ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Where To Get Headstuds Installed In Alberta???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where To Get Headstuds Installed In Alberta???

Hi guys. Was just wondering where the best place to get some head studs installed in Alberta? Any ideas??
Old 02-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Jamie, do it yourself,, not too tough to do... if you were closer I would give you a hand

Kevin
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM

I just don't know which way to go about it...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
The Guru

Its easy, just try buddy. Just remove one bolt at a time, install one stud. Follow the dodge manual Re-torque back up to 135 ft*lbs. Beat on till she blows. Get the head o-ringed, forget about it. Use the ARP lube on the studs. I tighten up the stud until its tight, people just hand tighten them. I don't like them moving on me. If they do, just back off the nut, and try again. Sooner or later you gonna have to mod that ride buddy.
At 135 ft*lbs, its way better than factory. You off warranty yet?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 AM

My brother tried getting a few places in Red Deer to do it and nobody really wanted to tackle it so I ended up doing them. Just did what Mike said quite easy but does take some time and alittle hard on the gut. There was a guy in Rocky that was willing to do it cant remember the company but some diesel performance guy, said he would do it for about 2Hr of labour which isn't bad but I would rather take my time then just hammering them in. I would wait and do it when you are changing the injectors out though, so you only need to take the rockers off once. Got your Flux's coming yet??
Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 AM

I have a set of super clean 06 injectors that I'm gonna send away soon to be made into flux 1.8's. Like Mike said, I should do them 1 at a time but I wonder where to start???
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 AM

Go see Garth in Rocky Jamie (Full Throttle Diesel Performance).He knows his way around a Cummins thats for sure.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 AM
The Guru

Try this. Its not for a CR motor, but the head torque pattern should be the same.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
at least 2003 Dodge Ram Cummins service manual uses that same picture what Mike Holmen posted. Even tough it is for the 1998.5-2002 24valve Cummins head.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Thats the picture that I use,, has worked so far

Kevin
Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
The Guru

Jamie, have you bought the studs already? The cheapest place I found to get ARP's was mopac in Calgary. Give it a try buddy. What you got to loose beside getting a couple skinned knuckles. Your truck would be fun, as you got the lift and those big bad wheel on. Thats the only thing I don't like about lift trucks, its a pain to work on the motor, everything else is great. When you putting on the second injection pump buddy. You can't let Kev, be the only one to pull the big numbers on the dyno. There is a few plugs in the firewall you'll have to pull out to get in the studs. You might have to trim the valve cover some as well. Some guys put on paint lines on the stud, to see if the stud still moves as you torque up the stud. You can feel when the stud moves, so I never done that. Details, details...nothing serious though.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...s-springs.html

Here is one of the articles I went by and the torque sequence is the same as what Mike posted. The barring tool would be very useful, and the injector harness cover need alittle massaging with the dermal but nothing else to serious. Your arn't afraid to open up the 07 are you Jamie? I know you would have had them done on your 01 by now.

We got my brothers apart right now if you wanna come take alook putting in some flux's, springs and bypass kit.

My old man has a decent torque wrench if you wanna hand I am usually around.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have studs and F1 valve springs ready to go on & will do them myself.

As others mentioned, & as that Cumminsforum thread shows, it's not hard, just time consuming.

My plan is to do studs, valve springs & injector/nozzles all at the same time. Pull the top end of the engine apart just once.

I still have to purchase the nozzles.
DDP or F1 50HP nozzles will be fine for me, just waiting for a sale or a good price..

To answer your question, DPS or Big Dog Performance in Calgary would have no problem installing these for you.

..Joe
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM

I did the studs and headgasket on my 01 by myself BUT that was with a resurfaced head and a cleaned up block. I had blew it at that time but I couldn't pass that by the Mrs. today because it still has warranty. I really want to do one at a time as my headgasket is good and has never been moved. I'm not scared to do it at all just don't want to have to remove the head, get it checked out, etc....
In other words, I don't want the old lady to harp on me due to spending $20, 000.00 on the 01'!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
The Guru

Why are you putting in studs anyways? You still running the stock turbo? You could just crank up the stock bolts. You could theoretically just release the original head bolt (one at a time) and then crank them up to 125 ft*lbs. You should be good to 50psi. Tons of protection for a stock turbo truck. I'll be more worried about running such a large injector on a stock tranny and low rail pressure issues than bursting a head gasket. Either way the truck will break some day, stock or not. It a better selling features when it breaks, on stock parts. My wife has just given up on me. Its all about the delivery speech to the wife.

Studs might be an bigger issue with dodge, if there is an engine claim. I would just slam back in the bolts and play dumb...

Quick Reply: Where To Get Headstuds Installed In Alberta???