you were to come around here , you would clean up with all these fords
Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 PM

With the auto's that pull on a regular basis usually have a high stall converter that is less efficient that what most hot rod diesels run on the street.
They kind of do the same thing by holding the brake and building power and letting the sled start to roll without losing power/rpm's.

Maybe an auto puller will chime in....
Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Once I am at the desired RPM to launch I start to let the clutch out and I continuously watch the rpm's to make sure I am keeping them at redline while engaging the clutch.
At the point I start to release the clutch then the truck will start to blow black smoke since the engine is starting to work and add fuel to the mix under load. As I keep releasing the clutch I start to feel the tires move and kind of do a quick assessment of how heavy the sled and track are. If I feel a big load I slip the clutch longer to keep the rpm's up and the turbo lit.
If the sled feels light and the track is loose then I come off the clutch pedal easier and let the dirt fly.

Very well put...

So much of this is a game of "feel" and it takes several times and different tracks to get yourself trained to what Pourin is talking about (heck I'm not there yet). When he says "quick assessment" he's being a bit humble, it's very quick. But pay attention to that part I quoted, he's dead on.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 PM

I don't have my tranny built yet. I'm definately going dtt with billet flexplate, input , output shafts. I'm up in the air about the converter though Do i go single or triple. Around here ,becuase it's so heavily dominated by fords, they make the dodge's pull after the fords and make the sled wieght come up diferent. fordguys say cummins has an u8nfair advantage I tell no we don't you just have an inferior engine!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Pulling with a auto is much like drag racing. I get the rpm as high as I can, and try to get the charger where it lit before I ever leave the line. But there is a fine line there. To low of rpms= wasted amount of feet getting the charger lit, hence not gaining speed. To much boost will equal broken shafts, or, on a wet track, spinning the tires like mad and really not getting the speed for the long end. I try to fine that medium when pulling my auto, getting the motor on top as quick as I can, but not wasting the power blowing the tires off and going nowhere. I think the start is just as important with a auto b/c i can depend on wether you can grab that extra gear or not, or can lock the convertor and gain speed quicker. Hopefully this helps ya out.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by oil_burner
I don't have my tranny built yet. I'm definately going dtt with billet flexplate, input , output shafts. I'm up in the air about the converter though Do i go single or triple. Around here ,becuase it's so heavily dominated by fords, they make the dodge's pull after the fords and make the sled wieght come up diferent. fordguys say cummins has an u8nfair advantage I tell no we don't you just have an inferior engine!
Even though you are going with a DTT tranny I really advise you check out a special pulling converter that can be had through www.haisleymachine.com
Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 PM

With my auto, what i generally do is basically power brake it while hooked to the sled. Stand on the brake start bringing the RPM's up slowly then my tq convertor will kinda hang out at about 1900-2k rpms for a second as the turbo starts to lite then as boost press comes up i keep holding it as much as i can then when the is really starting to pull against the brakes/sled, i let off of them and hold the fuel about constant til the truck hooks up and starts to roll, then it is just a steady quick roll on the pedal the rest of the way to the floor. That has worked for me.

Just my $.02
Old 03-26-2007, 03:03 PM

thanks pourin' , that haisly site now has me thinking just buy a 1st gen as a fulltime play/pullin' truck. don't get me wrong a good dragrace is fun but hooking up to a sled is where you see the real power is made ,to me anyway. Dtt was my choise only becuase I have a local builder who really is on the cutting edge of the CR stuff and his trannys hold up without a doubt. We were talking about converters fri nite . still up in the air . I'm gonna make a few calls tomorrow to copanys who specialize in the pulling market.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM

Thanks for all info guys. I wish I'd bought a 6 speed instead of auto.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 PM

I'm enjoying eavesdropping on this forum...I've pulled 3 times with my old 12 valve that was pretty much bone stock...

you guys are forgetting to mention the one really important key to pulling...POWER ...I was stuck in a position of not having enough power for a decent gear so I had to launch in a low gear and creep to a last plave finish...but it was still a good time
Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by CTDYoungGun
I'm enjoying eavesdropping on this forum...I've pulled 3 times with my old 12 valve that was pretty much bone stock...

you guys are forgetting to mention the one really important key to pulling...POWER ...I was stuck in a position of not having enough power for a decent gear so I had to launch in a low gear and creep to a last plave finish...but it was still a good time

Power? You mean torque, horsepower and stuff? Nah, if you have enough stickers you'll be fine. Also, a big wing on the back for more down force helps too...
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 AM

Ive only pulled my truck about 5-6 times but ive followed pretty much the same routine everytime and its worked well for me so far. Heres what i do.

Pull on to the track in 4 low with the gear selector in 1st. I prefer to shift it manually so i wind the rpms up a little higher in 1st. After I tighten the chain and get the get the green flag I hold the brake down tight, and roll into the throttle a little bit. Since im running a small charger theres not much need for me to sit there and build a bunch of boost. I usually build about 10psi and let it go. My charger lights around 12-15psi so it doesnt take long to get fully spooled after I let off the brake. I leave it in first until about 3600rpm then shift to 2nd and lock the converter. I finish out the pull like this and unlock the converter right when i quit moving. Then try to let out of the throttle fairly easy to avoid barking the turbo real hard.

Quick Reply: Another sled pulling, how its done?