Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

ISC Cummins with DPF

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISC Cummins with DPF

Just wondering if anybody has one of these new engines. I have an '08 Freightliner M2 Business class with a 285 isc. This thing really sucks big time. It is forever doing a regen. I was on a 400 mile run today and it did it 4 times. Try driving that thing in traffic while its in regen, hard to shift, bucking, shaking, back firing, and the odor takes your breath.
I do mostly highway driving at 68-70 mph, the problem is nobody can seem to figure it out and I'm getting cranky about the whole thing.
There is also many other issues with check engine lights, white smoke from time to time, etc.
P.S. the engine doesn't consume any oil to speak of, 1 quart in 10,000 miles and has only 50,000 miles on the clock.
Any feed back would be greatly welcome as I am about to start a war with Cummins and or Freightliner.
Thanks..
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM

sell it and get an older truck
Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 PM

MBE900 in the M2s is way better.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 PM

If life were like that and that easy, out with the old and in with the new. We tried to get the MBE not sure the # but a 300 hp. They stopped selling that engine as they were having durability issues. I guess the engine was skuffing the cylinders or piston skirts. Cat stopped supplying engines for that series, I don't think its an engine problem just management problems.
I was talking with an International owner yesterday who is also having trouble. Dam the tree huggers!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:49 PM

No durability issues in my shop. theres very little MBE900 warrantee work in any chassis here. we do more MBE4000 warrantee work than 900, but that might be just because there are more 4000s on the road. I don't know.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 PM

The 900 isnt alot better, used to sell alot of them in M2's. Our shop has done alot of egr coolers, which wrecks the egr valve. More than enough turbos, hand full of engines. Not all in the same type of work either, from hiway to delivery to oil patch to rv's. Sales people gave up selling it, just order the cummins for the M2's. Got to see a twin turbo 07+ engine @ a training center, not sure what they were thinking with the mess.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by old 300
Just wondering if anybody has one of these new engines. I have an '08 Freightliner M2 Business class with a 285 isc. This thing really sucks big time. It is forever doing a regen. I was on a 400 mile run today and it did it 4 times. Try driving that thing in traffic while its in regen, hard to shift, bucking, shaking, back firing, and the odor takes your breath.
I do mostly highway driving at 68-70 mph, the problem is nobody can seem to figure it out and I'm getting cranky about the whole thing.
There is also many other issues with check engine lights, white smoke from time to time, etc.
P.S. the engine doesn't consume any oil to speak of, 1 quart in 10,000 miles and has only 50,000 miles on the clock.
Any feed back would be greatly welcome as I am about to start a war with Cummins and or Freightliner.
Thanks..
Old 300, call the dealer or Cummins with the last six of your VIN and engine serial number and ask if your engine falls under the Cummins Calibration Campaign. Quite a few new software versions have been released to address a multitude of problems. Also, quite a few M2's were released from the factory that had the "Regen Permit Switch" enabled, when it didnt have a permit switch installed. This, in turn, would not allow the operator to do a manual regen.

Most common failures for the ISC CM2150 at our dealership are the VGT actuator/sector gear seizing on the turbo (R&R with Recon Turbo), DPF Failures (Cummins has released new calibration for DPF failures as well as a more robost substrate material.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks everyone including Monty, I got more info here in the last couple days than 1 1/2 years at the dealer. The truck is going to the dealer after July 1 for a dot inspection and service, I am not going to bring it home till they do something. Again this site is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks..
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Monty
Old 300, call the dealer or Cummins with the last six of your VIN and engine serial number and ask if your engine falls under the Cummins Calibration Campaign. Quite a few new software versions have been released to address a multitude of problems. Also, quite a few M2's were released from the factory that had the "Regen Permit Switch" enabled, when it didnt have a permit switch installed. This, in turn, would not allow the operator to do a manual regen.

Most common failures for the ISC CM2150 at our dealership are the VGT actuator/sector gear seizing on the turbo (R&R with Recon Turbo), DPF Failures (Cummins has released new calibration for DPF failures as well as a more robost substrate material.
You'd be surprised how often calibrations are updated/changed. It's definitely worthwhile to make sure you have the latest. I haven't heard of a campaign for that engine, but I work in heavy duty, and ISC is considered midrange.

JH
Old 07-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Just a quick update, the truck is at the Cummins dealer as I type getting ready for a new turbo in the am. The computer was showing 89% while doing a regen. When the regen was complete there was a loud bark from the intake that sent a couple techs. running. Needless to say it failed something and the computer failed the turbo. Thanks to Monty it got me to go to the Cummins dealer to get this checked out. I guess the actuator is stuck and it sounds common. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear they are getting it straightened out. Need anymore help, let me know.