Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Anyone own one, just for having?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya but you do not have to run a log book if you are local and not for hire. But if you cross state lines then you have to have a fuel permit to enter the state.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 PM

the only person exept from air brake endorsements is a farm truck in which anyone who drives for that farm is exempt.in the case of a farm rig you are not required to have a CDL or air brake endorsement.i also believe fire departments are exempt as long as the driver has taken a ERV(emergency response vehicle) course
Old 05-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats in your state here you have to have it each state is different. no log is only good for 150 mile raduis of your operating base. you have to have more then a fuel permit crossing state lines
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

My dad and I have 6 trucks between the two of us. These trucks are not for hire or work, just play. Check your local laws and you will find that you can forego the weigh stations, commercial licenses, DOT cops, log books, permits and all the rest of that garbage with some paperwork. In order to get away from all of that stuff your truck must meet some criteria, such as age of the truck and usage of the truck. Take a look at www.aths.org for more information on the subject. On a side note if you are at all interested in trucks or trucking history the American Truck Historical Society is a great organization to belong to and is well worth looking into.

Paws.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
registering

I am in the same boat with laws and understanding them. I recently purchased a 1972 Brockway K361TL. It has a 8v71 Detroit, with a 13 speed roadranger trans. I'll get a pic up soon. It will only be used in Truck shows. I am stationed in NY with the USCG, and need to get truck home to Texas, Well TX tells me they need to know carrying capacity, tonnage, and weight. Well I got insurance no sweat, but trying to registerthis as non-commercial, is a headache in TX. They cant comprehend why I dont have a maufactures build sheet with the carrying capacity, so I made up a weight of 10 tons, they said it didn't compute.... Their said "like a dually is classified as a one ton" All I want is a simple tag.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitDiesel71
I am in the same boat with laws and understanding them. I recently purchased a 1972 Brockway K361TL. It has a 8v71 Detroit, with a 13 speed roadranger trans. I'll get a pic up soon. It will only be used in Truck shows. I am stationed in NY with the USCG, and need to get truck home to Texas, Well TX tells me they need to know carrying capacity, tonnage, and weight. Well I got insurance no sweat, but trying to registerthis as non-commercial, is a headache in TX. They cant comprehend why I dont have a maufactures build sheet with the carrying capacity, so I made up a weight of 10 tons, they said it didn't compute.... Their said "like a dually is classified as a one ton" All I want is a simple tag.
try a different office. when i bought my last trailer, the place i register everything told me i had to get it inspected, get a weigh slip, apply for a VIN, pay fees blah blah blah.

i went to a different office, paid $5.30, and walked out the front door with my license plates
Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM

I do not know the laws in Texas but I do know that most states have an antique vehicle exemption law. In Washington you just put historical plates on the truck and away you go. In Idaho you simply register the truck as you would a pick up and you can drive it any where. This information is not easy to get out of the state DMV because they want you to pay the money to register the truck as a commercial vehicle. Call the ATHS I believe that they have the antique vehicle exemption forms for every state in the US. Get the form, if there is one for Texas, and take that to your DMV and see what they say, it worked on the Washington DMV but it did take a lot of leg work.

Paws
Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
try a different office. when i bought my last trailer, the place i register everything told me i had to get it inspected, get a weigh slip, apply for a VIN, pay fees blah blah blah.

i went to a different office, paid $5.30, and walked out the front door with my license plates
thats cuz you farm tagged it. watch what you haul with it
Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by rich
thats cuz you farm tagged it. watch what you haul with it
yeah, thats what i've tagged all of mine with. most of what i have is farm stuff (conveniently enough ) with the exception of my jeep (or jeep plus another vehicle.) of course, my jeep will be tagged farm truck here shortly, so that shouldnt be a problem either

from what i understand, the main thing on farm tags is it has to be going to or from the farm and not anything commercial. i havent had any problems over the years (knock on wood) but i dont go out of the state at all, and, like i said most of the hauling is for farm stuff
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM

this subject is discussed indepth in another posting.
Basically we have found that ifyou can gross over 26k in any combination, private, commercial or other you need at least class A.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Paws
I do not know the laws in Texas but I do know that most states have an antique vehicle exemption law. In Washington you just put historical plates on the truck and away you go. In Idaho you simply register the truck as you would a pick up and you can drive it any where. This information is not easy to get out of the state DMV because they want you to pay the money to register the truck as a commercial vehicle. Call the ATHS I believe that they have the antique vehicle exemption forms for every state in the US. Get the form, if there is one for Texas, and take that to your DMV and see what they say, it worked on the Washington DMV but it did take a lot of leg work.

Paws
isnt there usually a milege limit per year to qualify for a historical plates?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM

I've driven a truck for a living on and off for the past ten years (mostly on) I quit driving recently and went back to building powerlines but my last driving job of 2 1/2 years was for a guy who would buy nothing but Peterbilt 379 extended hoods and then dress them to the max. We went to the chrome shop every 6 months and had them completly polished out fuel tanks,wheels,nosecone,battery boxes, air tanks, step boxes, Everything on our trucks shined like a mirror, he wanted us to hit a truck wash once a week and that's not cheap with 8 trucks, that was the best feeling in the world as a driver cruizin up and down the big road in a classy ride and in return we treated our truck as if they were our own making sure the oil changes were done on time, staying on top of general maintenance and keeping the inside spotless as well and giving her a little hand polishing while waiting to load or unload sometimes. Since that job I swore that one day I would get me a early 80's model Pete 359 Ext hood just to have in my yard and restore her (pimp it out for lack of better terms) at my leisure. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer in Nov. of 08 and since then we havent been home much heck I cant even keep up with my yard work any more and any dreams I had are starting to look further and further away but I dont think I'll give up on that truck just yet because even though I dont drive anymore when I see a sharp lookin big truck ridin long and low It still makes me feel good inside and always produces a "DID YOU SEE THAT"! to my wife who then replies "you and those darn trucks"!!!!! she says truckin is a disease that once in your blood is INCURABLE and I think she's right!

BTW: In FL there is no air brake "endorsement" it's just part of the general CDL test

Thanks for letting me rant ya'll I was just a little excited to see that I was not the only one who thought about having one "just because" and also to see a big rig section on DTR.

Clint
Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Hey Clint...I always wanted an older Pete to restore and cruise around in. I had my ex girlfriend a few times call me and tell me about a truck she saw on the highway or parked somewhere. Sorry to hear about your daughter man, hope she is doing okay.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
cruising

Clint, all the best wishes for you and your family while kicking cancer's butt. I'll have to make a pit stop by your place when I run the Brockway to Texas next spring.

Stephen
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM

I use the freightliner to pull an rv. Missouri and most states I have stopped in have required the air break rider. I put not for hire on it and also tow around a box trailer haling stuff around. I came in at 26500 last time on the scale so it liscend for 30k. Missouri and Nebrask has told me not to stop on the scales any more i don't need to since not for hire and pulling my private RV. Wyoming still wants me to stop as i blew by one i thought was closed. They didn't ticket me when they saw not for hire but the wanted me to wieght and said anything over 26k has to weigh. I haven't done my home work on what is what in the states. I go to yellow stone and around missouri with it. I don't have anything about fuel permites or log books. Never been asked for them any way. I'm always under what I am liscended and have something on my registrations done at the DMV that says non commercial vehichle and i keep a copy of my RV registation so they know it is mine and that is all they have ever asked for. Again no expert I just liscenced for more than I weigh and keep both registrations in the truck and stop at every wiegh station i see open. Did one trip to california and never was on a road with an open weigh station but passed a few DOT inspectors drinking coffee in their trucks. never pulled me over. Insurance for truck is 250 ever 6 month for liablity. The maintence and the $170 in saftey inspection and liscening every year is getting nuts. That is why I conveted my ram to pull the RV.

Quick Reply: Anyone own one, just for having?