Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Kenworth fuel line question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kenworth fuel line question

the return line back to the tank started leaking slightly in the 98 in my sig, when i started following the line back to the tank I got confused as to why kenworth would run both the suction and return lines from the drivers side of the engine across the top of the bellhousing, under the exhaust just behind the turbo and back along the top of the passengers side frame rail just to go back to the crossmember at the back of the trans to go to a set of connections there halfway between the two frame rails instead of just simply running it away from the heat of the engine and exhaust and going straight back on the drivers side and across the crossmember to tie into the connections.....

my question is this, would I gain or lose anything in performance or reliability routing the lines away from the sources of heat?

I realize this may have been done to keep fuel warm enough to flow good at -40 but the truck doesnt really move enough at that temp that I cant just dump some anti gel in it to counteract the lower ambient temps away from the engine and exhaust

unlesss there is a good reason to leave the lines where they are I'm planning on moving the lines to the drivers side and simplifying any further removal issues

Thanks for any input guys

If you want pictures just ask
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can reroute the lines no problem at all. The connections mounted to the crossmember are actually valves designed to draw and return fuel equally from both tanks. I have done exactly what you want to do, you may want to purchase the return flow splitter that the lines couple to on the crossmember prior to doing the job. They are aluminum and pit badly with age.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Any date?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Sorry, I started cutting silage the day i got my hoses swapped out and things got busy, we swapped the suction and return lines out and ran them both down the drivers side frame rail, its way easier to go that route and secure them on that side than trying to fish them back through the factory maze would have been, fuel temps in the tank are still what I would call really high when its been running all day but theres not much i can do about that I guess. haha
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Yeah high return fuel temps are normal. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Fuel temps are high, you could put a tranny cooler or similar in the return line to the tank. Should help take a few ° out of the fuel.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 PM

I've thought of putting a cooler of some sort into it to help with the high temps, but that will now be a next summer project as I like the warmer fuel temps in the winter haha

I have a empty gauge hole in the dash and a spare oil temp gauge so i was thinking of plumbing a sender into the fuel return to get a good baseline prior to installing the cooler when i have time in june or early july
Old 02-15-2024, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rerouting the fuel lines on your Kenworth for better efficiency seems like a sensible decision. Hvytrkmech's advice to relocate them and use a return flow splitter for balanced fuel draw makes sense. It's reassuring to see fellow community members offering practical solutions.

2006BLKMegacab's update about swapping the lines to the driver's side frame rail confirms the ease of this modification. While high fuel temperatures remain a concern, Lil Dog's suggestion of adding a cooler to the return line offers a potential solution, especially for warmer climates.

Overall, this exchange demonstrates the value of community support and shared experiences in troubleshooting and improving vehicle performance.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely, rerouting the fuel lines on my Kenworth was a game-changer for me. Following Hvytrkmech's advice, I went ahead and moved them to the driver's side frame rail and noticed it wasn't just easier during the install, but it's going to make any future maintenance a breeze compared to the original setup. The idea of adding a cooler to the return line, as Lil Dog suggested, sounds like a solid plan to tackle the high fuel temp issue, especially during the hotter months. I'm actually considering installing a temp gauge for the fuel return line to get a baseline before adding the cooler next summer. Appreciate all the insights from you guys!