3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BHAF Install - Pictures, Details and Prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BHAF Install - Pictures, Details and Prices

I finally got around to installing my BHAF today. I thought the information I'm about to share might be useful to someone else who is considering doing the same thing. I was unable to find any stores near me that sold the parts I needed for prices that I was willing to pay, so below I have shown the places I was able to find with the best online prices. Prices shown do not include shipping.

I should note that these are the parts you would need if you were starting from scratch. If you have already replaced your stock intake tubing with a homemade torque tube then you will already have some of these parts.

Parts
Product: Wix #42790 Air Filter (Duralite) - 1 ea.
Price: $29.41
Source: Fleetfilter.com
Comment: Same Duralite filter that everyone else sells but for less money.

Product: Outerwears Water Resistant Cover
Price: $30.45
Source: Outerwears.com
Comments: You have to call the phone number on their website to place an order.

Product: 4" Polished Aluminum 90 Degree Mandrel Bend - 1 ea.
Price: $26.50
Source: Vecco High Performance, Inc.
Comments: Very thick, high grade aluminum tubing. Much thicker than the stuff at Air Flow Systems.

Product: 4" Polished Aluminum Straight Tubing (16" Section) - 1 ea.
Price: $21.00
Source: Vecco High Performance, Inc.
Comments: Same as above...very high quality stuff.

Product: 4" Rubber 90 Degree Bend - 2 ea.
Price: $14.25 ea.
Source: Air Flow Systems
Comments: This place has tons of stuff but their pricing is a bit on the high side.

Product: 4" Constant Torque Hose Clamps - 5 ea.
Price: $4.44 ea.
Source: Parts Systems
Comments: Good price on what seems to be high quality clamps.

Product: BHAF Mounting Kit - 1 ea.
Price: Contact Source
Source: DTR Member Hilclmr
Comments: Send a PM to Hilclmr for pricing and availability.

Since this is getting long I'll offer comments on the installation in a separate post.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM

Installation

Installation was a bit more involved than I thought it would be.

Let me go ahead and note up front that you will have to trim one end of the rubber 90 degree elbow that connects to the turbo. If you don't the elbow will be rubbing against the oil filter. You cannot see it in any of my pictures, but my elbow is about 1/4" away from the oil filter.

You will need to cut the straight section of 4" intake tubing to be about 8" long. I didn't measure, but the piece I bought was 16" and I roughly cut it in half.

Also, you may have to cut one leg of the 4" aluminum bend to get the angles right. The bend that I bought had 4-5" legs on it and that was too long to go into the BHAF.

First, let me make some comments about the BHAF kit that I bought from DTR member Hilclmr. If you go to his photo gallery you will see how he installed his filter. I think the kit that he fabbed for me was built a little differently than the one in his picture. For the life of me I could NOT get my BHAF installed the same way he has his.

One thing that I found it necessary to do was remove the plastic liner on the sidewall behind the air filter. This was a bit of a pain, but removing it let me slide the BHAF farther back into the fender area so it wasn't sticking out so much. I still could not get it installed exactly as Hilclmr has his though.

Back to Hilclmr's kit, you will notice when you see my pictures that I had to bend the hanger over the top of the fender metal and screw the hanger into the top instead of the side. After trying and trying and trying, this was the only way that I could get the hanger high enough to be able to fit the BHAF into the space where the air box used to be. It worked out better this way though because my BHAF is not touching anything except for the hanger kit that holds it in place. I have heard many folks say that theirs is resting on the alternator or something else. Mine does not touch any of that stuff.

If Hilclmr is still offering them, I highly recommend his kit. The one he sent me included the bracket, the big clamp to go around the filter, two self-tapping screws to mount the bracket and two screws to mount the intake air temp sensor. It didn't exactly fit the way I had pictured it, but I was able to make it work and I am VERY happy with it.

Anyway, my approach to installing the whole system was to assemble the tubing and the filter together loosely, put it all in place and then, when I got everything situated the way I wanted it, tighten all of the clamps up. Installing the bracket kit was the LAST thing I did.

I'll post pictures in the next post once they are approved.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 PM

Pictures

Old 12-22-2005, 10:00 PM

nice set up! i sent you a pm!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 PM

Got your PM and responded. To answer your question, no, the Outerwears cover is not rubbing against anything except for the band clamp that secures the filter.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Hoss!!!

I recently re-did mine....I made myself a tray out of aluminum treadplate that both supports the filter and acts as a splash guard...Right now the filter just rests on it, but doesnt touch anything else...I'm working up a way to secure it....I had to resposition the filter when doing this, which forced me to cut 4" off of the torque tube.....I am still waiting for the local shop to get their new machine in so I can have the Pipe Bomb made.....Patience, patience Whenever I get that done, along with another mod to my tray, I'll post pics of the final install......That and Outerwears
Old 12-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Looks good man. I prefer having more splash protection from the bottom and front but it required a lot more work to make a guard. I have noticed splashed road spray on my outerwear even with the splash guard so I think it was worthwhile.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:36 AM

Hoss you have mail.

Jim
Old 12-24-2005, 09:12 AM

And the seat of the pants feel was?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
Looks good Hoss!!!

I recently re-did mine....I made myself a tray out of aluminum treadplate that both supports the filter and acts as a splash guard...Right now the filter just rests on it, but doesnt touch anything else...I'm working up a way to secure it....I had to resposition the filter when doing this, which forced me to cut 4" off of the torque tube.....I am still waiting for the local shop to get their new machine in so I can have the Pipe Bomb made.....Patience, patience Whenever I get that done, along with another mod to my tray, I'll post pics of the final install......That and Outerwears
Can't wait to see those pics!! Tell the local shop to HURRY UP!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Berak
Looks good man. I prefer having more splash protection from the bottom and front but it required a lot more work to make a guard. I have noticed splashed road spray on my outerwear even with the splash guard so I think it was worthwhile.
I thought about making some sort of splash protection, but for now I'm just going with the Outerwears cover. My stock air filter never got wet even though I had big holes drilled all over the bottom of the air box, so I feel fairly confident that road spray won't really be a problem for me (especially if this drought continues).
Old 12-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by PsRumors
And the seat of the pants feel was?
Just got back from a trip to Houston. There MIGHT be some SOTP feel in there, but the only realy NOTICABLE difference is that the turbo seems to be a bit louder....even at idle.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:04 PM

[/B][QUOTE] I just finished installing a homemade Torque Tube on my 03 Dodge diesel. Cost was $34. YES!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 PM

If you are looking for a High flow Paper Element (pricey) For Marine Applications, use AH19004 I think spec saz 900 CFM I would suggest using a Prefilter outer wears perhaps

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/cat...&currentPage=1