Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Need info on N14

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on N14

I sort of fell into what I believe was a very good deal on a 2000 freightliner with 600k miles, a 10 speed manual (Don't know the make yet), and a cummins N14. It is currently set up as a 18 foot box truck but the box more closely resembles an RV than a normal box. It has windows, a rear entry door and access through the cab. We are going to be building it into an RV.

So I am looking for info on the N14. This is my first HD truck and first diesel. I consider myself very mechanically inclined and I have a pretty working knowledge of diesels, just never owned one before. Obviously I'm hoping not to have to do anything on this. I'm just looking for some general operating info on the N14 or get pointed to a good place to do some reading. I have read some info on them and they sound like a very solid engine. One immediate concern is cold weather starts. I am having some trouble finding info on when this will need to be plugged in. I'm also trying to find information on routine maintenance and things to watch out for with these. It seems that finding information on these is a lot different than passenger vehicles and trucks that I am used to.

All and all I'm very excited about this project and to own my first cummins / diesel. Here's a picture.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice looking rig! Someone put some time and thought into that.

Any chance of some interior pics?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM

I'll get some today, when we got home yesterday it was already getting dark. It is not to exciting inside as its pretty empty. The previous owner was a friend and I do not think money was much of a concern for him. He definitely put a lot into and built a solid rig its a great base for what we want to do!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice rig, a little overkill for camping but what the heck, go big or go home..

Overall the N14 in my opinion is the best engine ever made by Cummins. Fairly easy to work on, parts are readily available and they are very durable and long lasting.

Best of luck on the conversion.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Just curious how the cab was made rigid to accommodate the box?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM

I put over 1 million miles on a N-14 motor huling 11,600 gallons of gas grossing 105,500 lbs. Motor had been trouble free until 800,000 miles developed a water leak which flooded #6 cylinder. Had it inframed & to date it has another 300,000 miles on it. Just change the oil & filters & grease it every 15K miles & it will last you a long time.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM

^ that's good to here. What kind of oil and filters do you run?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I find it quite funny when your talking 11600 gals to hall as a retired bargeman thats not enough as heal so use to pumping 1.2 million a weekly bases. And all the time I drove truck only hauled a tanker four times mostly lowbed but the engine of choice was KTA 600 Cummings
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Well a 105,500lb load sounds hilarious to me. Not used to these kind of rididculous numbers. I'm used to passenger cars and trucks where your wondering if it s fine to haul a couple tons!

BTW should this thing be running all four batteries? I'm kind of confused because it has two sets of two connected in parallel in the box and then it looks like each set has separate cables running up to the engine as well as separate trickle chargers for each set. The previous owner had the one set unhooked and taped over the vehicle side of the terminals, so It was only running on two when we drove it home. He told us when we got it that he thought one or two were dead. The two that weren't hooked up are completely dead and its looking like they don't want to charge. From what I have read the starter is 24v and in that case I would think that it would def need all four to get 24v with the way these appear to be wired in the battery box
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
... the engine of choice was KTA 600 Cummings
There's no 'g' in Cummins.

You're welcome!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mcurcio1989
Well a 105,500lb load sounds hilarious to me. Not used to these kind of rididculous numbers. I'm used to passenger cars and trucks where your wondering if it s fine to haul a couple tons!

BTW should this thing be running all four batteries? I'm kind of confused because it has two sets of two connected in parallel in the box and then it looks like each set has separate cables running up to the engine as well as separate trickle chargers for each set. The previous owner had the one set unhooked and taped over the vehicle side of the terminals, so It was only running on two when we drove it home. He told us when we got it that he thought one or two were dead. The two that weren't hooked up are completely dead and its looking like they don't want to charge. From what I have read the starter is 24v and in that case I would think that it would def need all four to get 24v with the way these appear to be wired in the battery box
Unless they did some kind of mods to the electrical system the starter should be 12v. 4 batteries is the norm on class 8 trucks, that engine draws hundreds of amps starting plus lots of lights and options.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM

^Okay well that makes more sense cause i really couldn't see how the wiring would give 24v. Fortunately Napa is running a deal on these batteries $85 a pop, its a steal!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mcurcio1989
^ that's good to here. What kind of oil and filters do you run?
Delo 400 15/40 fleetguard filters. I only run 3 battieries & it is a 12v system.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 AM

They'll run on 2, but it's good to have the extra capacity. I think you'll find that they just run 2 cables to the starter instead of one for more carrying capacity.

Must have a rubber boot from the cab to box?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM

I looked around and the cab is mounted on steel so it doesn't move and then there is a rubber boot going between the cab and box. From what I have read this is kind of the norm for this kind of setup. We plan to open the door up quite a bit tho. Currently it is about 30" by 60." I'd like it to be as big as we can make it to open things up. For now tho were really focused on getting our legal requirements as an RV so that we can get it mobile. Its a pain trying to do work at a storage unit without electricity.

Quick Reply: Need info on N14