Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Tag axle questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To your initial idea. heres a single axle with a small sleeper thats forsale very near to my house. I'm fairly sure you can buy a dedicated tag axle assembly new with suspension. to push the frame and add a tag doesn't actually seem like that much more work. but doesn't help the wheel base with any sort of sleeper on it.

My personal prefernce would be to find an older cabover daycab and do your modifications to that. but I'm really partial to COEs. specially older ones.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Muted User

I've got a daycab with a dead axle. Works great for what we used it for but its completely worthless in the snow and will spin the tires on a dry day because it's so light. If I was to order a new one it would definately be liftable and I would put the drive axle in the rear but whoever ordered this one wanted it in the front.

Here's pics so you can see how KW mounted it from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails Tag axle questions-img_0883-copy.jpg   Tag axle questions-img_0881copy.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Luke(1-5-3-6-2-4), what do you know about that Pete? You're right about the sleeper adding wheel base, but Momma Bear likes to nap when we drive. Oh no, now look where this is going I looked at a day cab recently, with a 30"? sleeper on the frame, not finished yet. Setup was air cab, with a solid mount under the sleeper, so I walked on that one. JFaulckner, I like the looks of the super singles on the KW, but I'm not sure for my use. Thanks to everyone for the ideas, and eye-openers.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 PM

theres a small trucking co in town that runs a few trucks. that green pete is theirs. and the forsale sign on it is new. i didn't actually read the sign for info though. looks kind of rough, but I just drive by it. I'm not sure what your bugeting for the unit but theres recently in the last week a much newer nicer volvo with an ISM cummins on the higway just on the edge of town.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 AM

I agree, that Volvo looks a lot cleaner/nicer. I've read that the Volvos are the way to go, with a better wheel cut helping keep turning circle down. I don't have much experience with a smaller unit, the last truck I was banging gears in was a tandem/tri-drive. I got out of trucking when family came into picture I'm not even sure of a budget, as I'm feeling out the build, pricing ideas as they hit me. Got a nice trailer, with a 3500 MegaCab for pulling, but it would be nice to have a second vehicle sometimes. That lead me to Escapees.com, and the HDT section. That induced drooling like Pavlov and his bell. We're also looking to spend more time traveling, and these rigs, with bigger brakes, stronger drivelines, etc. are getting about the same fuel mileage. Kinda (probably) just dreaming, as I like to tinker/mod.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 PM

from today. pusher drop axle.