Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

3208 cat rpm ? for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3208 cat rpm ? for you guys

What is a safe max rpm? My Dad just bought a beer truck (The Silver Bullet) 1975 ford 8000 and I don't want to over-rev it on my 500 mile road trip. Also, what is a ballpark mpg for a n/a 3208 with a roadranger 18 speed? thanks, bruce
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll do 3200, but it's best to keep it under 2800 for extended periods.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 AM

thanks- just got back from a 700 mile trip, and 3000 rpm was 60mph- didn't feel too bad/make me cringe too bad!! I got 7.78mpg with a 20x8x8 box loaded with moving stuff. Down to 35mph on McDonald pass loaded and empty...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Is it turbo'd or NA? Got gauges on it?
Don't do this unless you have an EGT gauge: If you look on the top of the injection pump you'll see a cover with 2 bolts. Take it off. Fuel does come out sometimes, and does not need bleeding afterwards. Under it is a screw with a jamb nut. If you hit the accel. linkage you'll see a little pin come up. The screw stops the pin and thus, limits fuel. So adjust it as far up as you can as long as you can tolerate the black smoke. Most turbo'd 3208's can run fine with the screw all the way out(removed). And just behind that is the high rpm governor adjustment. It's labeled as 'high idle', but only go 2-3 turns at a time as to keep it under 3200 no load. Backing the screw out raises the rpm. One more adjustment is the pre-boost power. This is up in the front of the other 2 adjustments. It's round & has 3 bolts holding it & 6 holes in it. Take all 3 bolts out and you may have to smack it with something to break it loose(mosly from paint). Now tighten it like you're screwing it in tighter, that makes the power come in sooner. If you go 'til it stops, then you may see lots of smoke if you mash down on the pedal. Back it out as needed.
Enjoy...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Southtowns27
Don't do this unless you have an EGT gauge: If you look on the top of the injection pump you'll see a cover with 2 bolts. Take it off. Fuel does come out sometimes, and does not need bleeding afterwards. Under it is a screw with a jamb nut. If you hit the accel. linkage you'll see a little pin come up. The screw stops the pin and thus, limits fuel. So adjust it as far up as you can as long as you can tolerate the black smoke. Most turbo'd 3208's can run fine with the screw all the way out(removed). And just behind that is the high rpm governor adjustment. It's labeled as 'high idle', but only go 2-3 turns at a time as to keep it under 3200 no load. Backing the screw out raises the rpm. One more adjustment is the pre-boost power. This is up in the front of the other 2 adjustments. It's round & has 3 bolts holding it & 6 holes in it. Take all 3 bolts out and you may have to smack it with something to break it loose(mosly from paint). Now tighten it like you're screwing it in tighter, that makes the power come in sooner. If you go 'til it stops, then you may see lots of smoke if you mash down on the pedal. Back it out as needed.
Enjoy...
Wow, alsmost as if I wrote that myself.
I cant link my fuel rate site anymore, but that's the 3208 section, minus the pictures.
The 7.78mpg is really good!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Southtowns27
Enjoy...
Fantastic write up. Had to bite my fingers not to turn up the pump on one of our wildland rigs. Late 70's Ford 4x4 cabover interface (700 gallons w foam!) engine with a 3208T.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 PM

I write it and he gets credit?
freewebs dot com slash nevrenufhp
Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Oh ****! I'm very sorry! Had no idea.

http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by totalloser
Oh ****! I'm very sorry! Had no idea.

http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/
Yeah, it's gonna cost you!
On a serious note, it's real easy to do, and takes about a half hour for a first timer.